Rhythmik F12 sub [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Rhythmik F12 sub

blackraven
12-08-2013, 06:25 PM
A couple of nights ago I went over to a friends house to listen to his system and I was able to hear his new Rythmik F12 sub. All I can say is wow! The built quality is fantastic and the sound is just as good. It is a servo controlled sub with several adjustable filters and a PEQ. He has the metal driver instead of the paper. He has it paired with a pair of Magnepan 1.7's, NCore monoblocks and a new Van Alstine T-9 tube preamp. His source was and elaborate 3 computer system and a Wyered For Sound DSD DAC. The F12 integrated seamlessly with the 1.7's. Now I did not get to hear it at ear shattering volumes because his room is small and set up for near field listening ( and the 1.7's sounded great in this set up, who knew maggies could sound so good in near field listening). But the sub was smooth and seamless. It was very musical like my Martin Logan but it went deeper and had more depth. He had the sub sitting directly between the speakers.

When I decide to upgrade my sub, it will be a Rhythmik. For just a little over $800 it sounded on par with some of the subs I have heard in the $1500-2,000 range.

Feanor
12-09-2013, 04:50 AM
A couple of nights ago I went over to a friends house to listen to his system and I was able to hear his new Rythmik F12 sub. All I can say is wow! The built quality is fantastic and the sound is just as good. It is a servo controlled sub with several adjustable filters and a PEQ. He has the metal driver instead of the paper. He has it paired with a pair of Magnepan 1.7's, NCore monoblocks and a new Van Alstine T-9 tube preamp. His source was and elaborate 3 computer system and a Wyered For Sound DSD DAC. The F12 integrated seamlessly with the 1.7's. Now I did not get to hear it at ear shattering volumes because his room is small and set up for near field listening ( and the 1.7's sounded great in this set up, who knew maggies could sound so good in near field listening). But the sub was smooth and seamless. It was very musical like my Martin Logan but it went deeper and had more depth. He had the sub sitting directly between the speakers.

When I decide to upgrade my sub, it will be a Rhythmik. For just a little over $800 it sounded on par with some of the subs I have heard in the $1500-2,000 range.

Your friend's has a very interesting and appealing system.

The Rythmik subs are very attractive and not over priced. If I had to replace either of my subs I'd give them very serious consideration.

The Magneplanar MG 1.7's are interesting to me as a 1.6QR owner. I'm sure the 1.7's would be an upgrade from the latter but the question is how much of an upgrade. Right now I feel my 1.6's are exploiting the rest of my system very well.

The Hypex NCore amps are considered by some the highest statement of module class D amps, however review have been mixed. Paired with a nice tube preamp they might be just the ticket, but I'm sticking with my Pass X150.5 for the foreseeable (maybe forever). Did your friend DIY those NCore's?

StevenSurprenant
12-09-2013, 08:56 AM
I've been looking for a used one of those, but they never seem to go on the market. I've heard the ML one too and it's very good.

blackraven
12-09-2013, 09:53 AM
Bill, my friend controls every thing with his smart phone and just about every thing is battery powered. The 1.7's are a step up from the 1.6's. They are more coherent and have better treble. Home much better is hard to say, I would have to hear them in my system.

As far as his NCores are concerned, they are not DIY. I am not impressed with his. He brought them over to my house and they sounded flat. They were not even on par with my Parasound. They sounded better in his system.

3db
12-10-2013, 06:07 AM

I told you so!! :) For terms of bass articulation, my Rythmik LV12-R which is a rear port version of the F12 will stand shoulder to shoulder with any sealed sub you care to throw at it. There servo technology works very well.

harley .guy07
12-10-2013, 02:55 PM
Well it is good that there are ported subs out there that are that good which does not happen very often. The servo technology has a lot to do with it I am sure and I am a little surprised that more companies do not utilize servo systems in their subs. They really got big in the 90's with Velodyne and a few others but seemed to all but go away. I have heard a few servo subs but not the Rythmik. I would like to hear one some day since they seem to be priced very good.

blackraven
12-10-2013, 08:01 PM
Before I bought my ML Dynamo, I was looking for a nice used Martin Logan Grotto-i servo controlled sub. Occasionally I will seen them for about $600 used. Its a great sounding sub. I would also love to have a used Velodyne Digital Drive sub which is also a servo. I like the fact that it has a remote for changing settings.

harley .guy07
12-11-2013, 11:13 AM
When I sold high end audio back in the 90's I sold Velodyne and one of the models we sold was a servo 15" with a remote and it was really good for a 15, It was much tighter and more musical than other 15" subs that mostly are made for theater. But my problem with it for my type of setup was the thing was huge, way too big for me to live with from day to day.

TheHills44060
12-11-2013, 05:37 PM
I bought an Infinity RS10 Servo Subwoofer in 1996. I still have it but haven't used in 10 years. Very quick 10" sub and not bad for the price although I despised the barrier strip speaker terminals! Such a pain.

3db
01-10-2014, 12:00 PM
I bought an Infinity RS10 Servo Subwoofer in 1996. I still have it but haven't used in 10 years. Very quick 10" sub and not bad for the price although I despised the barrier strip speaker terminals! Such a pain.

Why are you no longer using it?