True Detective [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : True Detective

dean_martin
02-06-2014, 11:56 AM
This limited run series is 3 episodes in. After taking a break for Super Bowl Sunday, we should meet the killer (or the first suspect) this Sunday night. If you have HBO and you're not watching it, you should be able to catch up before the next episode.

It's dark and engaging. Of late, Matthew McConaughey is taking his craft seriuosly. Woody Harrelson is good too. I was afraid these guys got the go-ahead on name recognition alone, but there is real depth to their characters. I like a good mystery in which a clue here and another there begin to fit together. To recognize what's a clue and what's not requires these detectives to get into the psyche of someone who might be a serial killer. Symbology is explored. We see the personal lives of these cops as well which is entertaining, but not as gripping as the hunt for the killer. The setup is a little different. McConaughey and Harrelson are being interviewed by detectives many years after they supposedly caught the killer. We see their work in flashbacks. It's not perfectly clear why they're being interviewed by authorities many years later but there are hints that either a new serial killer is being sought or maybe Harrelson and Mac didn't really get their guy.

It's good. Catch it if and when you can.

bfalls
02-06-2014, 12:56 PM
I have these recorded, but haven't watched yet. Reminds me a little of "The Following" with Kevin Bacon. Very intriguing, well written, keeps your attention.

dean_martin
02-06-2014, 02:57 PM
I have these recorded, but haven't watched yet. Reminds me a little of "The Following" with Kevin Bacon. Very intriguing, well written, keeps your attention.

If the preview is any indication, Sunday night's episode should be a little freaky. Now would be a good time to catch up. This series might need to be discussed in real time before I start posting spoilers!

I'll have to check out The Following. Thanks.

topspeed
02-07-2014, 02:18 PM
I've watched the first two episodes and just can't seem to get into it. I've fallen asleep on it twice now, so I'm apparently too shallow for this sort of drama. Woody's girlfriend is smokin' hot tho, lol!

dean_martin
02-07-2014, 03:19 PM
I've watched the first two episodes and just can't seem to get into it. I've fallen asleep on it twice now, so I'm apparently too shallow for this sort of drama. Woody's girlfriend is smokin' hot tho, lol!

The 2nd episode wasn't as good as the 1st and 3rd. IMO, there were 2 problems with epi 2: 1) MM's character was way too cocky during the his interview scenes, and 2) although she's smokin' hot, I thought it was a stretch for WH's character to have a young chick on the side.

3rd epi was intense, had some great camera work and set up the confrontation with the suspect (which should occur in epi 4) really well.

WH's character used the same line he used in Kingpin, but in a serious context. I almost fell out of my chair.

Speedy - get more rest! You party too hard on Fri and Sat.