Reel Master Tape Recording / Listening [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Reel Master Tape Recording / Listening

Simone Cappelli
03-21-2014, 01:09 AM
Hi there,

does anyone have experience on listening Master Tape Recording on Reels?

Which kind of machines do you have as source? Where do you get your Tapes?

Many thanks in advance.

Simone Cappelli
03-22-2014, 04:50 AM
Very funny!

I'm talking about these actually:

the Tape Project (http://www.tapeproject.com)

bfalls
03-24-2014, 07:30 AM
Back in the day, I used to calibrate and listen to reels of tape on several different playback drives. We received both 8-track and cassette masters from New York on reels recorded at 15ips. These were normally played back on 15ips 3M Isoloop playback units and then the cassettes were processed with DolbyB/C. They were converted to 71/2" playback speed for running on the duplication playback units.

For A/B playback to compare Reel 8-Track Master to product, we used an Ampeg 8-Track deck. For Cassette Masters we used either Scully or Otari playback units.

For QC at the end of production lines we used Otari cassette and 8-Track reel playback units.

It's amazing how familiar you become with manipulating reels of tape. At first they seem very fragile and that the tape would fall off the reel. You soon realize the tape is on the reel pretty tight and easy to maneuver through the tape guides.

John Burke
03-27-2016, 06:29 PM
Tape Project tapes are excellent. I play 15 ips tapes (Master copies) using Ingenium Teresonic spekers, an Otari 5050B-II or an Ampex ATR 102 (best) through silver cables from Audio Note on an Audio Integrated 10 wpc amp- EL84's and a tape preamp from Bottlehead. Fantastic sound.
John