Halftime [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Halftime

noddin0ff
02-03-2014, 05:41 AM
Someones gotta start the thread.

I was suprised to find myself really enjoying the half-time show. Bruno Mars has been completely off my radar but I really enjoyed the family friendly energy, the tightness of the band, the glam the funk. Nice mash up. I normally enjoy the RHCPs too, but confess to having a OMGWTF moment when a 50+ and shirtless Anthony Kiedis lept at me. Bit of a disconnect there. I have no idea what the producers were thinking. A totally incongruous and bordering on disturbing transition of tone and imagery. Could've been happy with either but not both spliced together like that. Kudos to whomever picked Bruno, WTF to whomever paired him with RHCPs.

TheHills44060
02-03-2014, 06:45 AM
I didn't know who Bruno Mars was or his any of his songs but it wasn't bad. For one he was actually singing so I appreciated that. The stage was setup nicely and it looked well rehearsed. I like the Red Hot Chili Peppers but I agree the combination with Mars did not sound good together.

recoveryone
02-03-2014, 06:47 AM
Best half time show in years, I mean that from a technically stand point. The sound and imagery was good all around. I think the NFL let a real concert group come in and handle the show this time around.

Feanor
02-03-2014, 07:09 AM
So the "halftime" refers to mind-game break at the Super Bowl (American-style) football event? Was that yesterday?

I've never heard of Bruno Mars; I've never heard of Anthony Kiedis; I've never heard of RHCP; (the initials stand for something maybe?).

I didn't watch: I missed nothing.

Hyfi
02-03-2014, 07:24 AM
Bruno Mars = Prince+Little Richard+James Brown with a little Michael Jackson thrown in.

I am not a big Chilli Pepper fan but liked the energy. Chad Smith however is a killer drummer whose side band, The Meatpuppets, gets lots of rotation here.

JohnMichael
02-03-2014, 07:43 AM
So the "halftime" refers to mind-game break at the Super Bowl (American-style) football event? Was that yesterday?

I've never heard of Bruno Mars; I've never heard of Anthony Kiedis; I've never heard of RHCP; (the initials stand for something maybe?).

I didn't watch: I missed nothing.

You missed Renee Fleming sing in the pregame show.

Feanor
02-03-2014, 08:51 AM
You missed Renee Fleming sing in the pregame show.
Perhaps; what did she sing?

JohnMichael
02-03-2014, 09:07 AM
Perhaps; what did she sing?

Beautiful

Renée Fleming Super Bowl 2014 National Anthem - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_U46iWtIwk)

Feanor
02-03-2014, 10:48 AM
Beautiful

Renée Fleming Super Bowl 2014 National Anthem - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_U46iWtIwk)
Yes, thank you; it is a beautiful rendition of the USNA. I checked it out earlier: pity Fleming wasn't the principle attraction of the Halftime Show.

blackraven
02-03-2014, 12:36 PM
I have to say I was not a fan of Bruno Mars before the show, but he put on an excellent show. It was almost like watching a Motown group with the outfits and dancing. He sounded great, did not lip sync and the dancing was appropriate and fun, nothing over the top. It was a real class act.

As for the Chili Peppers- WTF! They came out wearing pajama bottoms and shirtless and the sound was so so. They did not mesh with Bruno.

3LB
02-05-2014, 07:07 AM
Best half time show in years, I mean that from a technically stand point. The sound and imagery was good all around. I think the NFL let a real concert group come in and handle the show this time around. one caveat - the Chilli Peppers mimed it. Keidis was singing, but the music was pre-recorded; none of the guitars were plugged in and the drums were not mic'd.

Red Hot Chili Peppers on Super Bowl performance: Yep, we faked it - CNN.com (http://edition.cnn.com/2014/02/04/showbiz/super-bowl-red-hot-chili-peppers/index.html)

Not the first time a halftime act lip-synced or mimed a performance. Mars' band was already on stage with their instruments (his drums were at least mic'd up as Bruno did a decent solo to start the show). I agree, RHCP or Mars were good enough choices for a halftime show, but putting both together made no sense. It was as though the NFL was afraid that Mars wasn't big enough for the moment. Maybe there wasn't as much buzz surrounding this year's announcement for the halftime performance. Or maybe the American public has grown numb to this sort of thing. Bruno Mars did a great job but having to share the stage with a miming RHCP short changed both acts and the audience.

As for Renee Fleming... meh. This was the first time an opera singer performed the national anthem at the SB and I half to admit, I couldn't wait for it to get over with - just not my cup of joe. Neither is the Star Bangled Banner for that matter; such a wordy mouthful, a plodding dirge of a song. And Fleming's laborious rendition of it didn't help. Can't they find another song to sing? Does it have to be the Star Spangled Banner every time? J.P. Sousa's arrangement would be better.

recoveryone
02-05-2014, 08:11 AM
In spite of the RHCP choice to go through the motions, I think it was a choice of bridging the gap of fresh new Pop star with a older group. Like many of you said, none of you never heard of Mars until the game, I have teenagers in my house and have heard the name for the past few years and in recent months heard a few of his releases. I still think is was one of the best halftime shows that I can recall since the NFL has been trying to do these mini concerts. Mars did a good job of blending his music by using the hook line from the RHCP to bring them out and there was no luls in the transition back to Mars when he did the ballad. the crowd was engaged and most people at home were also. Bruno's stock went way up across the board.

Feanor
02-05-2014, 09:47 AM
As for Renee Fleming... meh. This was the first time an opera singer performed the national anthem at the SB and I half to admit, I couldn't wait for it to get over with - just not my cup of joe. Neither is the Star Bangled Banner for that matter; such a wordy mouthful, a plodding dirge of a song. And Fleming's laborious rendition of it didn't help. Can't they find another song to sing? Does it have to be the Star Spangled Banner every time? J.P. Sousa's arrangement would be better.
I dare say if you're not an opera lover, Fleming's rendition of the USNA wasn't going to do a lot for you. I caught her performance after the fact thanks to JohnMichael's recommendation; I though it was a fine, operatic rendition.

Somebody elsewhere, (an opera lover supposedly), commented that it was "overly-dramatic, self-absorbed". Well I didn't think so -- not, in any case compared to renditions by popular singers, say Beyonce at the Presidential Inauguration, (which I like well enough, BTW).

I think The Star-Spangled Banner is one of the better national anthems; (I'm a little surprised to it described as "a plodding dirge": oh, well. I grant it isn't my favorite national anthem which honor goes to La Marseillaise, the French NA: a version sung by Mireille Mathieu, HERE (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIxOl1EraXA). Or another by Edith Piaf, HERE (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lu3eSNi__4w). No plodding dirge for sure.

blackraven
02-05-2014, 10:23 AM
WTF! She did a great job on the National Anthem. Much better than 99% of the people that try and sing it. And lets not forget that it is a national song representing America. It should give you a sense of pride when you hear it.

Hyfi
02-05-2014, 10:32 AM
This is the best one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1-jWl0O34U