Two Subwoofers [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Two Subwoofers

TheParty
01-28-2014, 05:13 PM
I am currently upgrading my passive 100 watt subwoofer I got in an awesome $50 deal i got on craiglist for a HT-330 onkyo surround sound system (can be seen here (http://www.ebay.com/sch/sis.html?_kw=Onkyo+HT-R330+AV+Receiver+with+Surround+Speakers+and+Subwoo fer+%26+Remote+-+5.1)) with a powered subwoofer. I was wondering if is possible to hook up my subs in series so that I could potentially use my old subwoofer and new one instead of just throwing the other old one out. The new subwoofer is a Polk Audio PSW Series PSW10 10" Powered Subwoofer while the old one is an 8 inch passive type that uses standard speaker wire. This setup is for a small dorm/bedroom and I am pretty poor/cheap at the moment to be honest. The receiver provides 8 ohms and 100 watts/channel (although it is more like 60 watts/channel to be honest) Is this worth it and safe to do? Again, I am a poor college student so just having powerful yet poor quality bass is not too big of an issue for me. Thanks for any input!

Mr Peabody
01-28-2014, 07:51 PM
If your receiver has terminals for two sets of speakers the 2nd set would be the best place for the passive sub. You'd probably get better sound quality without it though assuming it has no built in crossover, the passive would play too high of frequencies. I think you'll be happy with one powered sub and your speakers.