Is Today the "Golden Age" of Television? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Is Today the "Golden Age" of Television?

Worf101
11-27-2013, 07:36 AM
If you say the phrase "The Golden Age" of television I believe most critics would say the from the mid-50's to the late 60's was T.V.'s "belle epoch" You had Lucy, Jack Parr, "Show of Shows" and a million other iconic programs from that era. Many of those shows are considered landmarks because they were the first of their kind. While many might say this was T.V.'s golden age I disagree. Most of America only had 3 networks at best and the airwaves was filed with 'me too" Westerns and Sitcoms. Other than the few shining lights much of it was absolutely forgettable AND it was almost completely "white" in content. Cable and pay for play may not be "perfect" but it has certainly broadened the viewing horizon's of the nation AND the world. "The Wire", "Breaking Bad", "The Soprano's", "6 Feet Under" and even the failures like "Enlightenment" are far superior entertainment to the vast majority of drivel given us in the 50's and 60's. I contend that TODAY IS the "Golden Age" of ADULT television. Your thoughts?
Worf

Majagit
12-02-2013, 02:36 AM
If by golden age you mean many networks spread through globe with lots of channel and quality program then i agree with you that now is that golden age for television.