Denon AVR-989 repair help [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Denon AVR-989 repair help

crudeau
12-14-2013, 09:31 AM
Hi guys! So I just picked up a denon AVR-989 for cheap. Problem is that it just goes into protection mode. No LCD or anything. Just protection mode. I can hold the two button reset and then I get relay clicks and the LCD screen flashes. So I'm pretty certain the power supply is fine. I did find that one of the large transistors on top has a short. So I cut the legs but the short is on the board somewhere as I still get a short on the board. So I'm curious where I should go from here. How much can I remove and still fire the unit up. I figure that would get me down to the board that has the short and then I can go from there. Or do these units have a known problem that I can just go right into.

crudeau
12-14-2013, 10:16 AM
Just tried completely unplugging the top board which has the short. Same story. Right to protection mode without attempting to click a relay. If I had the two buttons and power on then I get relay clicks and the lcd flashes. As soon as I let go it goes to protection mode

crudeau
12-14-2013, 02:04 PM
So I know have everything removed and disconnect. Only thing hooked up is front panel, the side board with ribbon cables to front panel and power supply. So what am I missing here? Does anyone have a schematic or something. Maybe my power supply is bad but I'm confused as to why the lcd screen lights up when I do the reset

aliciarohail
01-06-2014, 10:37 PM
The Onkyo is only a few years old, but problems 1 and 2 seem insurmountable.