TT in the future [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : TT in the future

blackraven
03-25-2014, 10:21 AM
I just got back from Albuquerque, NM and the friend that I was visiting gave me his Bellari VP129 phono preamp as he replaced it with the Rega Fono preamp. So I guess I will be buying a TT in the next few months. I have some research to do concerning the best tubes for it.

I had a great time in NM. We stayed up till 0500 every day and listened to music and drank Margarita's and shots of raspberry Moonshine. I think that I am done with alcohol for a few months!

blackraven
03-26-2014, 05:57 PM
I have been doing some research on Budget TT's and Cartridges. I am leaning to the Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Black and an Ortofon Bronze Cartridge. The Cartridge may be a little too high end for this TT but I have read some very good reviews with this combo. I am also looking to buy a used TT like a MH MMF5, RP3 or something similar.

Jack in Wilmington
03-27-2014, 03:31 PM
With the money I just got from selling my Anthem integrated, I'm thinking a new cartridge may be in my future. I may have to give Ortofon some thought. I was also looking at Bryston's new USB convertor, since my DAC only does 96/24. I have to decide if I'm going to be doing more vinyl or Hi Rez. listening.

blackraven
03-27-2014, 06:48 PM
Jack, the reviews on the Ortofon Bronze are great and the price is right. I would really like to drop some coin on the Clear Audio Concept, Music Hall MMF 7se or a VPI along with a $1K catridge and $1K phono preamp but its not going to happen. I would rather upgrade my Maggies to the 1.7's of the 3.7i speakers. I would also like a high end DAC in the $3K range. Too much to buy and not enough money!

I have been doing a lot of reading on TT's, phono preamps and cartridges. Some people say to get a better TT and a lesser cart. and preamp. Others say to put more money into the cart. and preamp. I am leaning to the latter. Although the Bellari preamp leaves much to be desired, but with some tube rolling and a better wall wart the sound can be much improved. And I can't complain about a free phono preamp.

Jack in Wilmington
03-28-2014, 04:17 AM
Jack, the reviews on the Ortofon Bronze are great and the price is right. I would really like to drop some coin on the Clear Audio Concept, Music Hall MMF 7se or a VPI along with a $1K catridge and $1K phono preamp but its not going to happen. I would rather upgrade my Maggies to the 1.7's of the 3.7i speakers. I would also like a high end DAC in the $3K range. Too much to buy and not enough money!

I have been doing a lot of reading on TT's, phono preamps and cartridges. Some people say to get a better TT and a lesser cart. and preamp. Others say to put more money into the cart. and preamp. I am leaning to the latter. Although the Bellari preamp leaves much to be desired, but with some tube rolling and a better wall wart the sound can be much improved. And I can't complain about a free phono preamp.

I've always been of the "better cart" philosophy. I feel a better cart can make an entry level table sound good, but a better table such as the Clearaudio won't sound good with an Ortofon Blue or other lower priced carts.

JohnMichael
03-28-2014, 06:17 AM
Better table, good cart is what I would choose. A great cartridge in a compromised tonearm will not give you your money's worth. An arm that has lesser bearings and materials will have higher levels of friction and the cartridge will not perform as it should. I also think the table should have very low levels of mechanical noise.

I have improved my table by rewiring the arm and a lowered counterweight. The arm tracks better and the rewire made for a more open sound. My machined subplatter, ceramic bearing, top and bottom bracing has reduced mechanical noise. The 24V motor has also reduced vibrations and improved speed stability. After the motor install and the braces my budget AT F7 sounds great.

What a turntable would need before I would put an expensive cartridge in it would be a quality bearing and very stable platter. A tonearm that is adjustable for tracking angle and azimuth. Very low friction in the pivot bearings, low resonant arm tube and quality wiring. Of course some form of housing that would not feed any mechanical noise back to the record.

blackraven
03-28-2014, 01:19 PM
JM, I fully agree with you. But with my budget I feel that I would get the most bang for the buck with the Debut which has a heavy platter and carbon arm combined with a good cartridge. There are quite a few people combining the Debut with the $450 Ortofon Bronze cartridge and getting excellent sound. However, if I can find a good used TT for about the price of a new Debut then I will go for it.

JohnMichael
03-28-2014, 02:02 PM
JM, I fully agree with you. But with my budget I feel that I would get the most bang for the buck with the Debut which has a heavy platter and carbon arm combined with a good cartridge. There are quite a few people combining the Debut with the $450 Ortofon Bronze cartridge and getting excellent sound. However, if I can find a good used TT for about the price of a new Debut then I will go for it.

I think that would be a good combination. I was thinking of a $1,500 cartridge with a severe profile that requires very careful adjustment. I do fine using spacers for VTA with an elliptical stylus but setting VTA for a MicroLine or Shibata stylus would require finer adjustment.

Mr Peabody
03-28-2014, 03:23 PM
JM has it correct, if you have to compromise then better table with lesser cart. I also find people too many times skimp on the phono stage which is also important. I bought the Performance and continued to use the 10x5 and will upgrade cart down the road. I was told the same as JM mentioned, an expensive cart will be wasted money on a table not able to bring out it's benefit. Sort of like hooking a receiver to the Dynaudio 1.8's. You want to find a quality table, then purchase a cart that has synergy with your phono stage. This is a bit more difficult than putting components together unless you have an analog guru dealer around, so often have to rely on those with experience who have tried various combos.

Ortofon is very good in a neutral dynamic way. When I upgrade it will be between Ortofon or Clearaudio's Meastro. The Dyna 20 may be an option ass my 10x5 is doing really good in my rig.

blackraven
03-28-2014, 03:38 PM
The reviews of the Debut say it responds well to a higher end cartridge like the Orotofon Bronze or something similar in that price range. I think that if I get this set up the Bellari will be the limiting factor. After hearing the Rega Fono, I would consider upgrading to it or maybe the Clear Audio Nano. There are a couple of good NOS tubes that steps up the quality of sound in the Bellari. Replacing the cheap wall wart with a radio shack Enercell wall wart with its filtering is supposed to really improve the sound, giving it a very black background.

02audionoob
04-01-2014, 08:13 PM
I too am of the belief that it's good turntable first, good cartridge second. However, I do have a Debut III with a Dynavector 10x4 MKII on it.

blackraven
04-03-2014, 07:16 AM
I too am of the belief that it's good turntable first, good cartridge second. However, I do have a Debut III with a Dynavector 10x4 MKII on it.

How do you like that combo?

The more reading that I have been doing the more I am convinced to go with a higher end cartridge and phono preamp vs a higher end TT. I am not talking about buying a junk TT. The TT is only going to be as good as its phono preamp and catridge. I feel that to get the most out of the TT you need a quality catridge and preamp, at least something that is comparable in cost, not 2x's the cost of the TT. There are definitely 2 schools of thought. And I certainly understand wow, flutter, rumble, speed control, resonance and other parameters of what makes a good TT.

There is a used Rega P3 24 TT with an Elyse cartridge for sale for $599. I may buy it today if it is still available.

02audionoob
04-03-2014, 05:41 PM
Until the Apheta cartridge, Rega used to put the $600 Exact on their $5,000 P9. Even now, the Apheta they're selling with their top of the line turntables doesn't approach the price of the turntables. The price of the Exact doesn't approach the price of the RP6 they bundle with it. On my own P9, I was very impressed with how good the modest Dynavector sounded. I was also impressed with how good the Elys sounded on my previous P5. My current cartridge is a Benz that currently lists for less than a third of what the P9 sold for at the time.

That aside, the $400 Dynavector sounds nice on the $400 Pro-Ject. It's in a system with poorly placed speakers, due to room use, so it has its limitations. But with a sub and with my ears in the sweet spot, it serves well.

hifitommy
04-16-2014, 12:01 PM
a friend recently bought this tt and the $1k pro-ject phono which turns out to be fanTASTic. he ugraded to the next cart up from the blackbird and he now listens almost exclusively to vinyl.

Pro-Ject Xtension 10 Turntable | The Absolute Sound (http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/pro-ject-xtension-10-turntable/)

i have heard his setup and am mightily impressed.

blackraven
04-17-2014, 08:46 AM
That is a beautiful TT.

I missed out on the used Rega P3 24.

Mr Peabody
04-17-2014, 07:42 PM
Too bad on the Rega, that looked like a good deal. The Xtension was on my list but it is too tall for the space I had. Not same level but the Perspex is a good looking table too.

E-Stat
04-22-2014, 10:13 AM
I just got back from Albuquerque, NM and the friend that I was visiting gave me his Bellari VP129 phono preamp as he replaced it with the Rega Fono preamp. I have some research to do concerning the best tubes for it.
First of all, there's only one tube for two channels and it doesn't make tons of difference.

I owned one for a while. Not bad, but on the opaque side. I replaced the original tube with two other 12AX7s while experimenting. Four op amps do all the heavy lifting.

hifitommy
08-14-2016, 04:36 PM
i bought the bellari BEFORE mikey reviewed it and came up with his answer before he did. not bad for the money but i would love to try a Schiit Mani with mc/mm capability, all ss for $160!

it has been well received in the press.

Feanor
08-15-2016, 07:21 AM

Why are you interested in getting into vinyl? Is it because the music you like is on vinyl OR because you hope for better sound? Which ever the reason or combination, I don't see much point doing half-heartedly: this would be courting disappointment.

I'll admit that I ceased to care about vinyl in the mid-90's when virtually all music became available on CD. My taste ran (and runs) to classical music, and by then it was clear that most old and pretty much ALL new releases were on CD.

But back in the day, I believed, as I still do, in the "weakest link in the chain" philosophy. And that applied to the TT/tonearm/cartridge/phono preamp combination. My best phono setup comprised a Sonus Blue cartridge on a Grace 707 tonearm on a French-made ERA belt-drive TT, all ahead of an Apt Holman preamp -- not too bad a setup in the pre-megabuck epoch.

Feanor
08-15-2016, 08:09 AM
i bought the bellari BEFORE mikey reviewed it and came up with his answer before he did. not bad for the money but i would love to try a Schiit Mani with mc/mm capability, all ss for $160!

it has been well received in the press.

I can't speak to the Mani but I've been well pleased with the other Schiit products i've owned, viz.

Modi DAC (original)
Bifrost DAC (original)
Bifrost Uber upgrade
Asgard 2 headphone amp
Bifrost Multibit upgrade -- a truly outstanding product for the money; great esp. with 16/44 recordings
Gungnir Multibit DAC

hifitommy
08-15-2016, 10:44 AM
i have to say that not nearly as much money need be spent on a phono setup to sound better than the equivalent amount spent on a digital player. hre is the easy way in:

Akai BT-500 Turntable with Bluetooth (http://www.costco.com/.product.100280172.html?krypto=w1Cfxg4AMNIcX28DSsy mWAU8Fz%2Ff2Z1rmbPCO03J%2BsPccHkF8sbdScFpYCkg1kVzO FigIbNFdo0b%0AutKg3E9OKP%2FZCDdmq3qvkO4YvR2xAiIfKc xjf32uveRBSVZ17Kmo)

this can be used with you stereo or directly to the computer. the cart is an AT at95e, pretty good sounding for the bucks but a better one could be fitted if preferred.

once bitten by the bug and you hear more music from your LPs than CDs, you will then know when upgrades should be considered. incremental changes can effect more than incremental gains.

here is the very same table branded as TEAC for less money:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00P9WK1BW/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_2?pf_rd_p=1944687542&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B000FMNBXG&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=XQN4VKKD3RZD09YG0AXF

i have the akai version that my daughter got me for easy computer transfer. pretty good value. so far, so good.

blackraven
08-15-2016, 12:27 PM
Why are you interested in getting into vinyl? Is it because the music you like is on vinyl OR because you hope for better sound? Which ever the reason or combination, I don't see much point doing half-heartedly: this would be courting disappointment.

I'll admit that I ceased to care about vinyl in the mid-90's when virtually all music became available on CD. My taste ran (and runs) to classical music, and by then it was clear that most old and pretty much ALL new releases were on CD.

But back in the day, I believed, as I still do, in the "weakest link in the chain" philosophy. And that applied to the TT/tonearm/cartridge/phono preamp combination. My best phono setup comprised a Sonus Blue cartridge on a Grace 707 tonearm on a French-made ERA belt-drive TT, all ahead of an Apt Holman preamp -- not too bad a setup in the pre-megabuck epoch.

I got back into vinyl because a friend gave me his Bellari Phono preamp and I have vinyl from the 70's and 80's. My system is modest. I bought a refurbished 1970's Thoren's TD-145 TT for $240 (I built a new plinth for it out of Cocobolo wood and lined the inside with GTMAT, made a new bottom cover out of Baltic Birch and put sorbothane feet on it.) and a good sounding Nagaoka MP-200 cartridge that I bought straight from Japan and saved about $200 off the local price in doing so.

I am using a 1950's Raytheon 12AX7 tube that has the long shiny black plates with my Bellari which has transformed the sound of the Bellari. The total cost of my analog system was about $500.

I find that well recorded vinyl sounds better in many respects than digital. The sound is more natural. Even my audiophile buddies who have heard my vinyl commented on this and are thinking about getting TT's. One of the guys is in his early 30's and had never heard vinyl before said he gets it and understands why people love vinyl. Vinyl will never replace my digital, it just complements it.

Feanor
08-15-2016, 02:36 PM
I got back into vinyl because a friend gave me his Bellari Phono preamp and I have vinyl from the 70's and 80's. My system is modest. I bought a refurbished 1970's Thoren's TD-145 TT for $240 (I built a new plinth for it out of Cocobolo wood and lined the inside with GTMAT, made a new bottom cover out of Baltic Birch and put sorbothane feet on it.) and a good sounding Nagaoka MP-200 cartridge that I bought straight from Japan and saved about $200 off the local price in doing so.

I am using a 1950's Raytheon 12AX7 tube that has the long shiny black plates with my Bellari which has transformed the sound of the Bellari. The total cost was about $500.

I find that well recorded vinyl sounds better in many respects than digital. The sound is more natural. Even my audiophile buddies who have heard my vinyl commented on this and are thinking about getting TT's. One of the guys is in his early 30's and had never heard vinyl before said he gets it and understands why people love vinyl. Vinyl will never replace my digital, it just complements it.

Sounds like you have a nice rig that should give you very pleasing results.

In fact I still have my ERA TT and Grace tonearm; the tonearms needs a minor repair but I think it's a DIY. I also have a mediocre Technics direct drive TT that I was using occasionally about 3 years ago with a modest Denon h/o MC cartridge. I don't have a phono preamp but I would consider the Schiit hifitommy mentioned if I wanted to get back into it. The fact is, though, that as of the last time I listened I didn't find I like the vinyl better, (listening mostly to classical). It remains my opinion that the most of the vinyl/digital difference is in the mastering, not the medium.

Mr Peabody
08-15-2016, 07:06 PM
I've read good reviews on a Ifi phono stage for a good performing inexpensive piece.

I have been told by a few analog guys I trust a rig is better off with a good turntable and less expensive cart opposed to the other way around. The Rega P3 was a great match with the Dynavector 10x5. When I got the upgrade bug I was told not to spend more money than the 10x5 with the P3 it was better to upgrade the table. The same 10x5 still sounding great on my Performance. I guess to complete the experiment I would have had to hear my Maestro on the P3.

It's difficult to find any "norms" or rules of thumb on analog, I found researching frustrating. I ended up with a pleasing rig though.

blackraven
08-15-2016, 07:52 PM
I've read good reviews on a Ifi phono stage for a good performing inexpensive piece.

I have been told by a few analog guys I trust a rig is better off with a good turntable and less expensive cart opposed to the other way around. The Rega P3 was a great match with the Dynavector 10x5. When I got the upgrade bug I was told not to spend more money than the 10x5 with the P3 it was better to upgrade the table. The same 10x5 still sounding great on my Performance. I guess to complete the experiment I would have had to hear my Maestro on the P3.

It's difficult to find any "norms" or rules of thumb on analog, I found researching frustrating. I ended up with a pleasing rig though.

I think that it boils down to what cartridge and what table you are going with. You certainly don't want to pair a $2000 table with a $100 cartridge and visa vera. It is all about matching and the phono preamp needs to be considered.

My Thorens came with a 2m Red which was dreadful, grainy and bright. I went with the Nagaoka which costs 4 times more and the sound was transformed.

I think that you will get better sound pairing a $300-$500 table with a $200-$400 cartridge than a cheaper cartridge. As long as your phono preamp and the rest of your gear is up to the task

However, if you go with a more expensive table and a cheap cartridge, you can always upgrade the cartridge later.

topspeed
08-16-2016, 09:27 AM
Wow, this is an old thread!

Without getting into the analog vs digital debate, I will say that analog is the more dangerous medium for your pocketbook. I've heard a few dacs, some good, some not so much, and the improvements were always incremental. Unfortunately, I've also heard some very good tt's with my own LP's and the difference between what I hear on my beginner set-up and what I heard on their's made me want to cry. It wasn't incremental, it wasn't subtle, and it will forever haunt me. I'm not knowledgeable enough to know whether it was the table, tonearm, or cart that was extracting so much more information from the groove, but the end result floored me. Considering the Soundsmith cart cost twice as much as my entire tt, I guess I shouldn't have been surprised, but that's what happens when you're a noob. There's a certain freedom to being ignorant and honestly, there's a part of me that wishes I was still an innocent. Now all I want is a VPI, lol!

blackraven
08-16-2016, 10:29 AM
Wow, this is an old thread!

Without getting into the analog vs digital debate, I will say that analog is the more dangerous medium for your pocketbook. I've heard a few dacs, some good, some not so much, and the improvements were always incremental. Unfortunately, I've also heard some very good tt's with my own LP's and the difference between what I hear on my beginner set-up and what I heard on their's made me want to cry. It wasn't incremental, it wasn't subtle, and it will forever haunt me. I'm not knowledgeable enough to know whether it was the table, tonearm, or cart that was extracting so much more information from the groove, but the end result floored me. Considering the Soundsmith cart cost twice as much as my entire tt, I guess I shouldn't have been surprised, but that's what happens when you're a noob. There's a certain freedom to being ignorant and honestly, there's a part of me that wishes I was still an innocent. Now all I want is a VPI, lol!

Every part of the analog chain is important. For me, going from a 2M Red cartridge to a Nagaoka was a huge step up is sound quality with another huge leap when I upgraded the tube in my phono preamp. I would like to know if I would see another significant leap in sound if I upgraded my TT to something in the $1500 range over my vintage Thorens. I have also been contemplating to upgrading the phono preamp to a Jolida or even building the Pass Labs Pearl 2 or the Akiko phono preamp-

GlasssWare Phono Preamps (http://glass-ware.stores.yahoo.net/aiphpcb.html)

I have a friend who is building a Pearl 2 with high end caps and resistors. I am going to wait to see what he has to say about it.

Mr Peabody
08-16-2016, 11:02 AM
Blackraven, I believe you are right, it's domponent matching, I just found it more difficult in the analog world to find concensus on "matching". I am always surprised at how many times I see people putting expensive carts on lesser tables, or, having a great table and cart to cheap out on the phono preamp.

Mr Peabody
08-16-2016, 11:10 AM
Yeah, TS, there is sometimes something to be said for innocense. I remember way back when I eye balled the arm being parallel and set the counter weight at zero, dialed in the recommended weight and ran with it. I often wonder how much better that old Pioneer would have sounded with a proper set up. Now I'm pretty much anal about set up. That's really bad since I rely on others to do it for me :)

Feanor
08-16-2016, 04:47 PM
i have to say that not nearly as much money need be spent on a phono setup to sound better than the equivalent amount spent on a digital player. hre is the easy way in:

Akai BT-500 Turntable with Bluetooth (http://www.costco.com/.product.100280172.html?krypto=w1Cfxg4AMNIcX28DSsy mWAU8Fz%2Ff2Z1rmbPCO03J%2BsPccHkF8sbdScFpYCkg1kVzO FigIbNFdo0b%0AutKg3E9OKP%2FZCDdmq3qvkO4YvR2xAiIfKc xjf32uveRBSVZ17Kmo)

this can be used with you stereo or directly to the computer. the cart is an AT at95e, pretty good sounding for the bucks but a better one could be fitted if preferred.

once bitten by the bug and you hear more music from your LPs than CDs, you will then know when upgrades should be considered. incremental changes can effect more than incremental gains.

here is the very same table branded as TEAC for less money:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00P9WK1BW/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_2?pf_rd_p=1944687542&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B000FMNBXG&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=XQN4VKKD3RZD09YG0AXF

i have the akai version that my daughter got me for easy computer transfer. pretty good value. so far, so good.

HFT, I know you're a vinyl fan from 'way back. Thanks for these references, those are nice looking units and would seem easy to use.

I suspect I'd be no worse off using my old Technics SL-D2 and Denon DL-110 cartridge, (pictured below), but I would need a phono preamp, (since I sold the Cambridge pictured). If I were to get back into it, I'd likely get that Schiit Mani 2 you mentioned.

However I have a very small LP collection and I wouldn't expect to buy many new ones if only because I listen to classical and there isn't much classical being released on LP. Thus new investment of time & money in vinyl playback would offer limited payback for me. The days of cheap, good used classical LPs are gone forever; unfortunately I missed on on the trend of people dumping them for CDs.

http://gallery.audioreview.com/data/500/System07Jan-analog_1_.jpg

blackraven
08-16-2016, 08:18 PM
Feanor, the Emotiva XPS phono preamp has gotten good reviews. I am thinking about buying it for my son to use with a vintage Pioneer PL-55d TT that I have. Or I may try and score a used Bellari. I am going to slap on an Ortofon 2M Blue or an AT AT-7V. I need a cartridge with a more neutral to bright sound as that TT is extremely warm sounding as opposed the the Nagaoka which is warmer.

JohnMichael
08-16-2016, 09:39 PM
When I think of my Rega with the RB250 tonearm and no adjustments other than spacers for VTA I tend to avoid severe stylus profiles. All my cartridges are elliptical styli and operate well at an average height determined visually and audibly. When you have records of various thickness I find it best to set for the medium and tolerate the varirnces. I think you should pick a cartridge both for the tonearm it will be installed in and the phono preamp that will be amplifying the signal.

Feanor
08-17-2016, 03:53 AM
Feanor, the Emotiva XPS phono preamp has gotten good reviews. I am thinking about buying it for my son to use with a vintage Pioneer PL-55d TT that I have. Or I may try and score a used Bellari. I am going to slap on an Ortofon 2M Blue or an AT AT-7V. I need a cartridge with a more neutral to bright sound as that TT is extremely warm sounding as opposed the the Nagaoka which is warmer.

Oh stop it, you guys. :nono: You're tempting me to haul out my gear and listen to my LP collection one more time.

The last time I pulled my TT from the system it was mainly because I need shelf space for other stuff than hi-fi gear. As you can see, there is plenty of that in the family living room where my stereo system is located.

http://gallery.audioasylum.com/cgi/gi.mpl?u=20428&f=my_stereo_system.jpg

topspeed
08-17-2016, 08:29 AM
Yeah, TS, there is sometimes something to be said for innocense. I remember way back when I eye balled the arm being parallel and set the counter weight at zero, dialed in the recommended weight and ran with it. Wait a sec...you mean to tell me that's not how you do it?!? That's literally what the Pro-Ject video told me to do, and now I'm guessing that's wrong? How am I supposed to set it up? I don't have the fancy protractor or any of that other hoo-haa.

However I have a very small LP collection and I wouldn't expect to buy many new ones if only because I listen to classical and there isn't much classical being released on LP. Thus new investment of time & money in vinyl playback would offer limited payback for me. My friend, you obviously haven't been into a local record store in quite a while. There are tons of classical records, many at ridiculous prices. Think $2-5! Garage sales are also an excellent resource. My neighbor retired to the coast and sold literally cases of classical lp's for a buck each at his garage sale. There were hundreds, and quite a few box sets, all in great condition. Also, once your friends find out you enjoy vinyl, you'll find them seeking you out just to give you their old collections because they don't listen to vinyl anymore. The loss of the classical music audience is definitely your gain as you'll be able to scoop up what very few want.

Feanor
08-17-2016, 08:42 AM
My friend, you obviously haven't been into a local record store in quite a while. There are tons of classical records, many at ridiculous prices. Think $2-5! Garage sales are also an excellent resource. My neighbor retired to the coast and sold literally cases of classical lp's for a buck each at his garage sale. There were hundreds, and quite a few box sets, all in great condition. Also, once your friends find out you enjoy vinyl, you'll find them seeking you out just to give you their old collections because they don't listen to vinyl anymore. The loss of the classical music audience is definitely your gain as you'll be able to scoop up what very few want.

TS, you mean well, and no doubt there was a time when classical vinyl was easy to find and dirt cheap. But -- at least in my neck of the woods -- these opportunities have dried up.

Maybe in some big cities there are specialty shops that have been able to corner some old collections, etcs., there aren't any of these where I've been living for last 20 years or so. I suppose I could drive to Toronto ...

The reason I got out of vinyl beginning in the mid '90s wasn't because I was convinced that CDs were "the perfect sound forever". The biggest reasons were (a) the rapidly shrinking availability of classical on vinyl, and (b) the ease of handling of CDs vs. LPs -- not to mention of either vs. computer files. I know there are people who still love the rituals setting up TTs and handling & playing LPs but they are not me.

Jaguar
09-09-2016, 04:07 PM
I'd love to try the Kronos, with respect to high end brands.