looking for new amplifier/receiver? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : looking for new amplifier/receiver?

bandyband
03-01-2014, 04:31 PM
SO...I am relatively new to the audio speaker ways and a few months ago I purchased two JBL towers on sale brand new from JBL. I bought a 80 dollar sherwood stereo receiver to start off. A problem I have is that if I push the volume to around 42/60 on the stereo the stereo shuts off. The volume is quite loud, but do I simply not have enough power from this lower end stereo? I have rewired the speakers with new stereo wire and there are no wires touching.

Any recommendations on a next level up amplifier? I don't really need a stereo either.

Thanks!!!

JohnMichael
03-01-2014, 05:48 PM
Which JBL's did you buy? I would say without knowing model number and specs you are reaching thermal overload and the receiver is shutting down and protecting itself. I do not think an inexpensive receiver will drive tower multiway speakers, at high volume in medium size rooms.

Once we know the model of speakers, room size and budget we can make suggestions for you. Do you listen to a lot of radio and is a receiver even needed? The more you tell us the more we can help.

blackraven
03-01-2014, 06:19 PM
Also, what is your budget? There are some nice inexpensive high current receivers like the Harmon Kardon 3490 and 3390 that should have no problem driving the JBL's. These models are being phased out so they may be hard to find. The cheap sherwood has a POS power supply.

If you can find an Onkyo Tx-8555 reciever, it also is a high current design for a budget receiver.

Give the mrantz SR 4023 receiver a look.

I looked at the floor stander speakers on the JBL web site and the towers all have a speaker sensitivity or 91db. They should play at ear bleeding levels with just a few watts of power.

JohnMichael
03-01-2014, 07:18 PM
Some of the JBL towers are rated at 88db and would require more power. Large woofers also take some current to drive. There is more than watts to determine if an amp is right for your speakers. The impedance of a speaker if low can give the amp problems if it is not designed for any load other than 8 ohms.

blackraven
03-01-2014, 09:30 PM
Some of the JBL towers are rated at 88db and would require more power. Large woofers also take some current to drive. There is more than watts to determine if an amp is right for your speakers. The impedance of a speaker if low can give the amp problems if it is not designed for any load other than 8 ohms.

Ok, most of the Tower speakers on the JBL site are 91-92dB.

Still, I believe the sherwood receivers claim to be 100wpc. Which should be enough to drive an 88db rated speaker to loud levels without shutting down. But all watts are not created equal.

JohnMichael
03-02-2014, 03:59 AM
Ok, most of the Tower speakers on the JBL site are 91-92dB.

Still, I believe the sherwood receivers claim to be 100wpc. Which should be enough to drive an 88db rated speaker to loud levels without shutting down. But all watts are not created equal.

Of course as the OP states each time he pushes the volume it shuts off. Sounds like he is stressing the amp. A receiver may output 100 watts into an 8 ohm resistor it may not drive the load the loudspeaker represents.

bandyband
03-02-2014, 12:05 PM
I forgot to mention the model. Sorry! The towers that I have are JBL ES80s. Two of them. For the room, I am stuck in a dorm at the moment, but am moving into a bigger apartment next year and will be DJ ing some parties where I may need to use them for somewhat larger apartment parties. For budget, I would not like to spend more than 300 dollars or so now if possible. Just the issue of a college budget.

<dt class="no-divider" style="border-top-style: none; margin: 0px 0px 1.66em; font-family: HelveticaNeueW01-65Medi, 'Helvetica Neue TT', HelveticaNeueTT, HeleticaNeue-TT, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 1.2em; padding-top: 1.66em; color: rgb(0, 0, 0);">Audio Specifications</dt><dd style="margin: 0px 0px 1.66em; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: FreeSans, Arimo, 'Droid Sans', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 12px;"><dl class="horizontal dividers" style="margin: 1em 0px;"><dt style="border: none; margin: 0px; font-family: HelveticaNeueW01-65Medi, 'Helvetica Neue TT', HelveticaNeueTT, HeleticaNeue-TT, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 1em; padding: 0.5em 0px; line-height: 1.4; float: left; width: 220px; overflow: hidden; clear: left; text-overflow: ellipsis;">Crossover Frequencies</dt><dd style="margin: 0px; padding: 0.5em 0px; line-height: 1.4; border-top-style: none;">700Hz, 3.6kHz – 24dB/octave; 12kHz – 18dB/octave</dd><dt style="border: none; margin: 0px; font-family: HelveticaNeueW01-65Medi, 'Helvetica Neue TT', HelveticaNeueTT, HeleticaNeue-TT, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 1em; padding: 0.5em 0px; line-height: 1.4; float: left; width: 220px; overflow: hidden; clear: left; text-overflow: ellipsis;">Maximum Recommended Amplifier Power</dt><dd style="margin: 0px; padding: 0.5em 0px; line-height: 1.4; border-top-width: 1px; border-top-style: solid; border-top-color: rgb(102, 102, 102);">200W</dd><dt style="border: none; margin: 0px; font-family: HelveticaNeueW01-65Medi, 'Helvetica Neue TT', HelveticaNeueTT, HeleticaNeue-TT, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 1em; padding: 0.5em 0px; line-height: 1.4; float: left; width: 220px; overflow: hidden; clear: left; text-overflow: ellipsis;">Power Handling (Recommended)</dt><dd style="margin: 0px; padding: 0.5em 0px; line-height: 1.4; border-top-width: 1px; border-top-style: solid; border-top-color: rgb(102, 102, 102);">100W</dd><dt style="border: none; margin: 0px; font-family: HelveticaNeueW01-65Medi, 'Helvetica Neue TT', HelveticaNeueTT, HeleticaNeue-TT, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 1em; padding: 0.5em 0px; line-height: 1.4; float: left; width: 220px; overflow: hidden; clear: left; text-overflow: ellipsis;">Sensitivity</dt><dd style="margin: 0px; padding: 0.5em 0px; line-height: 1.4; border-top-width: 1px; border-top-style: solid; border-top-color: rgb(102, 102, 102);">(2.83V@1m) 91dB</dd><dt style="border: none; margin: 0px; font-family: HelveticaNeueW01-65Medi, 'Helvetica Neue TT', HelveticaNeueTT, HeleticaNeue-TT, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 1em; padding: 0.5em 0px; line-height: 1.4; float: left; width: 220px; overflow: hidden; clear: left; text-overflow: ellipsis;">Power Handling (Peak)</dt><dd style="margin: 0px; padding: 0.5em 0px; line-height: 1.4; border-top-width: 1px; border-top-style: solid; border-top-color: rgb(102, 102, 102);">400W</dd><dt style="border: none; margin: 0px; font-family: HelveticaNeueW01-65Medi, 'Helvetica Neue TT', HelveticaNeueTT, HeleticaNeue-TT, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 1em; padding: 0.5em 0px; line-height: 1.4; float: left; width: 220px; overflow: hidden; clear: left; text-overflow: ellipsis;">Nominal Impedance</dt><dd style="margin: 0px; padding: 0.5em 0px; line-height: 1.4; border-top-width: 1px; border-top-style: solid; border-top-color: rgb(102, 102, 102);">8 ohms</dd><dt style="border: none; margin: 0px; font-family: HelveticaNeueW01-65Medi, 'Helvetica Neue TT', HelveticaNeueTT, HeleticaNeue-TT, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 1em; padding: 0.5em 0px; line-height: 1.4; float: left; width: 220px; overflow: hidden; clear: left; text-overflow: ellipsis;">Frequency Response</dt><dd style="margin: 0px; padding: 0.5em 0px; line-height: 1.4; border-top-width: 1px; border-top-style: solid; border-top-color: rgb(102, 102, 102);">45Hz – 40kHz</dd></dl></dd><dt class="no-divider" style="border-top-style: none; margin: 0px 0px 1.66em; font-family: HelveticaNeueW01-65Medi, 'Helvetica Neue TT', HelveticaNeueTT, HeleticaNeue-TT, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 1.2em; padding-top: 1.66em; color: rgb(0, 0, 0);">Speaker Specifications</dt><dd style="margin: 0px 0px 1.66em; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: FreeSans, Arimo, 'Droid Sans', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 12px;"><dl class="horizontal dividers" style="margin: 1em 0px;"><dt style="border: none; margin: 0px; font-family: HelveticaNeueW01-65Medi, 'Helvetica Neue TT', HelveticaNeueTT, HeleticaNeue-TT, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 1em; padding: 0.5em 0px; line-height: 1.4; float: left; width: 220px; overflow: hidden; clear: left; text-overflow: ellipsis;">High-Frequncy Transducer</dt><dd style="margin: 0px; padding: 0.5em 0px; line-height: 1.4; border-top-style: none;">3/4" (19mm) Titanium-laminate dome, shielded; EOS waveguide</dd><dt style="border: none; margin: 0px; font-family: HelveticaNeueW01-65Medi, 'Helvetica Neue TT', HelveticaNeueTT, HeleticaNeue-TT, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 1em; padding: 0.5em 0px; line-height: 1.4; float: left; width: 220px; overflow: hidden; clear: left; text-overflow: ellipsis;">Low-Frequency Transducer</dt><dd style="margin: 0px; padding: 0.5em 0px; line-height: 1.4; border-top-width: 1px; border-top-style: solid; border-top-color: rgb(102, 102, 102);">Dual 6" (170mm) PolyPlas™, shielded</dd><dt style="border: none; margin: 0px; font-family: HelveticaNeueW01-65Medi, 'Helvetica Neue TT', HelveticaNeueTT, HeleticaNeue-TT, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 1em; padding: 0.5em 0px; line-height: 1.4; float: left; width: 220px; overflow: hidden; clear: left; text-overflow: ellipsis;">Ultra High Frequency Transducer</dt><dd style="margin: 0px; padding: 0.5em 0px; line-height: 1.4; border-top-width: 1px; border-top-style: solid; border-top-color: rgb(102, 102, 102);">3/4" (19mm) Polyester-film ring-radiator, shielded; EOS waveguide</dd><dt style="border: none; margin: 0px; font-family: HelveticaNeueW01-65Medi, 'Helvetica Neue TT', HelveticaNeueTT, HeleticaNeue-TT, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 1em; padding: 0.5em 0px; line-height: 1.4; float: left; width: 220px; overflow: hidden; clear: left; text-overflow: ellipsis;">Midrange Transducer</dt><dd style="margin: 0px; padding: 0.5em 0px; line-height: 1.4; border-top-width: 1px; border-top-style: solid; border-top-color: rgb(102, 102, 102);">4" (100mm) PolyPlas, shielded</dd></dl></dd>
my stereo amplifier:

100 Watts per Channel x 2 in Stereo Mode with less than 0.08% THD, 20 Hz-20 kHz, 8 Ohms
Switching for two pairs of loudspeakers
5 Audio Inputs including Tuner
Quartz PLL Synthesized Digital Tuning
30 Station Presets (Random)

JohnMichael
03-02-2014, 12:51 PM
For your budget I would forget a receiver and look for an integrated amp. If you have a mixing board when you DJ and it can be used as a preamp then a power amp is all you need. When you are looking for whatever suits you best make sure the amp not only gives an 8 ohm but also a 4 ohm rating. For example a good amp can deliver 100 watts into 8 ohms but should be rated to deliver more into 4 ohms. Ideally an amp that produced 100 watts into 8 ohms should produce 200 watts into 4 ohms.

Some speakers are also easier to drive based on design. Multiple drivers with multiple crossover points may create a tougher load for the amp. Sound reinforcement speakers are a little more simply designed. You may have seen an enclosure with a 12 inch woofer and horn midrange/tweeter. Those would probably work with your current receiver for your DJ needs. Of course the JBL's would probably sound better in your dorm room.

harley .guy07
03-02-2014, 12:53 PM
well within your budget i would suggest looking at Ebay or audiogon for a used integrated amplifer or receiver. This Sherwood you are using most likely has a very small power supply and when you are turning up the volume you are running into the current limits of the receiver and to keep major clipping distortion and amplifier damage from happening the receiver is simply shutting down. The is something that can happen with almost all receivers but from the cheaper ones they have very low current output capability from rms power to full power.

I would suggest looking for a integrated amp from Onkyo or Yamaha among others. Integrated amplifiers have better power supplies and internal amplifier parts than most receivers and are geared more for 2 channel music than home theater. You should be able to find something used in your price range that will power your speakers just fine.

blackraven
03-02-2014, 01:50 PM
I agree with the above. For your budget I would still look for a harmon kardon 3490 receiver. It is 120wpc and high current with 45 peak amps which is a lot of current. The 3390 is 80 wpc and 42 peak amps. Both will play very loud. In your budget, many of the integrated amps will be low power and lower current. They will sound better though and will have no problems driving your speakers though. But if you are planning to use the speakers for party's then I would rather have the HK's. They will be less likely to clip and damage your speakers and the amp!

blackraven
03-02-2014, 02:53 PM
Here are some Factory refurbished HK's-

https://www.harmanaudio.com/search_browse/reconditioned.asp?brand=HK

Both the 3390 and 3490 are good deals. I don't think that you will be able to find and new 3490 as they are being discontinued for newer models.

bandyband
03-02-2014, 04:10 PM
so most agree that the HK3390 would be a good safe bet to go on? They also have a sub option as well which would be nice down the road

blackraven
03-02-2014, 04:36 PM
Its a safe bet. 80wpc of high current will make your ears bleed with those JBL's. Make sure that you are using some good speaker wire, at least 16g. I prefer 10-14g. You can buy high quality wire at low cost at Blue Jeans Cable -- Quality Cables at Reasonable Prices (http://www.bluejeanscable.com) Get the untermirtnated wire and use it bare ended to save some money or buy their banana plugs and terminate them yourself.

JohnMichael
03-02-2014, 06:25 PM
I am most concerned about your DJing in the future. I would avoid a receiver and look for an int. amp. I know you mentioned DJing in apartments and you need the volume and bass to get folks moving. Bodies absorb a lot of sound so more power will be needed.

Mr Peabody
03-02-2014, 08:40 PM
What source are you using for music, CD, computer etc.?

Didn't Outlaw Audio make a stereo receiver that had quite a bit of power, one of those used might work. If used is an option the Adcom separates are hard to beat, you might be able to get a gfa-545 or 5400 with a preamp in your budget, both are strong amps. Parasound amps are decent and have gain controls on back that can be used as a volume control until you decide preamp or mixer. You might want to shop some of the musician websites to price DJ/Pro amps, may not be as audiophile for home use but a way to get big power on the cheap.

blackraven
03-02-2014, 08:56 PM
I agree with JM that integrated amps tend to be more robust but at a $300 budget, even going used you won't find much that will be better than the HK. Even on audigon there is nothing in that price range that is going to be as powerful. If you can increase your budget to $500-600 there is a Cambridge Audio 840A that is a great deal and a great integrated. And very few low powered budget integrated can double their power when going from 8 to 4 ohms. The 840A can but it sold for $1600 new.

Eventually if you are going to DJ you should buy a high powered amp and maybe a crown amp. But it will cost some money. Using a receiver or even an integrated for DJ'ing will tax either one if continuously played at very loud volumes for long periods.

bandyband
03-03-2014, 12:22 PM
thank you all for the ideas. it sounds like an integraded amp is the route i should take. the parties won't be too massive where the speakers will be turned to the top of their volume range, but are there any models people would recommend to check out in the 200-400 range?

blackraven
03-03-2014, 02:05 PM
There is nothing with any power to speak of in that price range. You may be able to find a used NAD at about 50wpc used on AudiogoN - The High-end Audio Community (http://www.audiogon.com). On your budget I would stick with the HK 3390. It has a beefy power supply with 42 peak amps of current, more than most of the cheaper integrated. I am not a big fan of cheap integrated amps if you are looking for some power. Many people use the HK receivers to drive Magnepan speakers which need high current and power. They are typically rated at 85db sensitivity. The HK's have a nice slightly warmer sound and they would pair well with the JBL's. The HK's also have a preamp out put so that in the future if you wanted to add a separate power amp you can. The preamp out allows you to use the Preamp section of the receiver and by pass the amp section so that you can hook it up to a dedicated power amp. You won't find that feature on many cheap integrated amps. Also, take a look at the weight of the cheap integrated's, they are around 12Lb's, the HK is 20, meaning beefier power supply!

The 3390 makes a lot of sense on your budget.

Good Luck on what ever you decide.

bandyband
03-04-2014, 01:38 AM
thank you! I think this is what I shall shoot for. It is tough to be limited by money, but thats college. For the future any recommendations on an additional power amp I can attach to the HK to boost it up?

Thanks again!

JoeE SP9
03-04-2014, 01:37 PM
As long as you have preamp level signals to drive a power amp the sky is the limit. The only real restriction is your budget. When you're ready to go to a separate power amp post what your desired power level is and your budget. I'm sure you'll get plenty of suggestions.

BTW: Most of us are limited by budget considerations.