Speaker placement/tweaks [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Speaker placement/tweaks

tony340
02-26-2014, 10:45 PM
Hi guys
It's been years since I last posted. Married life and kid have not really given me the time to spend on my beloved hifi!!
But finally getting back to it.
So here goes, pls try to help me out.
I've a set of Mission 731 bookshelf speakers that I really love, with my lovely Nad 3020i along with a Denon CD player. I live in a small studio and I've a sort of sideboard which is the only place that allows me to house my system. I'm able to keep the speakers about 6 feet apart and about 1.5 feet in front of the wall. But I have to place them on the wooded shelf. Any thoughts on how best I can place them?? Some recommend to keep them on top of a tile of granite, any benefits? Or would isolation rubber feet do the trick? Any other tweaks or recommendations that can help me get the optimum sound with this system considering my studio? Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks guys

blackraven
02-27-2014, 01:29 PM
Placing them on some granite might help, but I would also get some sorbothane pads or sheets to place under the speakers to help with vibration.

4 Sorbo Vibration Isolation Disc Circle Feet Pad 1x1 4in 25x6mm PC Case Amp 1" | eBay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/251262297102?lpid=82)

Isolate It Sorbothane Vibration Isolation Square Pad 30 Duro 50" Thick 4" X | eBay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/350851814741?lpid=82)

tony340
02-27-2014, 09:32 PM
Thank you blackraven for that reply. Would the isolation feet that come for mission/ kef bookshelves do the trick? Or do I need to get this specific material that u have indicated?

tony340
02-28-2014, 07:09 PM
Also a friend of mine told me to get some 1/2" thick granite place them on 1/4" thick cork and then put the speakers on top of the granite. Any one had any experience on this? My sideboard that I'm placing the speakers on is solid wood but not the sturdiest piece around.

blackraven
02-28-2014, 08:27 PM
Thank you blackraven for that reply. Would the isolation feet that come for mission/ kef bookshelves do the trick? Or do I need to get this specific material that u have indicated?

I don't know what material the isolation feet are made of. Sorbothane is used in many audio applications for vibration dampening. The Granite will help as well.

tony340
03-01-2014, 05:19 PM
The isolation feet that I'm getting are rubber ones, are these ok or should I just dump it and just get the Sorbothane? I live in Vietnam now and the availability of these things are very poor