Haven't seen a post for Waxahatchee either... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Haven't seen a post for Waxahatchee either...

Swish
12-03-2013, 09:38 AM
...and I'm really liking Cerulean Salt. Had to be up there with my faves of the year (King Krule too).

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/HoDhmH66CoI?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This one is especially cool.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/UWPTATCpx2c?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

ForeverAutumn
12-03-2013, 10:59 AM
I couldn't make it to end of either of those. The songs were okay, but I really don't like her voice.

Jim Clark
12-04-2013, 06:57 AM
I have that one, and really enjoyed a few of the songs but overall it fell a bit short of my hopes. My hopes were probably a bit unrealistic as for whatever reason, I had it in my head that it was going to be more similar to Wye Oak. It does have some similarity but I adore Civilian and this wasn't it. Completely insane on my part, but there it is.

Davey
12-04-2013, 09:13 AM
Haven't heard either of those choices yet, but loving the Mutual Benefit Love’s Crushing Diamond. This one came out of nowhere, saw it described as boroque folk music, then saw a few recent reviews apparently triggered by a great Pitchfork review and putting it in their best new music section. Lots to like. Kind of gentle, and very charming, much like that first Bon Iver record For Emma, Forever Ago in some ways, maybe a little Grizzly Bear or Arcade Fire in the mix. Also reminds me a little of that Tracker Polk record from early in the 2000s that I love, but more strings on this one. Both cinematic, and a little hypnotic though. Pretty nice sounding too. I'm listening to the 24-bit download. Fun to read about this type of success story, I guess this is the first bandcamp (http://mutualbenefit.bandcamp.com/album/loves-crushing-diamond) released record that has been named to Pitchfork's best new music list. And now all the reviewers that ignored the earlier emails and other attempts to be heard are jumping on the wagon. The guy from Paste makes no attempt to hide that, in fact he opens the review explaing how he missed this one ...

http://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2013/12/mutual-benefit-loves-crushing-diamond.html

jonnyhambone
12-04-2013, 09:46 PM
Nice to see the mention of this one. I've really enjoyed this album! I loved Wye Oak's Civilian too, like, a lot... but hadn't compared the two in my head. Waxahatchee feels like countrified Throwing Muses or Juned if I'm making a comparison, Wye Oak is way more dream-poppy or 4AD - feeling. Great songs and atmosphere on the Cerulean Salt lp