Mccormack DNA 500? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Mccormack DNA 500?

blackraven
01-03-2014, 04:44 PM
Has any one ever heard a Mccormack DNA 500 amp? I have always been curious as to how this amp sounds and what amps it competes with.

McCormack Audio Corporation of Virginia (http://www.mccormackaudio.com/dna500.html)

JohnMichael
01-03-2014, 05:54 PM
Never heard their electronics but always products one would aspire to own. Many good reviews especially when Steve first started producing equipment. If I remember correctly he started Mod Squad and I owned some Tip Toes cones and he had a cartridge interface that had miniature tip toes on both sides to interface cartridges with tonearms.

Again if memory serves Conrad and Johnson either bought the company and kept Steve in charge or invested in the company. I think that is in itself a great recommendation for the products.

I wish I could talk about the sound but I have only read reviews. The company has been around for decades and I would like to hear their products. They are certainly worth considering.

Feanor
01-03-2014, 06:48 PM
Never heard their electronics but always products one would aspire to own. Many good reviews especially when Steve first started producing equipment. If I remember correctly he started Mod Squad and I owned some Tip Toes cones and he had a cartridge interface that had miniature tip toes on both sides to interface cartridges with tonearms.

Again if memory serves Conrad and Johnson either bought the company and kept Steve in charge or invested in the company. I think that is in itself a great recommendation for the products.

I wish I could talk about the sound but I have only read reviews. The company has been around for decades and I would like to hear their products. They are certainly worth considering.
Ditto JohnMichae's remarks. McCormack is a subsidiary of Conrad Johnson and I believe McCormack has an ongoing but fairly loose connection with CJ.

Like CJ's former solid state amps, which they no longer make, the McCormacks have a reputation for smooth, slightly warm sound. According to some comments I've heard, later models are more highly resolving than the earlier ones.

Mr Peabody
01-04-2014, 07:32 AM
I have not heard them either but when I was talking to Spearitsound about amps way back I was told McCormack was forward and leaned to the cool side, nothing like CJ. My impression is that they would be a departure from what the Pass does. The CJ solid state used MOSFET output devices which would give it a darker warmer feel. I'd have to check to see what McCormack does.

blackraven
01-04-2014, 08:59 AM
I have not heard them either but when I was talking to Spearitsound about amps way back I was told McCormack was forward and leaned to the cool side, nothing like CJ. My impression is that they would be a departure from what the Pass does. The CJ solid state used MOSFET output devices which would give it a darker warmer feel. I'd have to check to see what McCormack does.

That is really surprising, every review that I have read says that the DNA-500 is warm, detailed and transparent with a great low end. The only reason that I posted about this amp is because the X250 heats up my room and it may be too warm during the summer. I still have my A21 and could use it during the summer. Other option would be to sell the A21 and find a used DNA-250 to use during the summer or sell the Pass and get a DNA-500. I would prefer to keep the X-250.

Mr Peabody
01-04-2014, 09:10 AM
Yeah, after reading this review 6moons audio reviews: McCormack Audio DNA-500 (http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/mccormack/dna500.html) I wonder as well. The 500 has an interesting build which is described in the review, it has a mix of JFET's, MOSFET's, and bipolar at the absolute output. I'd love to hear one, the power alone would be exciting. It does seem to run cool and is slightly lighter in weight than the X250. After hearing what the Mac 1k mono's did to the large B&W, never under estimate what power can do :). Chip really gave the amp a good review and contacted Steve for the inside scoop on build.

blackraven
01-04-2014, 09:41 AM
That 6moons review was the review that got me thinking about getting a DNA-500. It may better a better amp for my 1.6's than the X250 with its warmer richer sound. I will see how the summer goes with the heat in my listening area. My room faces the south and west and has huge windows.