Least understood hit song of all times! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Least understood hit song of all times!

Worf101
03-07-2014, 07:28 AM
I grew up in Jamaica QUEENS, New York City, not the other Jamaica. By 1968 I'd been bussed across town to predominantly White and Jewish Parsons Junior HIgh. In late 1968 I began to hear this funny sounding tune on the AM Stations. It was completely unintelligble save for one word in the Chorus... "The Isrealites". Try as we might we couldn't make heads nor tails of it still the song was rocketing up the charts... And even more bizarre, little Jewish kids in my class who had previously only discussed the Beatles, Monkees etc... before (Motown was STILL a mystery to them) could be seen and heard boppin' to this strange tune.

Now I've an uncle by marriage (RIP Uncle Lance) who was straight from Yard, Kingston, Jamaica born and bred. One weekend we were visiting him and my Aunt Marie and I asked him what the hell was going on with that record "The Isrealites". He laughed and proceeded to explain to me the difference between Calypso (Belafante et al), Ska, and Reggae Music. As for the song, he told me that it had nothin' to do with the nation state of Isreal but was simply a tune wherein a Rasta is bemoaning the troubles of his life. As he said "dem a buy it but dem nah ketch it". With this in mind I nominate Desmond Dekker and the Aces "The Isrealites" as the most least understood hit song of all times.

Worf

recoveryone
03-07-2014, 07:33 AM
late 70's "My Sharona by the knack, like the beat, but never had a clue on the lyrics.

Hyfi
03-07-2014, 08:33 AM
My vote is for the song by Carly Simon "You're so Vain"

You're so vain, you probably think this song is about you

Well it was, right?

ForeverAutumn
03-07-2014, 09:54 AM
late 70's "My Sharona by the knack, like the beat, but never had a clue on the lyrics.

Along those same lines was Turning Japanese by The Vapors. In 1980, me and all my 14-yr-old girlfriends walked around singing this song. Pretty hilarious now that I know the meaning.

I don't know the song that Worf is referring to. I'll have to look it up on YT when I have a chance.

JohnMichael
03-07-2014, 09:57 AM
Imagine my disappointment when I learned Jimi was singing "Excuse me while I kiss the sky"

dean_martin
03-07-2014, 10:21 AM
I grew up in Jamaica QUEENS, New York City, not the other Jamaica. By 1968 I'd been bussed across town to predominantly White and Jewish Parsons Junior HIgh. In late 1968 I began to hear this funny sounding tune on the AM Stations. It was completely unintelligble save for one word in the Chorus... "The Isrealites". Try as we might we couldn't make heads nor tails of it still the song was rocketing up the charts... And even more bizarre, little Jewish kids in my class who had previously only discussed the Beatles, Monkees etc... before (Motown was STILL a mystery to them) could be seen and heard boppin' to this strange tune.

Now I've an uncle by marriage (RIP Uncle Lance) who was straight from Yard, Kingston, Jamaica born and bred. One weekend we were visiting him and my Aunt Marie and I asked him what the hell was going on with that record "The Isrealites". He laughed and proceeded to explain to me the difference between Calypso (Belafante et al), Ska, and Reggae Music. As for the song, he told me that it had nothin' to do with the nation state of Isreal but was simply a tune wherein a Rasta is bemoaning the troubles of his life. As he said "dem a buy it but dem nah ketch it". With this in mind I nominate Desmond Dekker and the Aces "The Isrealites" as the most least understood hit song of all times.

Worf

Cool!!! I know that song! I was born in '68, but in '98 I picked up a reggae compilation called "Jammin'" for beach trips, back-yard bbqs in the spring and summer, etc. Never paid close attention to the lyrics though because there is always lots of cold beer when I put this cd on. Amazon.com: Jammin: Music (http://www.amazon.com/Jammin-Various-Artists/dp/B000003QKZ/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top)

MasterCylinder
03-10-2014, 04:30 AM
Anything written by Jon Anderson..............example SOUND CHASER :

Faster moment spent spread tales of change within the sound,
Counting form through rhythm electric freedom
Moves to counterbalance stars expound our conscience
All to know and see the look in your eyes.

Passing time will reach as nature relays to set the scene,
New encounters spark a true fruition,
Guiding lines we touch them, our bodies balance out the waves
As we accelerate our days to the look in your eyes.

From the moment I reached out to hold, I felt a sound,
And what touches our soul slowly moves as touch rebounds.
And to know that tempo will continue
Lost in trance of dances as rhythm takes another turn,
As is my want, I only reach to look in your eyes.

MasterCylinder
03-11-2014, 04:20 AM
In late 1968 I began to hear this funny sounding tune on the AM Stations. It was completely unintelligble save for one word in the Chorus... "The Isrealites". Try as we might we couldn't make heads nor tails of it still the song was rocketing up the charts

WORF: I watched the movie DRUGSTORE COWBOY last night and to my surprise, THE ISREALITES plays at the closing credits..........unbelievable.
And I found the lyrics too :

Get up in the morning, slaving for bread, sir,
so that every mouth can be fed.
Poor me, the Israelite. Aah.

Get up in the morning, slaving for bread, sir,
So that every mouth can be fed.

My wife and my kids, they are packed up and leave me.
Darling, she said, I was yours to be seen.

Shirt them a-tear up, trousers are gone.
I don't want to end up like Bonnie and Clyde.

After a storm there must be a calm.
They catch me in the farm. You sound the alarm.

Poor me, the Israelite.
I wonder who I'm working for.
Poor me, Israelite,
I look a-down and out, sir.

RoyY51
03-23-2014, 08:35 AM
If anyone can tell me what "and cause never was the reason for the evening...or the tropic of Sir Galahad" means, I can die a happy man.