Newbie with slow TT issue [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Newbie with slow TT issue

Atomic Punk
01-28-2014, 03:13 PM
Hello, all! Newbie to forum, but not to vinyl. I recently purchased a 2nd 1959 Motorola Stereophonic TT, to re-sell and it is running a bit slow compared to the identical one I already have. It is a 6valve tube powered 3 channel unit w/ 5 speakers. (also a suitcase unit)
I removed the chassis from the good one and tried it in the incorrect one, to see if it was a motor voltage issue within the amp and the good TT played fine in the slower body unit. I removed idler wheel from the good one and tried it in the slow one, but no change. Cleaned idler wheel and underside of platter, too. The idler wheel and motor seem to be making good contact, compared to the correct working one.
The only thing I haven't tried is new grease on the spindle/ TT assy, but there doesnt even appear to be any present in the good one. Should there be a small amount on the innards, that has possibly dried up? I assume since it metal on metal parts, there should be.
Another thought is a tube issue. Will a bad tube cause something like this? I can try tube from good unit in slow one, but IDK if this is even an issue.
Other than the tad bit of slowness, the unit works great and auto changer is GTG, too.
Any help appreciated and thanks for having me on the forum!!

Atomic Punk
02-02-2014, 07:20 AM
Damn. 90 views and not one single answer???? I guess this is the wrong forum for vintage gear questions. Thanks anyways, guys.