Jason and the Argonauts [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Jason and the Argonauts

Smokey
03-13-2014, 07:01 PM
Finally found a copy of 1963 movie Jason and the Argonauts on DVD and been looking for this DVD for over 10 years.

This is probably the best stop-motion animation film ever made depicting Greek myth. Jason recruits the Argonauts to crew his ship, and along the way they encounter a variety of mythic creatures, including the 100-foot bronze god Talos, the batlike Harpies, the seven-headed reptilian Hydra, and an army of skeletons wielding sword and shield.

The last sequence with skeletons remains one of Hollywood's iconic fight scene that have never been topped. highly recommended :)

http://library.creativecow.net/articles/kaufman_debra/Ray-Harryhausen/assets/Jason-and-the-Argonauts-at-filmintdotnu.jpg

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-Olb-IgjwydI/UsHpyVM7QqI/AAAAAAAAP3M/wZLSwIBuF-Y/s1600/talos-in-jason-and-the-argonauts.jpg

Worf101
03-14-2014, 05:34 AM
JATA was perhaps Ray Harryhausen's finest work. The patience and skill of the skeleton fight was/is beyond words. Sure CGI could do it cheaper... but better? I'm not so sure... I still remember the chill that went down my spine when the skeletons, advancing in lock step, suddenly let out a scream and run at the Argonauts swords flying.. Wow what masterful work. Great call Smokey!!!!

Worf

thekid
03-15-2014, 08:17 PM
You all can come on down and watch my copy on Laserdisc.......
It will be part of a double feature along with "Earth vs. The Flying Saucers"

Smokey
03-15-2014, 09:38 PM
I still remember the chill that went down my spine when the skeletons, advancing in lock step, suddenly let out a scream and run at the Argonauts swords flying.. Wow what masterful work.

Definitely agree. One can see influence of that scene in the Mummy Triology films with Branden Frazer.

You all can come on down and watch my copy on Laserdisc.......
It will be part of a double feature along with "Earth vs. The Flying Saucers"

If only the film is in widescreen with free beer. Most DVD copies I seen are in pan&scan format :)

thekid
03-16-2014, 03:45 AM
Definitely agree. One can see influence of that scene in the Mummy Triology films with Branden Frazer.

If only the film is in widescreen with free beer. Most DVD copies I seen are in pan&scan format :)

Actually I think it is if I recall because I don't recall it being boxed but its been about 6 months since I last saw it. Both copies I mentioned are from the Ray Harryhausen Collection on Laserdisc. The JAA disc contains a interview with Ray by Joe Dante in which talks about many of the special effects he created including the skeletons that scared you so much. For me in that movie it was the warrior statue coming to life that I thought was so cool. I played JAA to my son not too long after I got it on LD and he loved it.

Sir Terrence the Terrible
03-24-2014, 12:15 PM
The DVD looks like crap next to Bluray.

The problem with the Bluray is the 1080p resolution causes many visual effects to pull apart at the seams. It gives too much away, which is why Harry stuck with 35mm on film.

Smokey
03-24-2014, 08:16 PM
The problem with the Bluray is the 1080p resolution causes many visual effects to pull apart at the seams. It gives too much away, which is why Harry stuck with 35mm on film.Almost the same thing can be said about 10 Commandments on Bluray. I have it on bluray and picture is so clear that all "blue background" scenes show their fakeness, and indoor scenes with alot of 'fake" stage props didn't fare better.