Help! Bass Management/Sub set up [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Help! Bass Management/Sub set up

Zdawg
04-23-2004, 09:17 AM
Hello Again-
Hopefully I can state my problem more clearly this time. I have the Denon 1804 and Boston Accoustic VR965 fronts (which have their own powered sub)-I am trying to decipher page 23 in the Denon Manual http://www.usa.denon.com/catalog/pdfs/avr%201804_884%20DFU.pdf As suggested, I set my fronts to "Small" . What should I select for Frequency (or does it vary?). Need your expertise!!!

Thanks
Z Dawg

kexodusc
04-23-2004, 09:43 AM
Try setting your crossover at 80 Hz to start, if it sounds like the bass is too bloated at the higher bass frequencies keep lowering your crossover, sometimes it's a trial and error/personal preference thing. What is the frequency response of the drivers (not the sub-woofer) in your speakers?

Zdawg
04-23-2004, 12:05 PM
Does this help

kexodusc
04-23-2004, 02:15 PM
Well, no not really :)
It seems they've included the built in subwoofer's frequency response, and don't tell you what the speakers would be otherwise...doesn't matter. I'm fairly confident 80Hz is a good setting for you to start at. There really is no absolute right or wrong, just your preferences. I find above 80Hz though, the sub-woofer starts to give itself away, 80 or 60 Hz is much better.