Psychic musings [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Psychic musings

MAF
12-12-2013, 06:05 PM
Last month I went to see Mazzy Star at Club Soda here in MTL. The opening act, who's name wasn't on the bill were laying down this hypnotic groove that had me swaying back and forth, eyes closed feeling like I was about thirty years younger and under the influence of one of those narcotic vices in which I once indulged. Allmusic counts Spacemen 3 among their influences and I'm down with that. The Velvets and a slowed down Feelies are what I first thought of. Whatever it was it was working for me. Towards the end of Mazzy's set (which was also quite fine). I wandered into the lobby and found the bass player and drummer of Psychic Ills sitting behind a table selling vinyl CDs and memorabilia. Bass player recommended their newest release; One Track Mind a copy of which I brought home on vinyl. Been grooving and swaying to it ever since. Here's a taste...

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/1jdqs7z7EHw?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

Next month it's Neutral Milk Hotel at The Olympia, can't wait though I really have no idea what to expect.

Jack in Wilmington
12-12-2013, 06:49 PM
I see that NMH is coming to one of our local venues the end of January. Swish might chime in as I believe he has seen them in concert.

Swish
12-13-2013, 09:26 AM
Last month I went to see Mazzy Star at Club Soda here in MTL. The opening act, who's name wasn't on the bill were laying down this hypnotic groove that had me swaying back and forth, eyes closed feeling like I was about thirty years younger and under the influence of one of those narcotic vices in which I once indulged. Allmusic counts Spacemen 3 among their influences and I'm down with that. The Velvets and a slowed down Feelies are what I first thought of. Whatever it was it was working for me. Towards the end of Mazzy's set (which was also quite fine). I wandered into the lobby and found the bass player and drummer of Psychic Ills sitting behind a table selling vinyl CDs and memorabilia. Bass player recommended their newest release; One Track Mind a copy of which I brought home on vinyl. Been grooving and swaying to it ever since. Here's a taste...

<iframe src="//www.youtube.com/embed/1jdqs7z7EHw?feature=player_detailpage" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="360" width="640"></iframe>

Next month it's Neutral Milk Hotel at The Olympia, can't wait though I really have no idea what to expect.

..but my best friend went and loved it. And for Neutral Milk...I will be seeing them near the end of January.

The venue is a bit small (Union Transfer in Philly) and the band only allowed you to buy 2 tickets and all are 'will call'. This is an obvious attempt to limit scalpers, and I salute them for it. It sold out in about 20 minutes, by the way.

unleasHell
12-14-2013, 11:25 AM
I have been getting into the Psychic Ills lately because of this song:
Psychic Ills - Aldebaran - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93GwvQ9phfk)

I also highly recommend Follakzoid, the P-Ills remixed one of their songs here:
"II" RMX | Föllakzoid (http://follakzoid.bandcamp.com/album/ii-rmx)