Aerial 7T [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Aerial 7T

mjennings909
02-12-2014, 07:20 AM
I am looking at replacing my old Klipsch RF3's with Aerial 7T's anybody have any experiences with these?

JohnMichael
02-12-2014, 07:54 AM
I am looking at replacing my old Klipsch RF3's with Aerial 7T's anybody have any experiences with these?

I just know they have an incredible reputation. I think they would sound quite different from your Klipsch speakers. Different enough that you may have to listen to them a few times to acclimate to a new sound. Sometimes old and familiar sounds best at first.

Jack in Wilmington
02-12-2014, 08:26 AM
Heard them once at a dealer in the area and really liked the sound but they were way out of my price range so I didn't listen long. By all rights they should blow your Klipsch's out of the room, but that's if you have enough power to make them sing. Also like JM said you might be used to the Klipsch sound and this will be different. Curious to see what you think.

mjennings909
02-12-2014, 08:32 AM
The reason I am asking is I have an opportunity to get them at a great deal, around $4500 for the pair used in great condition. Audio Advice near me has some I can listen to, I know what your saying though I have been use to the Klipsch horn

Feanor
02-12-2014, 08:37 AM
As JohnMichael says, the Aerials are likely to sound much different than the Klipsch. You shouldn't buy them without listening, if possible, in your own system. Or at least carefully reading several reviews to find out how the reviewers assess their character.

The Aerial 7T's MSRP is close to $10,000; in this price range there is a wide selection of very fine speakers so considerable research is in order.

Note too that the Aerial 7T's are considerably less efficient, (lower sensitivity), than the Klipsch RF-3's. So whereas the Klipsch might be driven by an 8 watt tube amp, this won't be the case for the Aerials.

mjennings909
02-12-2014, 08:38 AM
By the way I would be driving them with a Musical Fidelity A3.2cr, 135W/channel

Feanor
02-12-2014, 08:41 AM
The reason I am asking is I have an opportunity to get them at a great deal, around $4500 for the pair used in great condition. Audio Advice near me has some I can listen to, I know what your saying though I have been use to the Klipsch horn
That price is indeed a great deal for Aerial 7T's in near-mint condition. On the other hand, for that price used -- even new -- you might find speakers you like better, (which isn't meant to be a criticism of the 7T's).

Feanor
02-12-2014, 08:43 AM
By the way I would be driving them with a Musical Fidelity A3.2cr, 135W/channel
That should be adequate power in a medium sized room despite that the Aerials are considerable less efficient than the Klipsch.

blackraven
02-12-2014, 08:59 AM
Here is a nice review on them-

Aerial Acoustics Model 7T loudspeaker | Stereophile.com (http://www.stereophile.com/content/aerial-acoustics-model-7t-loudspeaker)

Their sensitivity is rated at 89db, so they should be easy to drive with that amp of yours.