Very Confused [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Very Confused

danrclem
01-12-2014, 06:04 PM
For some reason I can't put any spaces between my paragraphs so this may be a little difficult to read. I've been doing some research on this site and just joined up recently so howdy to all. I'm now more confused than ever. There are so many options and I have so little knowledge on what actually works well. I'm going to buy another CD player, receiver and a set of speakers. I now have a Pioneer VSX-D503S receiver, Pioneer CS-G303 speakers and a Pioneer PD-F908 CD player. This system isn't too bad (to me anyway) but I want better. My main concern is from the music sound rather than the surround sound. I may just buy a 2 channel receiver and keep the VSX for the surround. I like my CD player and I'm going to buy a used Pioneer 301disc player. Should I buy a PD-F27 or a PD-F1039? Will there be much difference in the sound? I'd like to keep the cost of the receiver and speakers below $800.00 so I'm sure used equipment will have to be bought. I just want something with a good track record, good sound and be fairly available. Any suggestions will be appreciated. Vintage equipment is also an option. They will be used in a finished basement room that is 15' X 18'. The speakers will be facing the 15' direction. The ceiling is almost 8' tall with drywall. The floor has tile on it. Three walls have 1/2" wood on them and the 4th has brick on it. I mainly listen to older Country and Rock. I usually listen with my volume at about the 9 o'clock position. I would like the acoustic instruments to really stand out. All suggestions will be welcome and appreciated. Thanks, Danny

JohnMichael
01-12-2014, 07:31 PM
Dan I know it is weird now with posting. I am not always sure which to select to post. In the upper left corner below title you will see two choices. I tend to use the one that removes format.

Well actually it is working with the first A/A. My first thought is to decide on one component to change. Speakers are the most obvious change in an audio system. They make the most audible difference. I would shop for speakers and enjoy the benefit of new speakers. Since your other components are working I think this is the way to go.

After your speaker selection and when you can afford shop for better sources and amplification. When you try to replace everything it is easier to make mistakes. One component at a time. I have made myself a little crazy changing too many things too quickly.

blackraven
01-12-2014, 08:14 PM
Great advice JM! I would say put about 60-70% of your budget to speakers, maybe more if you want to save up later for a better 2ch receiver or integrated amp. Give a listen to B&W 685's, NHT Classic Three's, PSB B6's, Monitor Audio RX2's and consider Magnepan MMG's if you listen to a lot of acoustic music but you will need good amplification (and at least 100wpc) and a non ported sub if you want good bass.

By the way, stay away from used CD players. Also consider a single disk player, they will sound better than a multidisk.

Consider a Marantz cd 5003 or 5004 at some point in time.

Mr Peabody
01-12-2014, 08:43 PM
Welcome. Sounds like your room has a lot of reflective surfaces, don't spare some rugs and do some research on the internet on room treatments.

A popular move some like to do if your receiver has preamp outputs is to add an external amp. Those built into the receiver are limited, by things like space, power supply and coming in at a certain price.

In used gear the Adcom separates are incredibly good for what you can pick them up for. New you can pick up integrated amps in your budget from the likes of Cambridge Audio, NAD, and if more power Onkyo.

If you like a crisp sound you may want to look for some used Klipsch speakers but it helps to know their models that are decent, ie. KG series, Forte, Chorus or anything in the Heritage line. Any of these would be good with a low powered integrated. Another good thing about Klipsch, if they've been treated well they last for decades due to the efficiency the woofers barely move. The later Reference series is decent as well but more expensive.

As you mentioned though there are so many options.... Including just buying a better sounding home theater receiver. For a nice midrange I'd go with Marantz or Yamaha.

danrclem
01-13-2014, 09:49 AM
Thanks for all of the replies. I'll do a search on the products that you all have recommended. The Klipsch Chorus II have a loyal following so that is a definite possibility.

Mark of Cenla
01-14-2014, 10:40 AM
I had good luck with a new Pioneer AVR, a Sony CD changer, and Boston Acoustic CS26 speakers. The Pioneer has a better digital to analog converter (DAC) than the Sony CD changer, so I connect them via the optical audio out from the Sony into the optical audio input on the Pioneer. It sounds very nice that way. I paid about $110 for the CD changer and $200 for the AVR. both of which were bought in 2013 at Best Buy. I already had the speakers. Good luck. Peace and goodwill.

danrclem
01-19-2014, 11:10 PM
I found a Pioneer SX-939 that is supposed to be in good shape for the asking price of $175.00. I would have to travel about 100 miles to buy it but I enjoy road trips. Do you guys think that would fit my needs and is it worth the price? If I bought something like this it would leave me more money for speakers.

I also found an Onkyo A-7070 Amp & T-4040 Tuner for $175.00 + $35.00 shipping.

Which would be the best of the two?

Thanks,
Danny

blackraven
01-20-2014, 04:55 AM
Danny, I would take the Pioneer just for the fact that you will be able to physically see it. I would advise you to also listen to it and make sure it works. I really like the sound of 1970's Pioneer gear. I don't know much about 1970's Onkyo gear though.

You may want to consider buying newer used gear however. Stuff from the 1970's will eventually have something go bad like capacitors, power supplies, etc.

Here is a nice Cambridge Audio 351A integrated-

Cambridge Audio AZUR 351A black store demo mint condition | Solid state | Kingstown, North Carolina 28150 | AudiogoN - The High-end Audio Community (http://app.audiogon.com/listings/solid-state-cambridge-audio-azur-351a-black-store-demo-mint-condition-2014-01-16-amplifiers-28150)

This Panasonic Digital receiver was highly regarded and sought after-

Panasonic SA-XR55 stereo receiver, original remote, all original packing, digital amp and DAC in one, with cryoed IEC adaptor | Solid state | Salt Lake City, 84152 | AudiogoN - The High-end Audio Community (http://app.audiogon.com/listings/solid-state-panasonic-sa-xr55-stereo-receiver-original-remote-all-original-packing-digital-amp-2014-01-20-amplifiers-84152)

Here is an Onkyo 2ch receiver-

Onkyo TX-8050 2-Channel Network Stereo Receiver | Accessories4less (http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/ONKTX8050/Onkyo-TX-8050-2-Channel-Network-Stereo-Receiver/1.html)

Here is a Marantz ( I really like the warmer sound of Marantz)
Marantz SR4023 80w X 2ch Ci Friendly Stereo Receiver | Accessories4less (http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/MARSR4023/Marantz-SR4023-80w-X-2ch-Ci-Friendly-Stereo-Receiver/1.html#!specifications)

Mr Peabody
01-20-2014, 06:37 AM
Makes sense to see it, however, firstly, the Onkyo would be the better performer, it's an integrated amp which generally is designer to be a step up from receivers, and, secondly, Onkyo, comparing similar products, IMO, has always outperformed brands like Pioneer. Onkyo has always embraced high current amp sections for a more powerful sound and better bass, overall better control over the speakers. A guy here on the forum recently wanted to replace his Onkyo and had a tough time finding something he thought was better.

danrclem
01-20-2014, 10:34 AM
I am learning some by reading and with the help of you good people.

I had thought about going newer but a lot of what I read says that the new stuff (in my price range) doesn't sound as good as the vintage. I have very limited knowledge of audio amps so I have no clue if that is true or not. I read the thread that you're referring to Mr Peabody and it seems to back that up.

Mr Peabody
01-20-2014, 11:52 AM
A new Krell amp costs new $4k in a few years you may be able to find it used for $2kYou will always find more for your money used aside from the possible risks. It really isn't so much about vintage vs new, too many variables, not always apples to apples. Same thing with most items, want a BMW but can't afford it, check the pre-owned lot. Nothing wrong with that. It's interesting to me that audio gear keeps trending more expensive while the economy isn't really recovered and from what we are told only the 1% can afford the stuff new.

blackraven
01-20-2014, 03:07 PM
One thing to remember about Pioneer gear from the 1970's it that they were built like tanks and had beefy power supplies, not like the junk today. Pioneer had a warmer sound as did Marantz and Sansui from that era. I don't think that there would be much difference between the Pioneer and Onkyo. That Pioneer was a higher end model. Both would be good, but as Mr P said, the Onkyo is an integrated and probably better. But not all integrated from that era were better than the receivers.

That Pioneer is rated at 75wpc and that is a lot of power for a receiver from that era. Pioneer made good stuff back then, not the junk that they made in the 1980's through the 1990's. Just about all the major mainstream companies went south at the same time with cheap junk.

Unworthy
01-27-2014, 01:05 PM
Stuff from the 1970's will eventually have something go bad like capacitors, power supplies, etc.

Ditto. I had to retire my Pioneer SX 1010 because of an intermittent problem that a tech could never reproduce. It would only break up when I was settled in to enjoy an extended listening session. When it worked, it still sounded great, but it eventually drove me nuts.

Mash
01-28-2014, 03:50 PM
If you do not want to become poor with endless upgrades....

Then go with Mackie HR824Mk2 servo controlled (active) powered speakers. Connect these to your tuner/DVD player/(and so on) preamp-outs. Receivers too. These recording studio monitors will NOT disappoint.

If you want better, then go tube-driven Magnepans / Magneplanars.

I got off the stereo upgrade bandwagon years ago and now we are in the upper 1%.

danrclem
01-29-2014, 11:38 PM
You guys are about to convince me to buy a newer amp. Will the sound of the Onkyo TX-8050 be quite a bit better than my Pioneer? My Pioneer has 110 W/CH but I know that the wattage isn't the deciding factor.

I'd love to buy some high dollar speakers but the budget is just not there. Do any of you have any experience with Klipsch KG4 speakers? There is a set local for sale for $300 OBO. I'm willing to go more that that for a set of speakers if I can get more bang for the buck.

I bought my last outfit in 1995 so I want to do this right because it may be a long time before I can upgrade again.

blackraven
01-30-2014, 08:58 AM
I don't know anything about the Klipsch but if you are open to book shelf speakers, these Monitor Audio RS1's are nice. I own the previous version, the S1's.

Monitor Audio RS1 Cherry | Monitors | Santa Rosa, California 95403 | AudiogoN - The High-end Audio Community (http://app.audiogon.com/listings/monitors-monitor-audio-rs1-cherry-2014-01-02-speakers-95403)

These Dynaudio 52's are a great buy and are better than the Monitor Audio and I imagine the Klipsch. They are warmer sounding from what I remember. Dynaudio makes great speakers. There a quite a few members here that have them. I don't think that you can do any better at this price. If I was in need of a speaker right now I would buy them myself.

Dynaudio Audience 52 Speakers in Cherry Finish | Monitors | Chicago, Illinois 60622 | AudiogoN - The High-end Audio Community (http://app.audiogon.com/listings/monitors-dynaudio-audience-52-speakers-in-cherry-finish-2014-01-25-speakers-60622-chicago-il)

StereoTimes -- The EAR 834P Phono Preamplifier (http://www.stereotimes.com/speak081604.shtml)

Dynaudio Audience 52-SE Loudspeaker Review | Audioholics (http://www.audioholics.com/bookshelf-speaker-reviews/dynaudio-52se)

If you buy that onkyo receiver, make sure it is returnable if you don't like it.

Here is another excellent speaker-
QUAD 12L2 Classic Bookshelf Speakers | Monitors | Purchase, New York 10577 | AudiogoN - The High-end Audio Community (http://app.audiogon.com/listings/monitors-quad-12l2-classic-bookshelf-speakers-2014-01-19-speakers-10577-purchase-ny)

It would be easier to drive than the Dyn's.

here are a pair of Paradigm floor standers that are a great deal and good sounding speaker. This is another speaker that is hard to beat at this price.

Paradigm Studio Monitors | Monitors | Mansfield, Massachusetts 02048 | AudiogoN - The High-end Audio Community (http://app.audiogon.com/listings/monitors-paradigm-studio-monitors-2014-01-06-speakers-02048-mansfield-ma)

here is a good deal on a Wharfedale speaker. They tend to be more laid back with good detail-
WHARFEDALE DIAMOND 10.4 (CHERRY) **DEMO** at Music Direct (http://www.musicdirect.com/p-99589-wharfedale-diamond-104-cherry-demo.aspx)