Sony Gets Behind Hi-Rez and New Product [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Sony Gets Behind Hi-Rez and New Product

Mr Peabody
01-10-2014, 06:51 PM
Here's an informative article on Hi-Rez music files, Sony's push, their new product & sites for downloads. Beyond MP3: New push for high-resolution music so clear you can hear a pin drop | Fox News (http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2014/01/09/beyond-mp3-new-push-for-high-resolution-music/)

Mr Peabody
01-13-2014, 08:46 AM
I saw the owner of Acoustic Sounds struck a deal to download hi-rez versions of Sony's catalog. Not much information yet but this could expand genres from just "audiophile" Jazz & Classical. Hi-Rez still may not be mainstream but tis is a step in the right direction to expand customer base.

Feanor
01-13-2014, 10:15 AM
I saw the owner of Acoustic Sounds struck a deal to download hi-rez versions of Sony's catalog. Not much information yet but this could expand genres from just "audiophile" Jazz & Classical. Hi-Rez still may not be mainstream but tis is a step in the right direction to expand customer base.
Yes, it's definitely a step in the right direction. I had a quick look at the Acoustic Sounds "Super HiRez" site and the selection looks VERY limited at the moment, even in Jazz and Classical.

A bit of good news is that Acoustic Sounds says they will sell to Canadian customers -- this isn't the case with HDTracks, at least not the last time a I checked a couple of months ago.

Smokey
01-14-2014, 08:14 PM
As usual when new format in music is introduced, it will be DOA. In the linked article, it said that: “The masses are now going to have an opportunity to be exposed to high res.”

Thats is fine and all, but masses are not going to fork over $2000 for new Sony hi-rez player the HAP-Z1ES to hear uncompressed digital file DSD or PCM formats.

That is just not going to happen :frown2:

Feanor
01-15-2014, 05:04 AM
As usual when new format in music is introduced, it will be DOA. In the linked article, it said that: “The masses are now going to have an opportunity to be exposed to high res.”

Thats is fine and all, but masses are not going to fork over $2000 for new Sony hi-rez player the HAP-Z1ES to hear uncompressed digital file DSD or PCM formats.

That is just not going to happen :frown2:
Sounds like traditional Sony thinking in the mode of Beta video cassettes, MiniDisc, SACD, etc. It could be déjà vu all over gain if they expect people to fork over big bucks for new, proprietary or semi-proprietary technology.

Smokey
01-15-2014, 08:45 PM
Sounds like traditional Sony thinking in the mode of Beta video cassettes, MiniDisc, SACD, etc. It could be déjà vu all over gain if they expect people to fork over big bucks for new, proprietary or semi-proprietary technology.

You know it will.

If you think about it, the dominate physical format for audio is still CD which was launched when Carter was president. That makes that technology 35 years old. Which mean we still be watching VHS if video technology had kept the same physical format pace as audio :nonod:

Mr Peabody
01-16-2014, 07:11 AM
The $2k piece is the top of line, Sony has a couple less expensive but also include some amplification.

This is not really a new format, people are already downloading hi-rez to their hard drives and decoding through compatible DAC's. What's new is Sony offering more content and making a push to make more people aware of hi-rez. And, of course, offering a few products to make money doesn't hurt. I think Sony noticed the popularity growing of sites like HD Tracks and wants to get a share of the pie hoping the growth continues.

On the downside overall I saw the FCC was defeated in court, the courts allowing internet providers like Verizon who was part of the suit to continue to clamp down on speed and access. This has to be a sad day for consumers and those offering internet content of any form.

Mr Peabody
01-16-2014, 08:21 AM
I should also add that before Sony, folks like Naim Audio, who has their own label, and Dynaudio, probably others, were already offering hi-rez downloads along with the sites listed in the article. Sony is getting the light, probably due to the products offered and backing, but they are really later to the game.

Sir Terrence the Terrible
01-16-2014, 03:21 PM
The $2k piece is the top of line, Sony has a couple less expensive but also include some amplification.

While the 2K price may stop the mass market, it will not stop those who love music on great gear, and are willing to play this angle up relentlessly. The fact that there are less expensive products that get the job done, that is where the music market will land.

This is not really a new format, people are already downloading hi-rez to their hard drives and decoding through compatible DAC's. What's new is Sony offering more content and making a push to make more people aware of hi-rez. And, of course, offering a few products to make money doesn't hurt. I think Sony noticed the popularity growing of sites like HD Tracks and wants to get a share of the pie hoping the growth continues.

Less face it, only a few companies are really pioneers(willing to take the chances based on R&D and timeline), but many are sheeple...especially small companies. But when a giant makes the plunge, most companies(large and small) are willing to take chances they would not normally make. Apple did a wonderful job at introducing the concept of software support to bolster hardware sales. It is worth it for a premium hardware company to support an infrastructural of software delivery. It support sales of their product.

On the downside overall I saw the FCC was defeated in court, the courts allowing internet providers like Verizon who was part of the suit to continue to clamp down on speed and access. This has to be a sad day for consumers and those offering internet content of any form.

On the other hand, cable providers are losing customers big time(something not reported on online or broadcast news), and if they continue to pursue the direction they are, they will lose more customers and revenue as well.

There are always unintended consequences to going to court rather than actually competing in the market.

Sir Terrence the Terrible
01-16-2014, 03:23 PM
You know it will.

If you think about it, the dominate physical format for audio is still CD which was launched when Carter was president. That makes that technology 35 years old. Which mean we still be watching VHS if video technology had kept the same physical format pace as audio :nonod:

Smoke, while CD is still the dominate physical format, when you look at the rate of decline year over year, you know that will change rather quickly over time. Do you want to be in front of the curve(streaming and downloads) are do you want to be behind it playing catch up?

Smokey
01-17-2014, 07:49 PM
Smoke, while CD is still the dominate physical format, when you look at the rate of decline year over year, you know that will change rather quickly over time.So you are saying there are no concrete plans to replace CD with Hi-REZ physical format once it is dethroned. As of now music files are portable due to being small size, but hi-rez files take 10 times space as MP3s does (100 mgb vs 10 mgb). So portability might be an issue with big music files.

Feanor
01-18-2014, 06:54 AM
Smoke, while CD is still the dominate physical format, when you look at the rate of decline year over year, you know that will change rather quickly over time. Do you want to be in front of the curve(streaming and downloads) are do you want to be behind it playing catch up?
I download music but CD or better quality is still relatively scarce. In any case I would still prefer to buy my music in a permanent, physical format even if I rip it to computer files. CD is essentially the only current choice, though for mainly classical listeners the SACD selection is reasonably good, (no thanks Sony).

SACD is pain because I can't rip it to computer; (there is no consumer product that will do this: another a triumph of corporate greed). BTW, the current availability of hi-rez download in standard, unprotected PCM or DSD format proves the the whole copy protection thing never was necessary.

CD is bad for a couple of the reasons that come to mind. First & foremost it isn't high enough resolution: it ought to be 24 bit / 88.2 or 96 kHz at least. Secondly and less importantly, the standard "jewel box" container was always an ill-conceived being thicker than necessary and too easily damaged.

Non-copy protected DVD-A format disc, (in a more compact & damage resistant container), is probably the answer to store PCM format hi-rez, or perhaps FLAC compressed files. (With higher density and compression, ordinary stereo CD content could be stored on disc the size of a 50¢ piece.)