Van Halen with Sammy Hagar or David Lee Roth [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Van Halen with Sammy Hagar or David Lee Roth

Smokey
03-21-2014, 07:45 PM
This always seem to be a popular question around rock forums, so here it is :)

Musically (despite VH having more #1 songs with Hagar as singer), would you prefer Van Halan with Roth or Hagar as lead singer?

I was never a big fan of Van Halen, but their later albums wasn't too bad including VH last album with Roth titled 1984. After Roth departure, Sammy Hagar joined Van Halen as lead singer and their first album together 5150 sound much more mature and refined than previous albums.

I also find Hagar's songs lyrics have more depth and meaning than lyrics that David Lee Roth was singing. So I guess I prefer VH with Sammy Hagar as lead singer due to more catchy music and lyrics :)

http://nme.assets.ipccdn.co.uk/images/gallery/86130852michael_vanhalen_REDFERNS_01.jpg

http://defleppardforever.weebly.com/uploads/9/3/2/5/9325845/4053222_orig.jpg

Mr Peabody
03-21-2014, 09:07 PM
I like both versions of VH. Living in St. Louis I was well aware of Sammy and his solo career well before VH. Then I Can't Drive 55 really broke him out across the U.S. and put him on MTV. I thought VH having Sammy front the band was a wise move, much smarter than trying to find a Roth clone. Then when Dave put together his post VH band with Steve Vye and bassist Billy Sheen, I thought, wow, this is going to be interesting. I have all the VH with Roth and a couple Roth solo post VH albums. I also have several of Sammy's albums and 3 with him and VH. I think 5150 & OU812 are as strong as any VH albums of any period, although for me the 1st VH album will hold #1.. And, any Rock collection has a gaping hole without the Montrose, Rock The Nation album.

kexodusc
03-22-2014, 02:27 AM
When it comes to VH, I always preferred Gary Cherone.

Mr Peabody
03-22-2014, 05:40 AM
H i Kex, good to hear from you, don't be such a stranger. I'm sure Smokey appreciates you pointing out his over sight of such a spectacular period of VH, although very short, LOL.

TheHills44060
03-22-2014, 06:46 AM
Roth, no comparison.

Smokey
03-23-2014, 08:46 PM
I'm sure Smokey appreciates you pointing out his over sight of such a spectacular period of VH, although very short, LOL.

I didn't remember any of VH songs with Cherone :D

He sound alot like Sammy, with limited higher notes.

MasterCylinder
03-24-2014, 05:12 AM
Roth is just silly............goofy............a dork !

Hagar is genetically engineered to be a rock singer.

ForeverAutumn
03-24-2014, 06:18 AM
I'd have to see Hagar in a set of assless chaps in order to make this decision.

MasterCylinder
03-24-2014, 06:54 AM
FA just confirmed my post.

ForeverAutumn
03-24-2014, 08:21 AM
Hagar is genetically engineered to be a rock singer.

FA just confirmed my post.

I don't know about that. I kinda like the way Roth is genetically engineered in that photo. ;)

Smokey
03-24-2014, 08:07 PM
I don't know about that. I kinda like the way Roth is genetically engineered in that photo. ;)Roth seems to be (or used to be) a very physically fit person. If you look at 1984 video Jump, Dave does all of leg spliting and and high above the head kicks. Those body moves require a very toned body :)

MasterCylinder
03-25-2014, 08:08 AM
I don't know about that. I kinda like the way Roth is genetically engineered in that photo. ;)

Roth seems to be (or used to be) a very physically fit person. If you look at 1984 video Jump, Dave does all of leg spliting and and high above the head kicks. Those body moves require a very toned body :)

So maybe he should have been a gymnast. My comment is in the context of a vocalist.
Ann Wilson can sing a rock song as good as anyone that could take a breath but she wouldn't make much of a gymnast with assless chaps.

Unworthy
03-25-2014, 09:02 AM
Ann Wilson can sing a rock song as good as anyone that could take a breath but she wouldn't make much of a gymnast with assless chaps.

Now, Nancy, that's another story altogether. :-)

Smokey
03-25-2014, 07:38 PM
so maybe he should have been a gymnast.

lmao :biggrin5:

3LB
04-07-2014, 05:56 AM
I picked DLR - why? Cuz that's what I grew up with. Don't get me wrong, I love me some Hagar and was thrilled when I heard he was replacing DLR in VH, but was underwhelmed with the product. And years after the fact and all that harping and back-biting between both parties, I feel that Sammy is better off without VH and VH is better off with DLR. The Van Halen brothers were fortunate to have either one at any point in time.

Finch Platte
04-26-2014, 11:32 AM
" Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a yacht big enough to pull up right alongside it."

David Lee Roth