KEF Coda 70 - problem [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : KEF Coda 70 - problem

sound_thief
02-12-2014, 04:36 PM
Hi All –

I have a problem with a KEF Coda 70 speaker (just one of them, I own a pair). I have had these for over a year and I love them as an upgrade to the Coda 7 pair that I still own . The problem came when the amp I was using (Cambridge Audio P25) got a blown capacitor. I got a new amp and am driving the old pair of Coda 7 speakers with it – because, for some reason, not sure why, the woofer on one of the Coda 70 speakers does not work anymore; the tweeter is fine. I have opened the cabinet and everything looks pristine inside. I see no problems with the circuitry or the mechanical assembly.

I am a fan of decent sound for not too much money. So… Does anyone know what the problem might be? I do not own any electrical equipment and so have done no proper testing of bits and pieces. I do not want to get rid of the speakers if they are fixable. Also, if they are fixable, I would like to fix them—otherwise I will upgrade over the Coda 7’s, since the 70’s were a noticeable jump in quality over the 7’s (tighter, better bass extension, more immediate), and I want that back one way or another.

Thanks!

Current equipment:
Denon PMA-300V int amp
HRT Music Streamer II+ DAC
Cambridge Audio azur 540D DVD player (used as CD player)

JohnMichael
02-12-2014, 05:04 PM
I wonder if when the capacitor failed it sent a voltage spike that killed the woofer. There are more knowledgeable members that can speak on this issue. I would remove the woofer and have a shop electrically check the voice coil. Also I am wondering if the cone may exceeded it's excursion limits. Will the cone still move? A cone can get stuck out beyond the voice coil gap and if you are very lucky you might be able to work it back into place. I would not give up on the speakers but first try to solve what happened.

Welcome to AR and more advice to come.