Record Collectors: What are your Holy Grails that you OWN and would never part with? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Record Collectors: What are your Holy Grails that you OWN and would never part with?

unleasHell
12-28-2013, 06:36 PM
Mine would be:

Yardbirds - Live w/Jimmy Page

Mythos - First (no title) on famous German OHR label

Mr Peabody
12-29-2013, 10:02 PM
I don't know about "never", I had an uncle who used to say everything is for sale at the right price. One of my cherished LP's I picked up within the last couple years Mama's Pride, debut LP which is not on CD. I have a good copy of Rare Bird's, Peace of Mind; "Long John Baldry, I have a Jimmy Whitherspoon which I didn't realize was worth so much until I seen his LP's priced used; I have a good selection of Marshall Tucker Band and at least at one point their catalog was not on CD; although I have a CD anthology of Brownsville Station I just recently found their LP that featured Martian Boogie; HSAS which I don't think ever came to CD; Gamma 1, 2 & 3, I heard Ronnie and the band made 4 in recent years before his death but I haven't heard it; I have two Nantucket titles and I believe that may be all they made; that's a few off the top of my head. I collect things I like to listen to not to hold for resale. I have several LP's that are like one hit wonder or one hit classics, like Andy Pratt's Avenging Annie or Tycoon's, Such A Woman.

3LB
12-30-2013, 12:11 PM
I would never part with my Japan pressing CD of Gerry Rafferty's City To City.

Traveller
01-02-2014, 08:37 PM
... one hit wonder or one hit classics, like Andy Pratt's Avenging Annie or Tycoon's, Such A Woman.

Another Avenging Annie lover! I got that LP back in the day, unfortunately when my playback gear left a lot to be desired. It got torn up to heck and back and I tossed it years ago thinking I'd find a decent used copy. Nope, not yet. Maybe never.

MasterCylinder
01-03-2014, 05:26 AM
I gave up on vinyl long ago.
But I do have a Japanese remaster of Return to Forever's ROMANTIC WARRIOR that is nothing short of awesome.............many others, but that is the first that comes to mind.

Feanor
01-03-2014, 05:32 AM
The only collectable I have worth anything is a first edition LP of Carlos Kleiber/Vienna Philharmonic's Beethoven 5th Symphony on Deutsche Grammophon.

I collect music, not so much recordings. However I do have hundreds of excellent recordings that I intend to keep.

Bolle
01-17-2014, 02:43 AM
Sergiu Celibidache Brahms 4th Symphony,(radio broadcast)
Miles Davis,kind of Blue
Oscar Peterson, Night Train
Milt Jackson & Wes Montgomery,Bags meets Wes
Joni Mitchell,Heijira
Hank Mobley,Soul Station
Mingus, Ah um
Carmen Gomes inc.,Torn
Pieter Wispelvey,J.S.Bach,cello suites 2nd recording

Mr Peabody
01-17-2014, 06:04 AM
I'm not so sure about the Miles Davis unless your copy was a collector item, there are some really good pressings of this album on 180 gram vinyl and remastering.

I would add to my list a double album of Buddy Miles I recently discovered in a pile of LP's I hadn't gone through yet. I was aware of him as an artist but sadly have to admit I didn't realize he drummed for Hendrix for a while. I just added to my Collection Band of Gypsy's. I also learned he was the voice of one of the California Raisins.