Axiom M80Ti vs KEF Q7 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Axiom M80Ti vs KEF Q7

bpaulovich
11-26-2003, 06:20 PM
I listened to some KEF Q Series 7's and the sound was not bad for $1200. I read that the Axiom's M80Ti's are getting some great reviews. Anyone have some good advise for me for I am about to purchase a pair of ...???? HELP!!! I also am looking at the Rotel 200 watt amp (RB-1080) and the $500 Rotel Pre Amp (RC-1070). I am trying to get the best I can with these three components and stay under three grand.A novice at this stuff.
Thanks in advance, bobpaulo

RGA
11-26-2003, 07:43 PM
What are you trying to build. A two channel audio system?

If so be patient and listen to a lot of stuff. Don't get swayed by misleading measurements and advertising campaigns and reviews.

I have been down your path. And nomatter how well something is reviewed...doesn't mean they're good...or even remotely competant for that matter. I have gone down this road and in the end I would suggest listening to a variety of music (including acoustic instrumental music).

The system I would buy with your budget would be a virtual polar opposite of the Rotel and Kef combo. And guess what? My stuff has great reviews too...so what do reviews tell you by themselves? Everything gets a great reiew somewhere. And guess what? They're not all right because most stuff is garbage IMO.

I personally would not by a speaker incorporating a metal tweeter in this price range, I'm not a fan of Rotel Preamps(which is more important than the power amp), and if you buy sensitive easy to drive speakers you can buy a MUCH superior integrated amp than average separates.

Just my, not so humble, opinion!! :-)

bpaulovich
11-26-2003, 08:38 PM
What are you trying to build. A two channel audio system? Yes, two channel audio.
If so be patient and listen to a lot of stuff. Don't get swayed by misleading measurements and advertising campaigns and reviews.

I have been down your path. And nomatter how well something is reviewed...doesn't mean they're good...or even remotely competant for that matter. I have gone down this road and in the end I would suggest listening to a variety of music (including acoustic instrumental music).

The system I would buy with your budget would be a virtual polar opposite of the Rotel and Kef combo. And guess what? My stuff has great reviews too...so what do reviews tell you by themselves? Everything gets a great reiew somewhere. And guess what? They're not all right because most stuff is garbage IMO.

I personally would not by a speaker incorporating a metal tweeter in this price range, I'm not a fan of Rotel Preamps(which is more important than the power amp), and if you buy sensitive easy to drive speakers you can buy a MUCH superior integrated amp than average separates.

Just my, not so humble, opinion!! :-)

I am building a 2 channel audio. How about the Rogue 70 Watter? Is it true that it could give me a better sound than the Rotel?

Pat D
11-26-2003, 09:07 PM
There is a review of the Axiom M80Ti on Soundstage.com, and you may wish to like it up, including the NRC measurements, as well as something like their M22, which could be used with a subwoofer and remain in your price range..

http://www.audiovideoreviews.com/speakers.shtml

The measurement seem a little strange in the mid-bass and lower midrange, but the variations are really not all that large, possibly a result of the many drivers. They may smooth out some with some distance. The reviewer liked it, as do many people, and thinks it works best in a large room.

http://www.soundstagemagazine.com/measurements/axiom_m80ti/

One nice thing about Axiom is that you can ship them back within 30 days if you don't like them.

http://www.axiomaudio.com/

On the other hand, if you like the Kefs, after looking around at some of the competition, there is no reason not to get them. It boils down to what YOU like in a speaker.

http://www.kef.com/reviews/pdfs/Q7HiFiWorld.pdf

RGA
11-26-2003, 11:56 PM
I am building a 2 channel audio. How about the Rogue 70 Watter? Is it true that it could give me a better sound than the Rotel?

I'm unfamiliar with the Rogue.

PatD advice works well in that you can return the speakers if you don't like them. It is ONLY useful if the company will pay ALL shipping costs entirely both ways. Otherwise Axiom and ANY on line speaker operator is gambling that the vast majority won't bother to lose money on shipping and will just make-do with the speaker.

This is after all the ONLY reason computer companies offer mail in rebates on computers and peripherals. These companies do it because the vast majority never ever send in their rebates for that $10.00 because it's a pain in the neck.

I have heard favourable things said about Axiom in that basically they are a similar sounding much cheaper version of Paradigms...that unfortunately doesn't help me because I would not want to necessarily own any of the Paradigms.

I also don't see the need for buying a speaker unheard since you can probably get a home demo of the Kefs.

I personally would look at speakers using a soft dome tweeter or possibly a stat or planar, or horn(depending on the horn).

It again depends on the type of sound you're looking for. But be very careful of the top end. many speakers sound like an upgrade waiting to happen. If the sound is etchy or the slightest bit bright then make sure you spend a LOT of time with it. The fact is that while not all recordings are great - neither are they as bad as many think they are. You don't want a speaker that willplay the great recordings well enough but reduce your the 90% of stuff you actually want to listen to to a pile of rubbish.

For 3k, I would have my speakers AN K or AN E (or the Reference 3a MM De CapoUSED) and the one of: Sugden A21a/Audio refinement Complete/YBA Integre DT(Used)/Antique Sound Labs AQ1003DT tube amp and a competant cd player.

If loud rock is your main goal and you really want a floorstander, then the B&W 603S3 or 604s3, Energy C9, the Axiom you're looking at, Paradigm Studio 100 are all worth looking at. IMO, if classical, jazz, female vocals, intrumentals and acoustic music are on the agenda and you listen critically(not just in the background for guests) then none of these would be on my list...and they're some of the better floorstanders for the money.

I probably prefer a different sound than you. But do go out and try and listen. The market is innundated with slim line designs because they are easier and cheaper to make, ship, build. Sound is a distant second place to profit margin IMO.

Jimmy C
11-27-2003, 03:25 AM
...enthralled with the KEFs. I would wait 'till you find a speaker you really like.

You already have a few ideas, I'll give you two more - the little Vienna Hadyn and the Paradigm Studio 40, v3. The Vienna has a slightly softer sound, good for Jazz and light ensemble, while the Studio a better rocker, better bass and dynamics - the new v3 is a noticeable improvement. A great all-rounder for about $800. Both need stands.

I have what is essentially the last version of the Rotel stuff you are looking at... very good for the money, IMO. I have subtituted a different pre (Bryston) and a different power amp, but the differences were subtle... I think you are very safe with that combo. Oh - pretty damn good phono stage in the pre if you are interested.

I would simply listen to everything you can before making any decesions.

Have fun with the hunt!

Geoffcin
11-27-2003, 04:28 AM
While I have heard KEF speakers, and have liked them, I was very impressed with Axiom, both the company and the speakers. Axiom was one of the finalists when I went to buy a dedicated HT speaker system. If you do decide to purchase Axioms, you will NOT be disapointed. Several of their speakers are truly amazing. A speaker like the Millennia M2i standmount, is an incredible bargain, and can be compared to speakers many times it's price, even some as vounted as the DeCapo (except for the bass extention). Your 80ti uses the same tweeter and mid as the M2i so the sound will be similar, only with much more extended bass. Also, if you add the M2i's as surround speakers you will have a very good HT system.