Golden Ear Triton 1 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Golden Ear Triton 1

harley .guy07
03-03-2014, 11:13 AM
I have been keeping my eyes open at speaker options as I am getting close to graduating after my trip back to school to change my career and thought that a new set of speakers would be a good graduation gift to myself. And the fact that my speakers have now become the weakest link in my system for the most part.

I noticed after reading the latest issue of AS that Golden ear is coming out with a new flagship speaker that is supposed to be able to take on the likes of $20,000+ speakers and they run around 5k a pair. I am very interested since they are a truly full range speaker that has all the technology and a very easy to live with footprint that my wife could handle and if they truly keep up with speakers way above their price I am interested. As much as I love audio I have to face the truth that I just don't think I could in my better judgement throw down the money for a pair of Dynaudio Evidence Platinum's or even close to that and the Golden ears with their new Triton 1 look like a possible viable option without my having to mortgage a pair of speakers and possibly being shot by my wife.

What do you guys think? any experience with them or their little brother speakers. I am just getting thoughts and ideas since it will be the end of 2015 before I graduate.

Hyfi
03-03-2014, 11:25 AM
Getting tired of those old Dyns, huh? The Golden Ears seem to get good reviews all over the place. I see the woofers are Class D powered so ll you need the amp for is the rest.

For $5K I might step up the Dynaodio ladder a few steps myself.

blackraven
03-03-2014, 11:33 AM
Sounds like a nice speaker. In that price range, also take a look at PSB Synchrony's if you can. They are high on my list for a box speaker.

PSB Synchrony One loudspeaker | Stereophile.com (http://www.stereophile.com/floorloudspeakers/408psb)

I think that they would be a good paring with the Pass and nurforce. My buddy has a pair of the Synchrony's with the Nuforce Model 9se amps and an ARC hybrid tube preamp. Awesome smooth and detailed sound that leans just a bit on the warmer side but not too warm. They have killer bass and a very liquid and lush midrange as most PSB's have IMHO. They are also easy on the eyes and have a smaller foot print.

I find them very easy to listen too and I have never found fault with them. They do like power and current though and the Pass will be up to the job. They sound great with any type of music.

Good Luck in your search and have fun!

JohnMichael
03-03-2014, 12:14 PM
To mention a phrase from AK about a post being worthless without pictures or at least a link. (not my words) Nothing wrong with some speaker lust.

Mr Peabody
03-03-2014, 08:29 PM
The first question should be, do I want an active speaker. Will the amps last as long as the drivers. I've heard a couple models of GE and they do sound good, however, it's a pretty wild claim a $5k speaker sounds like a Revel Salon or Dynaudio Confidence etc. To me these types of statements on a product do more harm than good. On the other hand nothing I heard to date made me want to sell what I have to get a pair.

We do have a GE dealer here if any one wants to hear some.

blackraven
03-03-2014, 08:45 PM
Why would you want to get a speaker with powered woofers when you have that Pass amp that has tremendous bass punch?

Here is another good review on the PSB's. It mirrors pretty much my feelings on the speaker. They just sound right and are easy to listen too.

harley .guy07
03-03-2014, 08:46 PM
Its really not that I am getting tired of my Dyns they are great and they are able to do things that I would not think possible with speakers in their price class, but I keep thinking to myself that there is much more that my system could give with a speaker upgrade. Maybe it is the fact that my amp alone retailed for almost 5 times what my speakers did. I know it really does not matter in that regard but it does make me think that they are starting to be the weak link overall even though I have shocked many high end people with my setup after I installed my custom sub and with the Pass amp. I think it is really that I am just ready for change. I am getting ready to start a new career path in the next year in a half and I think a speaker upgrade my be a good gift to myself

harley .guy07
03-03-2014, 08:50 PM
Mr P what did you think of the Golden Ears you heard. Are they in Dynaudio contention or are they just a option for people with receivers that don't want to plunk down the change for real amplifiers that can make speakers sing and so they choose speakers with powered low ends?

Jack in Wilmington
03-04-2014, 07:04 AM
I posted my experience with Golden Ear Triton's in the Martin Logan thread about five threads down from this one. If it can be moved to this thread, I would appreciate it.

Mr. P you're not kidding about the Golden Ear. My dealer sells them and he originally put them out next to the Def Tech's figuring they would appeal to the same type of customer. He quickly realized that was a mistake. He then moved them into the room with the Sonus Faber Venere 2.5's, Totem Hawk's and the Vienna Acoustic Mozart's and they've been out selling those three combined. The Triton's sell themselves is the way he put it.

JohnMichael
03-04-2014, 08:43 AM
Jack I am working on a way to transfer your whole post. For now I just copied and pasted.

Jack in Wilmington
03-04-2014, 09:44 AM
[QUOTE=JohnMichael;400004]Jack I am working on a way to transfer your whole post. For now I just copied and pasted.[/QUOTe

That's fine JM. If there was a way, I knew you'd take care of it. Thanks

Mr Peabody
03-04-2014, 06:55 PM
It's hard for me to gauge the GE, they were driven by Bel Canto which I've never had in my own system, nor the GE. I'm a bit biased toward Dynaudio but if I had to pick I'd personally prefer a quality Dyn pushed by quality A or A/B. The only thing I like better is a 2nd series Revel Performance or Ultima. I'd really love for you to hear my system so if you like the F52's like I do you can snag a set at a great price. No, not mine. I honestly would not give up my F52's for anything I've heard so far unless it was a Studio 2 or Salon. Maybe not even Salon considering my room size. I'd even have to hear the Studio 2 in my room to make sure it went as deep as the F52. The F52 is flat and neutral top to bottom but I haven't heard any speaker deliver bottom end detail like they do, I mean if your amp is up to it, pipe organ lows clean and precise.

ejlif
04-08-2014, 08:07 AM
Mr P what did you think of the Golden Ears you heard. Are they in Dynaudio contention or are they just a option for people with receivers that don't want to plunk down the change for real amplifiers that can make speakers sing and so they choose speakers with powered low ends?

I own the Dynaudio C4, T 2.5s and xeos. I've owned a lot speakers over the years I really like Dynaudio for it's non fatiguing musical presentation. I am putting together a recording studio monitoring system and was looking for something even more transparent than the C4s. I love these speakers but they aren't to me an audio microscope which is what I want. I was thinking of something like the Revel Salon 2. I stumbled across the Goldenear speakers and my local dealer offered to let me try them out. I've only had them for a week so it might be a little early to make conclusions but I can say that no doubt they are really good sounding speakers. The tweeter is darn near perfect and I can't think of anything to complain about. The mids maybe be just slightly light (I'm using a Krell s-300i right now) the bass is solid and the fact that I can control the bass without having to move the speakers all over the room to get it right is what made me decide to try the speakers in the first place. I'm a little scared to get something like the Salon 2 and find out I can't control the bass in my medium size (15x19x9) room.

I'm a little torn on what to do am I crazy to get these instead of a set of Salon 2s or Wilsons? They do seem ideal for my setup and I personally like the way they disappear from sight they are not the loveliest looking speakers I can hardly even see them in my studio.

The other thought is to pre order a set of the triton 1s and figure that a company like Goldenear who is all about bang for the buck is not going to release a speaker that is for them very expensive by their standards if it's not worth it. Sounds to me like the issues I have with the midrange on the Triton 2 is something they have addressed in the triton 1 from talking to Sandy Gross on the phone for a little while.

Mr Peabody
04-08-2014, 08:16 PM
A couple things came to mind while reading this, one, the Salon has a 3 position adjustment for bass to help when positioning close to boundaries, I'm sure being a Dynaudio fan you know they have a Pro side as well. Obviously, the Golden Ear would be the least expensive option of the 3.

ejlif
04-09-2014, 07:45 AM
A couple things came to mind while reading this, one, the Salon has a 3 position adjustment for bass to help when positioning close to boundaries, I'm sure being a Dynaudio fan you know they have a Pro side as well. Obviously, the Golden Ear would be the least expensive option of the 3.

I wasn't aware that there is a Salon 3 model. Are you sure about that? They don't show anything on Revel website. It seems like it must be getting close the Salon 2 has been in for a long time.

It's really quite confusing on what is the best course of action to take. I need something very revealing that tells me all the good and bad going on in a recording. I think of dynaudio os a more musical and enjoyable speakers. I don't need to analyze music to listen to it for enjoyment but in the studio I do.

I feel like the Triton 2s make bad recordings obvious there seems to be a much bigger swing in the quality of recordings listened through the Triton 2 compared to the C4. I'm not using the greatest amp with them so I'm gonna swap in the amp I use with the C4s and see how that sounds on the Triton 2, my guess is it will make a big difference and I will need to upgrade the amp as well.

Mr Peabody
04-09-2014, 03:46 PM
No, not Salon 3, the bass adjustment has three positions to contour bass for different room positions. In my opinion based on the Performance 3 I wouldn't be excited for a Salon 3. Series 2 are just incredible if accurate and uncolored is your goal, both Ultima & Performance. They had perfection, I guess they were under pressure to produce something new.

ejlif
04-09-2014, 07:11 PM
sure wish I could demo the Salon 2s in my room. I'm leaning towards keeping the Goldenear speakers but if the Salons were better I'd be happy to pay for it.