Videogames vs Projection TV's [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Videogames vs Projection TV's

seaapple
04-22-2004, 08:59 PM
I've got a Mitsubishi WS65-413 (6months old) and I'm confused on wheather or not its ok to play videogames on it. My kids have got a Playstation 2 that they want to hook up to it and to be honest I think it would be awsome but I'm hesitant to let them. :confused: The manual says not to let parts of the screen stay stagnant or solid for long periods of time but I don't see much diffence with letterbox blocking out or TV station logos sitting in the corner for long periods. I'd appreciate any thought on this so I don't hurt my baby(tv).

04-22-2004, 09:06 PM
From what I remember from playin some PS2 at a buddy's house, the screen was always moving. Which games are you refering to that has a large section with solid non-moving objects?

seaapple
04-22-2004, 09:09 PM
I can't find the manual at the moment but it said something about images staying inplace too long like life meters etc. I agree that most if not all games the screen is constantly changing with some background stuff maybe staying there for a little while. I can't see it hurting if used 1-2 hours a day if that but I want to be sure.

N. Abstentia
04-23-2004, 05:17 AM
As long as you don't pause the game and leave it on the screen for days and days you should be fine.

uncooked
04-23-2004, 04:07 PM
ive got a 61" sony and ive had my ps2 hooked up on it for around 5 - 6 months now and i have had no problems at all. i play alot of vice city with all the health bars and all that top right and nothing has ever happened. i try to keep my gaming down below 1 to 2 hours but i rarely ever play that long. usually 30 mins or so is enough for me. but im sure it would be fine to play longer.

and just to let you know most people suggest to turn the picture darker, but i have had mine normal brightness for about 2 months now and still no problems. its your choice to have the darkness low or high but for me it worked fine.

Swing24h
04-25-2004, 01:24 AM
I agree with the other posters, I have a 43' Toshiba with a Playstation 2 and x-Box hooked up to it for about a year now and have had no problems.
You have to pause the game and leave it for a very long time to burn the image onto the screen. If the picture is always moving it's ok, and sometimes I have played games for up to 6 hours at a time.
Although when your kids start playing games on the big screen they WON'T want to go back to their small screen, trust me.
So it won't do any damage to your screen, but you might not be able to kick the kids of the TV again ... the choice is yours, but really give them a break , it's amazing to play games on a big screen Tv .... and I'm 29 :(

uncooked
04-25-2004, 07:25 AM
i know i had my ps2 hooked up in my room on a old 19 inch tv for about a year and it was good enough for me. then when we got the 61" i bought a s video cable for the ps2 and hooked it up on it and played gran turismo 3 and vice city on it, not to mention the games have 5.1 and vice city is dts. then i hooked it back up on my 19 for awhile becuase to many people were watching movies and tv on the 61. i couldnt even play it on the little one anymore i couldnt tell what car was mine and where my guy was in vice city. and it was perfectly fine before. so once you hook it up on the big screen dont think you'll ever go back to a small one. its impossible.

DamianCarvaLho
05-09-2004, 10:49 PM
My family resently got a digital 36 flat screen. i think it is huge because we never really had a big tv exect for a 20 something inch that my mom eventually took when my mom and dad devorced. just wondering though.. is the picture at all fuzzy? is letters? i would really like to get a projection because i know where i can get a kit that like 120" for 40 bucks. but im hesitant to buy it. im afraid that it will look like crap. so will someone please help me. and abou the video games. my friend had his projection for like 20years and it just now starting to crap out.. nothing burning in images just a rrreeeeaaaallllyyyyyy crapy picture. like one fuzzy dot for a car and another long fuzzy line for the road on gt3.. are all projection tvs like this when they r new?
thx

uncooked
05-10-2004, 02:17 PM
my tv's quality for video games is extremely good. its right up there with dvd quality through component. i run my ps2 with s video. maybe sometime i could take pictures of the screen with vice city or gran turismo 3 and show you. the replay mode in gt3 is better then real races on tv lol.

DamianCarvaLho
05-13-2004, 01:02 PM
is it just some t.v's with a good picture or are all of the good? r the do-it-yourself kits as good as buying it from the store... (because of the 120") i reallllyyyyyy want to get it but i jut wondering if its worth it.. well. is everyone's projection tv this good? or is it just some?

THX

DamianCarvaLho