issues with the turntable, looking for solutions. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : issues with the turntable, looking for solutions.

daveymooney12
12-06-2013, 04:02 PM
hey gang,
the name's david and i am seeking the knowers out there. i've had some issues for the past few months with my turntable situation and now that i have some extra cash, i'd like to solve those issues or just plainly buy a new set up.

i'm playing out of a pioneer PL-516 in very good shape and sold to me about four years ago by a very trustworthy fella. from there it's running into my roommate's pioneer digital receiver and out of some nice infinities that I ballpark to be early 80's, late 70's.

for the last few months i've had good play and then all of the sudden, BAM, the tune slips WAY out of tune, so noticeable and harsh that it almost ruins the whole experience. i bought a new belt about 2-3 years ago when it first had this issue and it was solved. But my question is could I need a new belt after only 2-3 years of play? Or is something different, something internal that could persuade me to begin looking again?

also, as of late i've noticed a terrible, continuous low groan that becomes present when i turn the volume up about halfway (which isn't really that loud) and it crescendos and becomes harsher as you turn the volume up, to the point where at 60 or 70 percent of the volume, the only noise I'll hear is the feedback-ish noise. What do y'all think... Is it not grounded properly? Is it a cartridge mix-match? Something internal?

so please, if you have any knowledge on either or both of these issues, please respond, because unfortunately in this day and age, my city has no one is business who can diagnose my turntable and treat it. vinyl's a large part of life for me, so this would be great if i could figure it out.

thanks so much,
hope to hear from you soon!
dave.

hey gang,
the name's david and i am seeking the knowers out there. i've had some issues for the past few months with my turntable situation and now that i have some extra cash, i'd like to solve those issues or just plainly buy a new set up.

i'm playing out of a pioneer PL-516 in very good shape and sold to me about four years ago by a very trustworthy fella. from there it's running into my roommate's pioneer digital receiver and out of some nice infinities that I ballpark to be early 80's, late 70's.

for the last few months i've had good play and then all of the sudden, BAM, the tune slips WAY out of tune, so noticeable and harsh that it almost ruins the whole experience. i bought a new belt about 2-3 years ago when it first had this issue and it was solved. But my question is could I need a new belt after only 2-3 years of play? Or is something different, something internal that could persuade me to begin looking again?

also, as of late i've noticed a terrible, continuous low groan that becomes present when i turn the volume up about halfway (which isn't really that loud) and it crescendos and becomes harsher as you turn the volume up, to the point where at 60 or 70 percent of the volume, the only noise I'll hear is the feedback-ish noise. What do y'all think... Is it not grounded properly? Is it a cartridge mix-match? Something internal?

so please, if you have any knowledge on either or both of these issues, please respond, because unfortunately in this day and age, my city has no one is business who can diagnose my turntable and treat it. vinyl's a large part of life for me, so this would be great if i could figure it out.

thanks so much,
hope to hear from you soon!
dave.

dean_martin
12-06-2013, 05:13 PM
I have no special knowledge when it comes to turntable repairs, but there might be some troubleshooting you can do. The speed problem could be due to a dying motor or you may just need another belt. You can check the belt for signs of stress.

The noise issue could be the motor on its last leg, but I don't know. A speed indicator or strobe might help with both issues. I recently read that there's an rpm app for smart phones but I haven't looked for it yet. It should be cheaper than buying a strobe.

You didn't mention your cartridge. If it was on the table when you got it, the cart may be worn out which might account for the noise.

Also, you don't mention what phono preamp you're using. I'm assuming the pioneer digital receiver has a phono input? If so, there might be something wrong with the input.

Finally, check your leads from tonearm wire to cart and make sure they're secure. That's all I got.

JohnMichael
12-06-2013, 05:41 PM
Yes you probably need a new belt. First though I would use a little alcohol to clean the areas contacted by the belt. The subplatter that supports the platter may need cleaned with the alcohol to remove any grease or oil that may cause belt slipping. I would also check the main bearing that supports the subplatter and platter in case the bearing is running dry.

Some of the distortions you mention sound like acoustic feedback since you are not able to turn the volume up very high. The speakers vibrate the table and maybe the stand it is on. The cartridge and tonearm pick up on those vibrations and then are reproduced again. Of course I also wonder how old the cartridge might be? Like belts the stylus(needle) wears out.

I would add oil to the main bearing, replace the belt and clean the surfaces with which it makes contact. Then I would replace the stylus if it is over 3-4 years old. Last I would try placing the turntable far enough away from the speakers. Let us know what you have tried and what helps.

daveymooney12
01-27-2014, 05:15 PM
dear friends,

thanks for reading and replying...
so far i've been lazy regarding my turntable situation.
but, I have moved the turntable and it now sits upon an old Sharp receiver that was my father's (probably from the early 90's) and I've got a solid state pre-amp uniting the two. and as I am listening currently, I've heard no feedback and so far, no pitch bends... but I also haven't finished the A side...

if bends come back again strongly, I think i'll follow the advice of cleaning everything down, and aligning the belt, and if I have more trouble following I'll seek advice again.

thanks again for all the help.
(you all's collective knowledge really is quite dense and impressive, pride yourselves!)

dave.