Streaming surpass disc rental peak [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Streaming surpass disc rental peak

Smokey
12-11-2013, 08:09 PM
Netflix dominate peak Internet traffic periods as its respective subscribers streamed 58% more titles (2.6 million) from January to September this year, than the collective number of movie disc rentals (1.1 million), according to The NPD Group.

Brick-and-mortar rental spending declined 13.2% in the first nine months of the year, to $766.8 million, according to DEG: The Digital Entertainment Group. By-mail disc rental was off 19.8% in the first nine months of the year, to an estimated $780.7 million.

NPD said the peak disc rental period in home entertainment occurred in 2007 with more than 2.5 million transactions — which is less than what Netflix streamed this year in nine months.

NPD: More Streaming Than Disc Renting | Home Media Magazine (http://www.homemediamagazine.com/rental/npd-more-streaming-disc-renting-31959)

Mr Peabody
12-12-2013, 02:20 PM
That's what happens when you close all the B&M rental stores. I believe Blockbuster once the decision was made to close all stores also quit mail service. It's a shame the choice is going, I've gotten bad discs from Redbox, now what, and not every one has good internet connection. Dish charges like $6.99 for a PPV movie, to me that's crazy when I can get the disc, which I prefer, for $2.00 from Redbox. It's also odd to me the pay channels like HBO, Stars, etc. haven't improved their service in light of competition, still too many old movies and repeats to be worth what they want a month.

Smokey
12-13-2013, 09:14 PM
It's also odd to me the pay channels like HBO, Stars, etc. haven't improved their service in light of competition, still too many old movies and repeats to be worth what they want a month.

If you think about, there is really not much to improve. With their multi channel feed that over lap and finite numbers of available movies, old movies and repeats is the only option to fill the space.

Cinemax is probably the best premium movie channel (they have the best variety) and if you look at their programing, every six months they repeat the same movies :)

Sir Terrence the Terrible
12-18-2013, 05:26 PM
I think many of us in the film industry knew the day would come that Netflix would replace the DVD as a rental product. Streaming looks perceptively better than DVD, and it is nothing more than a subscription and a player away.

I love Netflix to death, and I think it is largely because I have access to their superHD and 3D streams.

Mr Peabody
12-18-2013, 07:45 PM
Come on Sir T, you were the die hard disc guy in all the streaming vs. disc arguments on this forum. Let's have some consistency here, even the umpires call them wrong occasionally. And now, you are even embracing Netflix??? But, you probably get their 4k feed as well.

Smokey
12-18-2013, 09:53 PM
Come on Sir T, you were the die hard disc guy in all the streaming vs. disc arguments on this forum. Let's have some consistency here, even the umpires call them wrong occasionally. And now, you are even embracing Netflix???Remember that we are talking about renting. If given a choice of [good quality] streamimg vs renting a disc, I definitely go with streaming since not going to own it. But for streaming vs owning a dics, disc revenues still overwhelm streaming :)

Feanor
12-19-2013, 03:55 AM
Come on Sir T, you were the die hard disc guy in all the streaming vs. disc arguments on this forum. Let's have some consistency here, even the umpires call them wrong occasionally. And now, you are even embracing Netflix??? But, you probably get their 4k feed as well.
I had a similar reaction to Sir T's recent comments.

12-19-2013, 04:42 PM

Let's just add a little context to your blanket statement here. I am not talking about Bluray disc, and I am not talking about purchasing. I am talking about streaming vs RENTING a DVD disc. In that context, I have been nothing but consistent. Only a blind man with no number interpretation skills would miss the fact that streaming in terms of studio revenue has been rising, and DVD rentals have been falling like a rock. I have consistently said that streaming was going to put DVD out of business, and it well on its way. However, streaming is not even close to Bluray in terms of revenue - and that point was driven home in November when Bluray sales were up 119% over last year in November.

Details are everything Mr. Peabody. 4K streams from Netflix won't be available till next year.

12-19-2013, 04:43 PM
Remember that we are talking about renting. If given a choice of [good quality] streamimg vs renting a disc, I definitely go with streaming since not going to own it. But for streaming vs owning a dics, disc revenues still overwhelm streaming :)

Thank you Smokey.