"Friday Night Tykes" [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : "Friday Night Tykes"

Worf101
01-17-2014, 06:03 AM
"Friday Night Tykes" If you thought "Toddlers and Tiaras" was disturbing... don't watch this. I understand football culture... I played my share of it in and out of uniform. I know what they're trying to do, but it's hard to watch 8 year olds take helmet to helmet hits and see them laying on the field motionless. Some of these coaches are certifiable, but some of these kids will grow up to be better men for it.... Needless to say I'm conflicted.
Worf

dean_martin
01-17-2014, 06:36 AM
My wife and I followed my 8 year old nephew's team this past season. They had one loss, but got their revenge in the championship game against the team that beat them. It was surreal at times, especially watching the coaches' speeches after their loss. Most of the parents were just as outraged as the coaches after that loss, but one parent was trying to get an explanation as to why his kid didn't get to play. The coaches ignored him. When he got frustrated and started yelling to get their attention, a group of moms/coaches' wives started screaming at him and calling him names in front their kids. There were many disturbing scenes like that during the season. After one game, my nephew came up to me and showed me the paint marks on his helmet from hits on the other team. He had been taught to be proud of helmet to helmet paint transfers.

(Worf, did you get my PMs?)

recoveryone
01-22-2014, 05:09 PM
And that is what is wrong with kids sports, the parents! And it does not stop there even at the high school level you get parents trying to get at coaches. I grew up during the days that if you were not good enough to play you road the bench until you got better or someone got hurt. IMHO it motivated me to get better, now everyone has to play and at the end of the year everyone gets a trophy just for participating now matter what the win loss record is.

That same mentality has carry over into our education system. Don't give little johnny an F for not doing his work, cause it may hurt his self esteem. We have created a culture of entitlement and wonder why people are willing to stay on the government dime and not work to better themselves. SMH