pre/power amp query [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : pre/power amp query

krell
01-18-2014, 03:37 PM
Hi,
New here, so some help please. I have a vinyl set-up with a modified J.A. Mitchell turntable into a Ming-Da MC-O8PPA phono preamp into a MingDa Mc34-AB (tube rolled and modded) with Acoustic Energy Aelite 3 speakers.
Would adding a separate pre- amp and using the MC34-A-B as a power amp improve the sound?
I am very happy as is, but wonder if it can be improved or not.
Many thanks,
Krell.

JohnMichael
01-18-2014, 04:02 PM
Hi,
New here, so some help please. I have a vinyl set-up with a modified J.A. Mitchell turntable into a Ming-Da MC-O8PPA phono preamp into a MingDa Mc34-AB (tube rolled and modded) with Acoustic Energy Aelite 3 speakers.
Would adding a separate pre- amp and using the MC34-A-B as a power amp improve the sound?
I am very happy as is, but wonder if it can be improved or not.
Many thanks,
Krell.

Welcome to AR! If it is not broke do not fix it. I looked up your amp and it seems to be an integrated amp which includes both pre and power-amp. By the way the amp is beautiful. Be happy I think you have all you need.

Mr Peabody
01-18-2014, 04:04 PM
Welcome to AR. I'm not familiar with that amp. If it's integrated you may improve thing if the external preamp is better than the internal one. If your amp is just a power amp then I would think the additional gain from a preamp may help especially from an analog source like phono stage.

krell
01-19-2014, 03:20 AM
Hi,thanks for swift reply. There is a switch for integrated/power and i saw this pre which matches mine; Meixing Mingda MC-2A3 Vacuum Tube Pre-Amplifier Special Class and was tempted. I have just replaced the pre amp valves with nos mullards so guess i will just leave well alone! Great site and nice people,
Krell