Help with Amp choice [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Help with Amp choice

Eischman
12-21-2013, 07:20 PM
Need some help on what type of amp(s) (2 channel or 4) and how many watts I need
for an A/V receiver, lets start with what its got to power,
My setup: Main speakers are Polk RTi 10 (I run the "A" speakers from the receiver to
these, for the "B" speakers I run it to a Adcom 6 speaker selector that runs 5 sets of
speakers, but never all at once (2 at the most)
My current A/V receiver(Yamaha RX-V2095) is 100watts X 5, which is fine for movies
and my surround sound, BUT... when it comes to 2-channel stereo the RTi 10's and the
other speakers on the Adcom (Polk RTi 6's and Cerwin Vega DX bookshelf speakers) just
don't have any PUNCH!
Do I get a 4 channel that runs my mains and the Adcom 6 or 2-2channel amps for them both,
The Adcom 6 is rated at 200 watts max and the RTi 10's are 300 watts/Ch max

THANKS for any input!!

Mr Peabody
12-24-2013, 09:51 PM
What is your budget? Keep in mind there could be several reasons why your speakers aren't "punchy", Yamaha typically doesn't have a punchy bass response, you may have a setting in the bass management that is rolling off the bottom end, if A/B terminals are played at the same time they could be in series and the speakers receive less power or the switch box in general could present an issue.

If your receiver has preamp outputs an external amp could be used, I don't know of any 4 channel home amps, typically 2, 3, 5 or higher. I'm pretty sure if you use your main outputs it will disabled both A & B, have you tried to run the extra speakers off the 2nd zone output?

If you like your Adcom they are very good buys used.

blackraven
12-26-2013, 08:17 PM
First of all, dismiss the power ratings of your speakers which means absolutely nothing except for the minimum power requirements.

If you are using a sub in your system, make sure that in 2ch you have the speakers set to full range with the sub turned off or the bass set to kick in a freq range at or below lowest freq that your speakers go down to.

If this does not work then you should get a 2ch amp just to drive your speakers. It could also be that the preamp section of your receiver does not put out punchy bass. With amps, just remember that a high powered amp does not always equate to deep, punchy bass. I have a 25wpc Dayton DTA 100 digital amp that puts out powerful punchy bass.

Parasound makes some nice amps that put out nice bass. Class D Audio digital amps and Peachtree digital amps put out some nice bass. But there has to be some synergy with the other components such as the preamp, source-CD player, Turntable, DAC, computer, and speakers.

Also remember, if you are playing MP3 through your stereo that the music will sound flat, compressed without much dynamics. MP3 was not made for home audio. It is missing 30% of the recorded information.

Eischman
12-27-2013, 03:36 PM
Well the RX-V2095 has Speaker settings as follows:
Main speakers: Large or Small, (set to large)
LFE/Bass Out: SW,Main,or Both (set to both)
Main Level: Normal and -10db (set to normal)
I think Im going to get a new A/V receiver and start from there, that way I can eliminate some of the speakers on the adcom by making my rec room(2 sets of speakers) a zone 2 out of the new receiver and into my old RX-V2095.
Anyone know what make is better for 2-ch listening? but still sounds good for movie surround? At or under $1000

blackraven
12-27-2013, 03:55 PM
I recommend Marantz AVR's for their 2ch sound quality.

Marantz SR5008, SR6008, and SR7008 Receivers Preview | Audioholics (http://www.audioholics.com/av-receiver-reviews/marantz-sr5008-sr6008-sr7008)

Marantz SR6008 7.2 Networking Home Theater Receiver with AirPlay (http://hifiheaven.net/store/Marantz-SR6008-7.2-Networking-Home-Theater-Receiver-with-AirPlay?language=en&currency=USD)

Marantz - SR6008 - 7.2 Channel Home Theater Receiver with AirPlay for $884.89 - best price SR6008 in (http://www.exclusivetvs.com/marantz-sr6008-7-2-channel-home-theater-receiver-with-airplay-best-price.html?utm_source=Google%2BPLA&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=SPSGCGroup&gclid=CPXY-uLM0bsCFbQWMgod8yYAew#fo_c=148&fo_k=c88dfc0f0196657b3ef65986c7a0fdc9&fo_s=gplaus)

Mr Peabody
12-27-2013, 05:21 PM
I 2nd the Marantz, nice. If you like punch in the bass you might also look at the Onkyo receivers. Onkyo will have a bit more aggressive sound than Marantz. A bit over your budget and may take more effort to find but the Harman Kardon AVR-3603 could give you best of both, you'd have to check to make sure it will do all you need.

Eischman
12-28-2013, 04:16 AM
Thanks for the reply,
Some type of connection to the PC is a must but I dont know if it will
do what I want it to do...
I have almost 300 music videos in the DivX format on my PC and right now
inorder to play them they are copied onto a portable hard drive and that is hooked up to my blueray player(DivX certified) via the USB port.
I'm hoping it can play them right from the PC but I might be dreaming?

blackraven
12-28-2013, 05:44 AM
The Marantz has a usb input. But you should also consider an external usb dac like one of these-

Schiit Audio, Headphone amps and DACs made in USA. (http://schiit.com/products/modi)

https://www.nuforce.com/index.php?option=com_k2&view=item&layout=item&id=666&Itemid=2659#design

Eischman
12-28-2013, 11:15 AM
Thanks for the info, I never knew what a DAC was or heard of it, but by reading the links I'm getting the idea.