Ortofon's new line of affordable MC cartridges [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Ortofon's new line of affordable MC cartridges

JohnMichael
12-12-2013, 03:36 PM
Ortofon has a new line of moving coil cartridges that will be available this January. What is interesting about the Quintet line is they will be the same colors as the 2M series. Like the 2M series Red is the color of the entry level MC and Black the top of the line. The cartridges will be of course Red, Blue, Bronze and Black. I am seriously considering a Blue.

Products - Cartridges - The Quintet series (http://www.ortofon.com/products/cartridges/moving-coil/mc-quintet-series)

frenchmon
12-16-2013, 11:49 AM
Yeah JM...Ortofon seems to do that a lot. The Cadenza Series as well as the
Rondo Series and the Vivo have all or some of those colors as well. I've been wondering about the Rondo Bronze for a while.

JohnMichael
12-17-2013, 07:17 AM
Yeah JM...Ortofon seems to do that a lot. The Cadenza Series as well as the
Rondo Series and the Vivo have all or some of those colors as well. I've been wondering about the Rondo Bronze for a while.

I am curious how a recently designed budget Ortofon would sound. I would think a lot of trickle down technology would be in the cartridge. I have owned plenty of Ortofon induced magnet cartridges but never a moving coil.

hifitommy
12-21-2013, 10:20 AM
as ortofon is about the oldest cartridge manufacturer, it is no surprise that a new budget line would be good sounding. i started my orto journey with an old mc200 that caused my friend to buy a rohmann, mc20II, kontrapunkt b and jubilee. and this was a cheap SOB. he saw the light with the mc 200 and went right out into the daylight.

i would go with orto in a heartbeat were i to become needy of a new cartridge, entry level or above.

JohnMichael
12-21-2013, 01:29 PM
as ortofon is about the oldest cartridge manufacturer, it is no surprise that a new budget line would be good sounding. i started my orto journey with an old mc200 that caused my friend to buy a rohmann, mc20II, kontrapunkt b and jubilee. and this was a cheap SOB. he saw the light with the mc 200 and went right out into the daylight.

i would go with orto in a heartbeat were i to become needy of a new cartridge, entry level or above.

Thanks for the encouragement on Ortofon's. I do not know why I have never tried one of their MC's before. I am back to using the AT F7 and using a washer designed to raise the bearing well a mm up to compensate for the new motor along with the 2 mm spacer has really taken care of VTA. Now the cartridge is better balanced and imaging very solid to the rear of the soundstage. Very dynamic and lively.

hifitommy
12-21-2013, 05:22 PM
I also am a fan of AT. I have an oc9, 170/150ML, AND A 440ML. All take their turns on my MMT. I would go for an orto in a heartbeat.