Need a little help! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Need a little help!

RoyY51
12-12-2013, 04:28 PM
Well, I finally got rid of my old RPTV and bought a Vizio M601d-A3. The picture is remarkable! I had been watching my slowly deteriorating Hitachi for so long that the amazing LED picture came as a complete shock to these old eyes! The colors, the detail, the perceived depth of image...just wonderful! There's only one little fly in the ointment: I can't get the picture and the sound to sinc up.

I'm running the audio from my Oppo BDP-83 to my Nad T763 and then to the speakers. The video is going directly to the Vizio via hdmi cable. I realize that the different signal paths could be part of the problem, but since the Nad does not have hdmi capabilities, I have no choice. The Vizio has lip sinc correction, but only five choices: 0 through 4. The 0 setting has the audio slightly ahead of the video, and 1 leaves it slightly behind. 2 through 4 get progressively worse.

Other than buying a new hdmi-capable receiver, does anyone have any suggestions? I'm afraid that the purchase of a new TV has left me tapped out...but the incredible resolution of the Vizio makes the lip-sinc issue almost unwatchable, so I have to try something.

Thoughts?

blackraven
12-12-2013, 05:10 PM
Roy, the cheapest route would be to buy a new BR player with lip sync. Or Return your TV for another brand that has more options for lip sync. BR players are cheap and most have excellent picture quality.

blackraven
12-12-2013, 05:19 PM
Roy, this Sony has AV Sync range of 0-120msec

Sony BDP-S5100 3D Blu-ray player with Wi-FiŽ at Crutchfield.com (http://www.crutchfield.com/p_158BDP5100/Sony-BDP-S5100.html#details-tab)

as does this cheaper model-

Sony BDP-S3100 Blu-ray player with Wi-FiŽ at Crutchfield.com (http://www.crutchfield.com/p_158BDP3100/Sony-BDP-S3100.html#details-tab)

Mr Peabody
12-13-2013, 02:22 PM
What type connection are you using between the Oppo and NAD for audio? I'm thinking if using multichannel analog maybe try the coaxial or optical digital or vice versa. There may not be any difference but it's worth a try comparing all the audio connections before doing anything else that costs money. You might also shoot Oppo an email to see if they have any ideas or deep adjustments that may cure the issue.

One other thought, and it's a theory, if the above don't render a cure, try going into the NAD's speaker set up and adjusting the time delay for the speakers, you'll have to do this uniformly for all of them, set them as if they are further away from you than they really are. Like if they are set at 10 feet try 30. This won't have any adverse effect, it will just make your room sound larger and perhaps get you closer to sync.

RoyY51
12-15-2013, 05:59 PM
First of all, I would like to thank both blackraven and Mr. Peabody for their excellent suggestions. There will be greenies (forum permitting) coming your way! While the prospect of a new Blu-Ray player sounds enticing, I can't imagine that the picture produced by a $99 player could be the equal of my Oppo. Plus, I don't want to lose the ability to use the multichannel analog...it just sounds so much better than coaxial or optical. So, also taking into consideration the depleted condition of my wallet, I decided to try the free stuff first.

Since the remote to my Nad receiver is no longer working (don't ask), I decided to access the speaker setup function on the Oppo. It has the option of setting speaker distances from 0 to 60 feet. After about 2 hours of scrolling through over a hundred different combinations of adjusting the Vizio's 4 presets along with the 60 possibilities presented by the Oppo, I have achieved watchability. It's good...but it's not perfect. I want perfect. I plan on contacting both Oppo and Vizio tomorrow to see if there are any other menu options that I am overlooking...maybe a way to access tech adjustments. In the meantime, all suggestions will be welcome!

blackraven
12-15-2013, 08:02 PM
Thanks Roy. I am surprised that the oppo does not have a sync option. Don't sell the newer cheaper BR players short. Some of them have excellent pictures. Check consumer reports on line or at a local library for reviews. Good luck!

Here are some good reviews of cheaper plalyers-

Panasonic DMP-BDT230 review from the experts at whathifi.com (http://www.whathifi.com/review/panasonic-dmp-bdt230)

Sony BDP-S5100 review from the experts at whathifi.com (http://www.whathifi.com/review/sony-bdp-s5100)

12 best Blu-ray players in the world 2013 | News | TechRadar (http://www.techradar.com/us/news/video/blu-ray/12-best-blu-ray-players-in-the-world-2013-947894)

All these players can be had a huge discount now

RoyY51
12-16-2013, 03:44 PM
Well, am I embarrassed! There IS a lip-sync option on the Oppo...I just didn't search hard enough! Sync is now perfect and all is right with the world. Thanks, again, blackraven and Mr. Peabody...and thanks to the Oppo customer support people. They talked me through it in no time!