Pioneer VSX-41 Elite: Sub "Tweaking" Question [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Pioneer VSX-41 Elite: Sub "Tweaking" Question

Raymond
04-24-2004, 07:43 PM
I posted this question as an add-on to another thread 3 or 4 days ago and have not seen a response. I'm new here and possibly that's a no-no on this site. If so, please let me know.

So I started this new thread in the hope of getting some advice. Here's my post:

Just upgraded from a Prologic system and so some of the settings on the new <NOBR>AMP (http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?t=3869#)</NOBR> - <NOBR>Pioneer (http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?t=3869#)</NOBR> A/V VSX-41 Elite - are new to me. I have the operating manual dog-eared already but there's nothing like advice from the pros on this board. I hope you can bear with me on these very basic questions:

The settings on the amp allow me to send frequencies from 100Hz, 150Hz and 200Hz to the sub. The center and front speakers are Athena (c.5 and s.5 series) respectively, sub is RW-8 Klipsch. The center speaker specs state frequencies 60Hz-20kHz, the fronts 80Hz to 20kHz, Sub 30Hz-120Hz, Surrounds - my old bose V-100 speakers (don't remember the frequencies).

What settings should I set the sub to: 100, 150 or 200?? (YES, will definitely be getting an SPL meter, any suggestions are welcome in the meantime).

And here's a real dumb one but just have to ask: can sending frequencies outside of the frequencies of a speaker cause any damage to the speaker - in this case, the sub - or will those frequencies simply be lost??

Ray

<!-- / message -->

Geoffcin
04-25-2004, 03:36 AM
I posted this question as an add-on to another thread 3 or 4 days ago and have not seen a response. I'm new here and possibly that's a no-no on this site. If so, please let me know.

So I started this new thread in the hope of getting some advice. Here's my post:

Just upgraded from a Prologic system and so some of the settings on the new <NOBR>AMP (http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?t=3869#)</NOBR> - <NOBR>Pioneer (http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?t=3869#)</NOBR> A/V VSX-41 Elite - are new to me. I have the operating manual dog-eared already but there's nothing like advice from the pros on this board. I hope you can bear with me on these very basic questions:

The settings on the amp allow me to send frequencies from 100Hz, 150Hz and 200Hz to the sub. The center and front speakers are Athena (c.5 and s.5 series) respectively, sub is RW-8 Klipsch. The center speaker specs state frequencies 60Hz-20kHz, the fronts 80Hz to 20kHz, Sub 30Hz-120Hz, Surrounds - my old bose V-100 speakers (don't remember the frequencies).

What settings should I set the sub to: 100, 150 or 200?? (YES, will definitely be getting an SPL meter, any suggestions are welcome in the meantime).

And here's a real dumb one but just have to ask: can sending frequencies outside of the frequencies of a speaker cause any damage to the speaker - in this case, the sub - or will those frequencies simply be lost??

Ray

<!-- / message -->

And dont worry. The frequancy ratings on the speakers are all below the 100hz threshold.
Set your front and center speakers to LARGE, the rear to SMALL, and set the receiver to SUBWOOFER PLUS. This way your speakers will play full range, but the subwoofer will also play. If you don't like that, try setting your speakers to small, and subwoofer on. Play around with the settings until you get the one that you like best.

If your speakers are rated for the same of more power than the receiver you should not be ably to damage them so don't worry.

oakley#36
04-25-2004, 06:15 AM
I agree on the 100hz as the setting of choice. I have the elite 55txi and have been going from mains/center to large-sub PLUS. The next week mains/center small to sub YES, I can't tell the difference. The mic-calibration on my 55txi sets the speakers to large and I select sub setting. Plus setting will give you sub-action with stereo digital/analog. oakley36

Raymond
04-25-2004, 06:45 AM
Thanks for the info ... MUCH appreciated :D !

Another newbie question on sub:

The Klipsch RW-8 has 3 ways for connection - thru the LFE (bypasses sub crossover - Amp manages bass), through a Left-Right RCA input (sub handles bass frequencies) and directly from speaker outs on the Amp - of course, I have no intention of using this option.

I am now connected from the PREOUT on the Amp to the LFE on the sub. The sales guy - who seemed to know what he was talking about ??? - said that I could connect from the PREOUT on the Amp to the Left-Right RCA inputs on the sub via a Y-connector and have full frequency control from 0-120Hz via the frequency control knob on the sub.

Phase control should work using both methods.

Any thoughts on this? Somehow, I don't like using Y-connection cables, doesn't seem right to me.

As well, any thoughts on phase control on the sub - what the settings are supposed to achieve between 0 and 180 degrees?

Thanks again for your patience with these basic questions :o.

Ray

oakley#36
04-25-2004, 10:33 AM

The Klipsch RW-8 has 3 ways for connection - thru the LFE (bypasses sub crossover - Amp manages bass), through a Left-Right RCA input (sub handles bass frequencies) and directly from speaker outs on the Amp - of course, I have no intention of using this option.

I am now connected from the PREOUT on the Amp to the LFE on the sub. The sales guy - who seemed to know what he was talking about ??? - said that I could connect from the PREOUT on the Amp to the Left-Right RCA inputs on the sub via a Y-connector and have full frequency control from 0-120Hz via the frequency control knob on the sub.

Any thoughts on this? Somehow, I don't like using Y-connection cables, doesn't seem right to me.

As well, any thoughts on phase control on the sub - what the settings are supposed to achieve between 0 and 180 degrees?

Ray
It doesn't really matter if you use the one cable directly into L/R input on sub or Yconnection. The signal isn't in stereo and its nondirectional.

Geoffcin
04-25-2004, 10:41 AM

Ray

Use the sub-out on your receiver. You should still be able to control the low pass filter on your sub, and of course the level.