Simple Inexpensive Home Theatre [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Simple Inexpensive Home Theatre

Hal
02-15-2014, 06:32 AM
Hello. I've not posted here in a long time.

How could I set up a simple and inexpensive home theatre?

Should I go the soundbar route? I've read mixed things about them.

Currently I have a Yamaha RX-V480 receiver. It's about 30 years old I think. So I'd have to get a new A/V receiver. This Yamaha receiver has been good to me so I might stick with that brand.

I've got two Boston Acoustics freestanding speakers that are about 15-20 years old but they could serve as the main speakers.

As I see it I'd need -

1. New A/V receiver;
2. Subwoofer;
3. Two rear speakers.

Would they give me a basic, inexpensive setup?

I've got a Panasonic BluRay player for the discs.

I don't want to sacrifice music playing quality.

Thoughts? Advice?

Thank you.

StevenSurprenant
02-18-2014, 07:30 AM
You can do what you want with the receiver you have. You will need a sub, two back speakers and a center channel. It's important that the center speaker be voiced the same as your main speakers. Being that your receiver can do a phantom channel, the biggest improvement you can make, for low cost, is adding a "decent" subwoofer.

BTW, if money is a problem, spending what you have on a good sub is money not wasted because the sub can be migrated from system to system.

If you want to upgrade, a new receiver can give you all the new bells and whistles, but that goes without saying.

As for sound bars, I can't say except that some people like them. You need to listen to some of them and decide if that's the route you want to take.

Sorry that I couldn't be of more help.

Hyfi
02-18-2014, 08:20 AM
I have a very nice rarely used Infinity Beta c250 Center speaker we could make a deal on. Original packaging and paperwork, no damage or blemishes, Cherry with Silver face.

Infinity Beta C250 Center Speaker Reduced (http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/ele/4287843625.html)

Hal
02-19-2014, 05:03 AM
Thanks for the advice. Are any of the surround speakers wireless or do you have to run wires everywhere?

Hyfi
02-19-2014, 05:43 AM
You can find wireless speakers or units to convert but will surely sacrifice something.

StevenSurprenant
02-19-2014, 05:57 AM
Here is one unit that may work for you. Amazon.com : Kenwood RFU-6100 Wireless Module for Surround Speakers : Electronics (http://www.amazon.com/Kenwood-RFU-6100-Wireless-Surround-Speakers/dp/B000278KJE/ref=cm_syf_dtl_top_1)

I don't know anything about this, it's only an example and not a recommendation.

What's interesting about this unit is that it connects to the speaker outputs of your amp and its receiver has a 50 watt amp built in to power the back speakers.

Many soundbars are wireless too.

Just remember that your receiver doesn't have preamp outs so the only way (that I know) to control the rear volume is to do like this Kenwood does and use the speaker outputs as the source.

Also, many of the wireless speakers are bluetooth which will "not" work for your application.

StevenSurprenant
02-19-2014, 06:30 AM
BTW, the center channel is probably the most important speaker you will need for surround because 90% (I'm making that up) of the time, that is where the sound is coming from during dialog.

RoyY51
03-05-2014, 07:34 PM
Hello. I've not posted here in a long time.

How could I set up a simple and inexpensive home theatre?

Should I go the soundbar route? I've read mixed things about them.

Currently I have a Yamaha RX-V480 receiver. It's about 30 years old I think. So I'd have to get a new A/V receiver. This Yamaha receiver has been good to me so I might stick with that brand.

I've got two Boston Acoustics freestanding speakers that are about 15-20 years old but they could serve as the main speakers.

As I see it I'd need -

1. New A/V receiver;
2. Subwoofer;
3. Two rear speakers.

Would they give me a basic, inexpensive setup?

I've got a Panasonic BluRay player for the discs.

I don't want to sacrifice music playing quality.

Thoughts? Advice?

Thank you.

A non-audiophile friend recently asked me for help in purchasing a surround-sound setup for his newly acquired big-screen. The major problem was that he only wanted to spend $300-$400. I knew that he couldn't get even a halfway decent receiver, 5 speakers and a sub for anywhere near that, so I started looking at reviews for soundbars. One of the brands that kept popping up near the top of almost everyone's list was Vizio...you know...the guys that make the televisions? I thought:" Okay...it's got to be better than the TV speakers"...so I gave him a couple of recommendations, including the Vizio. He ended up buying it, and asked for my help in setting it up. By the time I got there, he had it up and running.

Wow!

Although not the equal of my system (which costs an order of magnitude more than the Vizio), it sounded really good! The wireless subwoofer which powered the surround speakers was more than adequate, and the overall presentation was much better than I had expected. Given the fact that he had paid $260 at Costco, this has to rank as one of the better bargains that I have ever heard! My buddy is overjoyed, and my audiophile credentials are intact. You might want to give it a shot!

BTW: music sounded pretty damned good through it too!

Mingus
03-06-2014, 10:38 AM
I have a friend who went the same route.....a soundbar. His small/medium living room has a fireplace in the middle of room so he had to locate the big screen to a corner with no room for speakers. He purchase a Sony sound bar and its working out great with very nice sound. Its not as good as a 5.1 surround setup but certainly much better then tv speakers. Its not bad for casual music listening either. He has a high end two channel system in another room for more critical listening.