Ping Jack [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Ping Jack

Mr Peabody
02-23-2014, 10:05 PM
Jack, if your PM is set up I didn't see it. I wanted to let you know a guy I know is selling a Coda preamp on Audiogon for $2500.00 he lives in St. Peters, MO. And, in case you missed it another guy in my area just bought a $10k Levinson preamp and is looking to sell a PrimaLuna preamp that retailed around $3200.00. I'm not sure exactly price but I believe also around $2500 with very low hours. The guy selling the Coda just bought a TRL (Tube Research Labs) preamp, The Dude. I haven't had a chance to look that up but will get a chance to hear it soon.

Jack in Wilmington
02-24-2014, 05:37 AM
Jack, if your PM is set up I didn't see it. I wanted to let you know a guy I know is selling a Coda preamp on Audiogon for $2500.00 he lives in St. Peters, MO. And, in case you missed it another guy in my area just bought a $10k Levinson preamp and is looking to sell a PrimaLuna preamp that retailed around $3200.00. I'm not sure exactly price but I believe also around $2500 with very low hours. The guy selling the Coda just bought a TRL (Tube Research Labs) preamp, The Dude. I haven't had a chance to look that up but will get a chance to hear it soon.

I had a notification, is that different than a PM. Here is my email, then I'll be sure to get it.

Jack1392Daly@verizon.net

Thanks for the heads up.

blackraven
02-24-2014, 03:52 PM
Jack, there are 3 BAT's for sale on audiogon along with a nice Modwright tube preamp. I have heard some of their gear, real quality gear.

ModWright LLC LS 36.5 Pristine | Tube | Roswell, Georgia 30075 | AudiogoN - The High-end Audio Community (http://app.audiogon.com/listings/tube-modwright-llc-ls-36-5-pristine-2014-02-12-preamplifiers-30075)

6moons audio reviews: ModWright LS 36.5 (http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/modwright2/365_2.html)

Jack in Wilmington
02-24-2014, 06:21 PM
Jack, there are 3 BAT's for sale on audiogon along with a nice Modwright tube preamp. I have heard some of their gear, real quality gear.

ModWright LLC LS 36.5 Pristine | Tube | Roswell, Georgia 30075 | AudiogoN - The High-end Audio Community (http://app.audiogon.com/listings/tube-modwright-llc-ls-36-5-pristine-2014-02-12-preamplifiers-30075)

6moons audio reviews: ModWright LS 36.5 (http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/modwright2/365_2.html)

That ModWright looks real nice. I'm waiting to hear your impressions of the BAT before I lean one way or the other. Thanks for the heads up.

bfalls
02-25-2014, 07:22 AM
The word "ping" caught my attention. Coming from a networking background it's a familiar term. I'm just not used to seeing it outside a networking context. Any ideas how common the term is? Just curious. Opinions?

Hyfi
02-25-2014, 08:34 AM
We use it where I work to ask developers or Product Management for an update. We will enter a Case Comment into Sales Force something like "Pinged PM for update"

Now back to your regularly scheduled program......

blackraven
02-25-2014, 10:33 AM
That ModWright looks real nice. I'm waiting to hear your impressions of the BAT before I lean one way or the other. Thanks for the heads up.

I will have the BAT tonight. I have to install the new tubes. It will take about 30 hours of break in for the tubes to sound good, but I will post my initial impressions late tonight. I am trying to not getting too amped up so my expectations are not too high. Stepping up to higher end gear from what I currently have will bring small but significant improvement in sound. I don't expect it to be too dramatic but you never know. I expect the midrange to be fuller, a bit warmer, more musical and the over all sound to be a little darker and smoother with a bit more resolution and detail. I can't imagine the back ground getting any blacker than it is with my X1. With this being an older model (came out in 2003), I worry that I could have been better off with a newer preamp such as the ModWright or the CJ ET-3se. I would have preferred to find a BAT VK-32se which is currently in production but the used prices are over $4K, out of my budget.

In any event, this will be my last preamp purchase for years to come. If I don't like it I will sell it and keep the X1. My next upgrade has to be my DAC and then my speakers to the 1.7's.

Feanor
02-25-2014, 11:35 AM
We look forward to your impressions. Your modest expectations are in line -- although I'm not sure why think the BAT might have more resolution & detail than the Pass X1.

frenchmon
02-25-2014, 11:53 AM
Peabody...."The DUDE amp is suppose to be the stuff! They come in odd colors as well like Royal Blue....at least they use to years ago.

Mr Peabody
02-25-2014, 04:39 PM
LOL, I shouldn't tell on myself but I've seen "ping" on the forum before and instead of asking I just assumed it was short for paging.

I don't know much about Modwright but you'd think some one could have come up with a better name.

Frenchie, we're going to have to get over to hear the Dude. He's also selling his current level of Dac to upgrade to the higher level.

bfalls
02-26-2014, 07:03 AM
Ping "is a computer network tool used to test whether a particular host is reachable across an IP network". Many times the first troubleshooting check is to verify you can reach your default router. Default Ping will send a 32 byte packet of data to the address to see if it will respond. The response will provide a listing of the respondent's IP, the time the response took and the overall percentage of packets received to determine any data loss.

Try it on your computer. Go to the command prompt and type "ping www.google.com". This will tell you if you can reach google.com, resolve it's IP address and tell how long the round-trip took.

I was just curious if ping was common knowledge. Sorry to hijack the thread.