How to select Amps and Speaker Selector for a set of speakers [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : How to select Amps and Speaker Selector for a set of speakers

hisfallacy
03-04-2014, 10:24 PM
Hi experts,

I need to create a sound sytem for a dining area with multiple rooms/zones, with a total of 4 speakers.
How do I calculate/determine the required specs for my amplifier and speaker selector? Or vice versa?

Context:
I tried to read up online, and have some sense of what I need to do, but i'm not very well-versed in this and dont want to make a huge mistake, or spend a lot and get something that sounds very weak. Also, don't have a huge budget. So please guide me.

I have been given the following speakers: Kicker KB6000 Full-range: KB6000 Full Range | KICKER (http://www.kicker.com/kb6000)
Since its a restaurant, each speaker will be full range.
These are 2-way, 8 ohms, 75W RMS Power.

If I have 4 of these, the effecive impedance is 2 ohms? (based on what I read/understood)
Should i then get an amplifier for 2 ohms? Although, isnt that when i connect in parallel? So what about connecting with speaker selector, what impedance should the amplifier be, and what about the impedance for the speaker selector?

And what about the power - should i get an amplifier that is 75*4 = 300 Watts RMS power or slightly more?
And what power should the speaker selector support?

Basically my question is, what should be the relationship for the ohms and watts between the speaker, speaker selector, and amplifier? What other major considerations are there?
And if there are any specific products that work well with these speakers that would be great.

Thanks so much.
Vik

Mr Peabody
03-05-2014, 02:31 PM
Are you wanting to control the volume independently in each room? The impedance will not be an issue unless you were going to run more than one speaker off a terminal at a time, not recommended, nor could you adjust independent volume. Also, is this just background music or how loud will you need it?

I just saw a brand similar to sonos but much cheaper in a newsletter I'll try to post the info when I get home.