Coda [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Coda

Mr Peabody
11-24-2013, 03:02 PM
I may have heard of CODA before but they definitely were not on my radar. I heard a CODA system yesterday driving Legacy Focus, and, he was using a Lampizator DAC. I was surprised to learn the CODA guys were also with Threshold, and, if you look at the CODA website you will notice the CODA are actually more like Threshold than current Pass. Although my impression is that CODA is more to the neutral where Pass is more into immulating a more tube like sound. The CODA is still no feedback which gives it a full type of bass, more bloom. The Legacy Focus has like two 12's per cabinet, not sure if it was the amp/speaker combo, one independent component but the system had more bloom to the bottom end than I personally like. The Focus uses a ribbon tweeter but the sound was very smooth. The Lampizator DAC is beginning to get attention for it's high performance, the designer Mr. Lukasz is quite a character, if you read his older website he used as sort of a journal or blog you'll see what I mean. Any way the point of the thread was to bring attention to CODA as we have quite a Pass club forming hear :). I was told CODA sells direct but the website I saw didn't give pricing. Here's a review of a couple pieces that gives some good product info: coda (http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue13/coda.htm) There is a link to CODA from the review

harley .guy07
11-24-2013, 06:03 PM
I have heard of Coda over the years as they were really big in the 90's and it seems like a lot of the Legacy speaker guys use them and I believe they were sold through the Legacy catalogs back in the 90's when Legacy sold direct through catalog's instead of the internet like they do now. I did not realize that they had a connection with Threshold though. I have followed legacy for years since I thought their stuff was kind of cool in the 90's. I still think their speakers are interesting but a little old tech with the exception of their ribbon tweeters, and priced rather well for their size and output but a little too large for my personal tastes. How did they sound overall? I know you said that the tweeters were smooth and the bass was too bloomed out but how was it otherwise, I have always wondered as I have not been able to find an owner in my area to hear them.

E-Stat
11-24-2013, 06:50 PM
I was surprised to learn the CODA guys were also with Threshold, and, if you look at the CODA website you will notice the CODA are actually more like Threshold than current Pass
Sure. Eric Lauchli used to work for Threshold back in the 80s. Their designs haven't advanced much past that era. They were also the OEM for all the Innersound/Sanders amplifiers as well.

Mr Peabody
11-24-2013, 07:22 PM
The Legacy were biamped using two CODA, they were 450x2 into 8 ohms yet smaller in size than my X250 and ran cooler. It's difficult to say for sure since two totally different systems but from what I heard I prefer the Pass.

I need to check out Legacy's website, the guy said the Focus was about 98dB efficient. They did sound good but if I were spending $12k I'd prefer the Dynaudio C2 or find a deal on Revel Studio 2. The Focus looks great, has a nice natural sound to the mids & highs, ideal for those who like a blooming full bass sound.

True, that Legacy and CODA seem to have some type of affiliation. E-stat do you know if CODA sells direct or through dealers?

E-Stat
11-24-2013, 08:04 PM
E-stat do you know if CODA sells direct or through dealers?
Well, according to their website (http://coda-continuum.com/contact/index.php), they sell directly in the states.

harley .guy07
11-24-2013, 08:20 PM
I am not sure about this but I believe that Coda had a deal with legacy in the 90's and were also the oem manufacturer of Legacy amplifiers that Legacy sold direct through their catalogs and later through their website. I have been to their website and they do not market amplifiers any more. Back in the 90's when they sold amps they sold several brands from Hafler, soundcraftman, and their own Legacy amps which they seem to push harder than any other brand and that's when I remember talking to someone that actually went to their store and was told by the salesman there that the Legacy amps were actually Coda amps built to run the Legacy speakers.

Mr Peabody
11-25-2013, 10:12 AM
According to this TAS review the bass bloom may be caused by room or other gear in the chain: Legacy Focus SE Loudspeaker (TAS 215) | The Absolute Sound (http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/legacy-focus-se-loudspeaker-tas-215/)

Now the owner said the Focus SE was like $12k but at the price shown in the TAS review they are a real contender.

frenchmon
11-26-2013, 08:44 AM
Actually Peabody...the CODA amps sound unlike any MOSFET amp I have ever heard. It had a totally different sound from any Pass amp I have ever heard as well. The amp was extremely neutral. It had lots of snap and pop...power in reserve for peeks coming out of a valley. I really like the amp. Peabody those where the CODA CX amps he used . They where in bridge mode at 400 wpc. The Legacy Focus SE where very neutral to my ear and had the best ribbon tweeter I had ever heard. But the bottom end was not as tight as should have been....like Peabody said....to much bloom. I can't see the room as the problem...it was a dedicated room with sound enhancements on the wall and ceiling. I asked the guy how long had he been working on the room and he said ten years. The room was 100% sound proofed. You can't hear anything outside that room.

Peabody, I was reading his blog and the guy before his gear he has now, had Pass Labs, Levinson, Revels and a host of other stuff. He has spent thousands and thousands of loot on gear. He is a school teacher. He has no wife or kids that I could notice, and the cool,part...he lives less than 5 minutes away from me. Those speakers are like 98db....I may take my amp over to plug into his system some time.

Also Peabody...those Legacy Focus SE we heard are on loan...he is having his new speakers built by Legacy..the Helix model that retails for like $45k. When we first got there, and started listening, the guy had two of the Legacy subs playing as well...the Xtreme XD. He really doesn't need them in that system.

I like his system....I think some one said it looks kinda dated....I didn't get that impression...the amps as well as the speakers looked very modern...

Harley, you where spot on about the information you gave about Legacy and CODA....both had a bad past and almost lost their business...and both companies used each other to voice their product...that's why they are mostly paired together.