Larger TV or HD cable box/ [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Larger TV or HD cable box/

rayh78
01-25-2014, 09:45 AM
Really hate having all the black bars top & bottom on a lot of channels.
Have Comcast with the standard cable box and Samsung 55" Led 7000 series TV.
Also don't like the idea of stretching the picture to make I fit. People look fatter.
Was going to get the HD Comcast box. But hate having to pa another $10.00 for each month. Wit the cable bill already high. I was just thinking longterm I would save money if I buy a larger TV like a 60". Would still have the black bars but a larger screen to make up for it. Since I was getting ready to Buy another 55"TV anyway. What do you think Thanks

JoeE SP9
01-25-2014, 03:47 PM
I would opt for the full HD cable box or a Roku. I can't see the point of having a 55" HDTV and feeding it standard definition signals. There is more to a full HD signal than the loss of black bars. Even a 720I picture is visually better than a standard definition 480I picture.

I dropped cable. I use an antenna for over the air TV. All the networks broadcast an HD picture over the air. To replace cable I bought a Roku and subscribed to Netflix. In addition the output from the Roku box is HD. At $8 a month it's one of the best buys I can think of.

Smokey
01-27-2014, 08:53 PM
I dropped cable. I use an antenna for over the air TV. All the networks broadcast an HD picture over the air.Might also be worth mentioning that HD channels over the air have much better picture quality than local HD stations feed from cable or satellite :)

noddin0ff
01-28-2014, 05:58 AM
Which leads the OP to a simple experiment. Get some rabbit ears and plug them into the TV antenna input. Switch over to your TV tuner and take a look at what real HD looks like on a network Broadcast. If you like, then weigh your options.