Dumpster diving for music [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Dumpster diving for music

Smokey
03-15-2014, 09:29 PM
Last week as I was taking out trash to the dumpster, I notice there was a box sitting beside dumpster with bunch of CDs. Took a closer look and all of CDs were songs from 70's.

There were three sets of TimeLife music CDs which include 12 CDs (2 CDs in each jewel box) of Singers and Songwriter from 60's and 70's, 10 CDs of Classic Soft Rock and 7 CDs of Sound of Seventies compilations from TimeLife.

Also greatest hits CDs from Journey, CCR, ABBA, Cheap Trick, Santana and Rod Steward. And a CD of greatest disco hits thrown in for good measure.

All in all, 36 CDs total. TimeLife music compliation cost about $130 for each set, so I am looking at $390 worth of music CDs. Should do dumpster diving more often :) .

Finch Platte
03-26-2014, 05:35 AM
Last week as I was taking out trash to the dumpster, I notice there was a box sitting beside dumpster with bunch of CDs. Took a closer look and all of CDs were songs from 70's.

There were three sets of TimeLife music CDs which include 12 CDs (2 CDs in each jewel box) of Singers and Songwriter from 60's and 70's, 10 CDs of Classic Soft Rock and 7 CDs of Sound of Seventies compilations from TimeLife.

Also greatest hits CDs from Journey, CCR, ABBA, Cheap Trick, Santana and Rod Steward. And a CD of greatest disco hits thrown in for good measure.

All in all, 36 CDs total. TimeLife music compliation cost about $130 for each set, so I am looking at $390 worth of music CDs. Should do dumpster diving more often :) .

Gonna pity-post you here. Can't believe you got over 140 views and nobody (what happened to him?) has commented. But finds like that are fun, and that's quite a haul! I would have put the disco CD back, tho. :arf:

Funny thing is, I was going to say that I don't often revisit oldies unless I'm making a comp for someone, but I wouldn't turn down a find like yours. For me, it's usually about new stuff, but as I look in my CD player, I see I was about to play Sucking The 70s, Back In The Saddle Again, a 2-disc set of 70s classics recovered by modern-day stoner bands (yes, I know there's a first volume). It's one of my favorite compilations (and I have hundreds, as I'm sure many of you do).

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/f/f8/Sucking_the_70s_2.jpg

Disc 1
1."Are You Ready" - Sasquatch (originally performed by Grand Funk Railroad)
2."Crazy Horses" - Puny Human (originally performed by The Osmonds)
3."Red Hot Mama" - Clutch & Five Horse Johnson (originally performed by Funkadelic)
4."Rock Candy" - Dixie Witch (originally performed by Montrose)
5."Don't Lie to Me" - The Brought Low (originally performed by Big Star)
6."Sin City" - Novadriver (originally performed by AC/DC)
7."One Way or Another" - Colour Haze (originally performed by Cactus)
8."Man on the Silver Mountain" - Alabama Thunderpussy (originally performed by Rainbow)
9."Mongoloid" - Dozer (originally performed by Devo)
10."The Stake" - Acid King (originally performed by Steve Miller Band)
11."Honky Cat" - Halfway to Gone (originally performed by Elton John)
12."Those Shoes" - Antler (originally performed by The Eagles)
13."Outlaw Man" - Brad Davis (Fu Manchu) (originally performed by The Eagles)
14."Season of the Witch" - Gideon Smith & the Dixie Damned (originally performed by Donovan)
15."Runnin' With the Devil" - Whitney Morgan and the Waycross Georgia Farmboys (originally performed by Van Halen)

Disc 2
1."I Just Wanna Make Love to You" - Throttlerod (originally performed by Muddy Waters, covered by many 70s bands)
2."Saturday Night Special" - Red Giant (originally performed by Lynyrd Skynyrd)
3."Bonie Maronie" - A Thousand Knives of Fire (originally performed by Ritchie Valens)
4."Rock 'n' Roll Singer" - The Glasspack (originally performed by AC/DC)
5."When the Levee Breaks" - Roadsaw (originally performed by Led Zeppelin)
6."Super Stupid" - Greatdayforup (originally performed by Funkadelic)
7."Turn to Stone" - Fireball Ministry (originally performed by Joe Walsh)
8."Born to Be Wild" - Los Natas (originally performed by Steppenwolf)
9."Two of Us" - Scott Reeder (originally performed by The Beatles)
10."New Rose" - Orange Goblin (originally performed by The Damned)
11."Garden Road" - Mos Generator (originally performed by Rush)
12."Snortin' Whiskey" - Honky (originally performed by Pat Travers)
13."I Don't Need No Doctor" - The Muggs (originally performed by Ray Charles & covered by Humble Pie)
14."Neighbor, Neighbor" - Amplified Heat (originally performed by ZZ Top)
15."Parchment Farm" - RPG (originally performed by Bukka White, covered by many 70s bands)
16."Dreamweaver" - Valis (originally performed by Gary Wright)

So, where was I? I think I digressed! Oh, yeah. I was at The Last Record Store in Santa Rosa yesterday, and they have a deal where you can rent any used disc they have in stock for $3 for 3 days. Picked up several new/old things I'd been looking for: the new Neil Finn, Dizzy Heights; Lydia Loveless, Somewhere Else; Beth Hart/Joe Bonamassa, Seesaw; Rodriguez' Searching For Sugar Man; Steve Martin/Edie Brickell, Love Has Come For You; Buddy Guy's Buddy's Baddest. So, like you, I made a haul, I just had to pay a slight penalty. :p

So, what's my point? I don't have one, really, except that you owe me a pity post. :yesnod:

ForeverAutumn
03-26-2014, 09:17 AM
So to turn this thread into something completely different, what do think of the new Neil Finn? I'm a fan, and was excited about a new disk, but I was seriously disappointed in it. What a huge snooze fest. :sleep:

Finch Platte
03-26-2014, 09:53 AM
So to turn this thread into something completely different, what do think of the new Neil Finn? I'm a fan, and was excited about a new disk, but I was seriously disappointed in it. What a huge snooze fest. :sleep:

Yeah, no kidding! I read a review somewhere and they said something along the lines of Neil's really pushing the boundaries, or something like that. I think they could play this sh!t in an old folks home to get them to take their naps. I only listened to 3 songs, but thought "I have 5 other discs to listen to, why am I wasting my time with this drivel?"

Dude needs to drink some coffee or something.

Edit: Are these reviewers getting different copies or something? Album Review: Neil Finn - Dizzy Heights / Releases / Releases // Drowned In Sound (http://drownedinsound.com/releases/18071/reviews/4147403)

"..you won't find it dull"

I beg to differ.

Smokey
03-26-2014, 08:21 PM
Gonna pity-post you here. Can't believe you got over 140 views and nobody (what happened to him?) has commented.

Not any more :D

Thanks for the pity post. Those 70's remake you posted sound interesting. Classics remake seem to be hit or miss. For example, No Doubt did a cover version of It's My Life (Talk Talk song) and it was terrible.

I was at The Last Record Store in Santa Rosa yesterday, and they have a deal where you can rent any used disc they have in stock for $3 for 3 days.

That is not a bad deal considering making digital copy of CD for your self :)