Martin Logan Electrostatic Spkrs [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Martin Logan Electrostatic Spkrs

Spkey
02-15-2014, 08:07 PM
This is my first post. Are Theos speakers worth it? Or is there a better and cheaper speaker? Klipsch? Thanks

Spkey
02-15-2014, 08:09 PM
We are looking to add a center speaker too and the Martin Logan's are very expensive and we are new to having a nice surround sound? 5k for floor speakers plus another 2k for a center speaker is a lot of money. I need expert and honest advice. We were at a home audio store today and the quoted us a very high price for everything. Any help would be appreciated.

JohnMichael
02-15-2014, 08:16 PM
Welcome to AR! We need more information to help you. Most importantly is what is your budget? What do you already have to power the speakers and your sources? The size of your listening space would be helpful. The more you can tell us what you would like in your ideal system the more we can advise.

Spkey
02-15-2014, 09:28 PM
It's for a tv room so it's about 15ft long and 15ft wide. The audio company will use a Elite Pioneer receiver with a amp source (don't know the size yet). They will hook it up to a URC system. I hate to be cheap but our system we have now was about $2k and it sounds great but we would like to upgrade it to something nicer. We just moved into a new house so this is why we need new components. So $3-4k for speakers would be nice unless you think the Martin Logan Theos floor speakers and center speakers are worth the $7k.

blackraven
02-16-2014, 08:31 AM
I don't think that there a many ML owners here. You should consider checking with the ML forum. I found them helpful when I bought my ML sub.

I would check with www.audioadvisor for the Theos speakers. Also consider buying the Theos for the front channels and then using the Martin Logan Motion speakers for the rear. It will save you a lot of money and sound great. The Motion bookshelf speakers have the same airy sound as the Theos and company.

MartinLogan - Motion 15 - Bookshelf Speaker-Audio Advisor (http://www.audioadvisor.com/MartinLogan-Motion-15-Bookshelf-Speaker/productinfo/MLMO15/#.UwDpY2JdXnk)

MartinLogan - Motion 4 - Bookshelf Speaker-Audio Advisor (http://www.audioadvisor.com/MartinLogan-Motion-4-Bookshelf-Speaker/productinfo/MLMO4/)

If you have a Best Buy Magnolia store near you, you can hear these speakers. I almost bought a pair of the Motion 4's for main speakers for my TV. They are crystal clear and very detailed.

Mr Peabody
02-16-2014, 09:21 PM
You should do some close listening to see how you like the ML's, you will be the one to live with them. I personally like them very well, the panels provide a life like presence and the detail is excellent. They will require good amplification. You mentioned Klipsch, an entirely different animal than ML. The Klipsch in my opinion will not provide the same detail, on the other hand Klipsch would be easier to drive, being horn loaded give more of a theater type sound, and provide more of a physical feel to things. Both brands have a smaller radiating pattern due to each technology used. You have a decent budget try to listen to as many brands as possible, Dynaudio, Revel, B&W etc. I have had a few different home theater set ups and I can tell you it's worth the money to have all speakers the same series in order to be timbre matched, I have had it both ways and if you want optimum HT performance, make them timbre match.

TheHills44060
02-17-2014, 09:22 AM
I just listened to the Ethos, Theos and Electromotions on Friday. The Theos are wonderful, wow. They were hooked up to McIntosh electronics and boy I was impressed. The Theos were very nice as well. If you are thinking Martin Logan definitely go electrostatic as the Motion series are just run off the mill and disgustingly overpriced. .

blackraven
02-18-2014, 10:40 AM
I have to disagree with the Motion speakers. Yes, they are overpriced but most speakers are. The bookshelf motion speakers sound great. Very clear, airy and detailed. They have the same overall sound as the Theos. For rear channels they would be an excellent choice and they will integrate well and you can wall mount them. You should also consider the ML in wall speakers for rear channel's. For a center channel I would stick with the Theos line.

Mr Peabody
02-18-2014, 07:22 PM
Although I liked the sound of the Motion they do not resemble the sound of the electrostat panels. Needless to say there would be no timbre matching. However, if some one had to stay within a budget.........

TheHills44060
02-19-2014, 06:02 AM
I have to disagree with the Motion speakers...
While I don't think they sound particularly bad they just don't really do anything for me. I can think of a bajillion other options just as good or better for less money.

Although I liked the sound of the Motion they do not resemble the sound of the electrostat panels...
Exactly. When I think of Martin Logan I think of electrostats...big electrostats and their unmistakable sound. I still can't believe ML actually manufactures speakers of any other type.

JoeE SP9
02-19-2014, 07:32 AM
It seems that the Heil patent has lapsed. There are any number of pleated diaphragm drivers currently being made. The Motion series is a good example of that.

Mr Peabody
02-19-2014, 08:30 AM
Golden Ear is another example and could be a real option for speakers, they seem to be taking the industry by storm, at least acording to reviews. I've heard them and they are very good. Can't compare to ML from memory but the GE are certainly a less expensive option.

Jack in Wilmington
02-19-2014, 10:09 AM
Golden Ear is another example and could be a real option for speakers, they seem to be taking the industry by storm, at least acording to reviews. I've heard them and they are very good. Can't compare to ML from memory but the GE are certainly a less expensive option.

Mr. P you're not kidding about the Golden Ear. My dealer sells them and he originally put them out next to the Def Tech's figuring they would appeal to the same type of customer. He quickly realized that was a mistake. He then moved them into the room with the Sonus Faber Venere 2.5's, Totem Hawk's and the Vienna Acoustic Mozart's and they've been out selling those three combined. The Triton's sell themselves is the way he put it.