Cleaning speakers [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning speakers

Marc65
11-24-2013, 06:34 AM
Good morning all,
New to the site. Just pulled out my old Bose 605 speakers ( I know not that great) and wanted to clean them up? What should I use on the speakers?
and are they worth much?

Thanks!

thekid
11-24-2013, 06:50 AM
Good morning all,
New to the site. Just pulled out my old Bose 605 speakers ( I know not that great) and wanted to clean them up? What should I use on the speakers?
and are they worth much?

Thanks!

Can't recall if the 601's have a real wood case or if they are just a veneer. If they are real wood then I recommend a product called Howard's Restor-A-Finish and 0000 steel wool. A good wipe down with this product has saved me from having to restain dozens of speakers. If it is a vinyl veneer that a damp cloth will be sufficient. If it is a wood venner and in good shap regular furniture polish should work well.

Welcome to AR!

Marc65
11-24-2013, 07:21 AM
Thanks Kid!
What about the tweeters and midrange and woofer???
Just don't want to damage.

JohnMichael
11-24-2013, 08:12 AM
You listed your speakers as Bose 605's but like thekid I assume you meant 601's. The speaker has two 8 inch woofers and 4 3 inch speaker per enclosure. The drivers are all paper cones so I would not use any liquid to clean. I would suggest dusting them with something soft like a clean Swiffer Duster. I would not spray any dusting product on the Swiffer.

The first 2 series of 601's did use a real wood veneer. If the finish is even without stains or bleached areas I would very lightly wipe the veneer with a lemon oil product for furniture.