Oranges Are Not The Only Fruit [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Oranges Are Not The Only Fruit

dean_martin
11-20-2013, 12:01 PM
Saving the old tv, vcr and boxes of vhs tapes from rising water has sent me on a film binge. I couldn't find Bergman's "Wild Strawberries". It must be in a box that it shouldn't be in, or, my poor memory tricked me into believing I have it.

Do I have another movie with fruit in the title? In an old box of wonders, I did find a copy of Oranges Are Not The Only Fruit, a BBC made-for-tv mini-series from 1989. A young girl, Jess, is "adopted" by a religious fanatic, raised in church and groomed to be a missionary. (We learn more about the "adoption".) The whole life of the adoptive mother revolves around her church, church friends and pastor. The father is there but he's in the background, doesn't say much (but he's a "deep thinker") and works nights, or that's what we're told. Young Jess is thoroughly indoctrinated which comes through when she's required to go to school.

As a teenager, Jess meets Melanie as she's handing out fliers and spreading the good news with her mother. Jess brings Melanie into the fold, however, they develop romantic feelings for each other. To Jess, it feels natural. They're attraction for one another becomes obvious to the church pastor and members. The pastor leads the effort to release the demons from Jess which involves binding, gagging and of course 3 days of prayer and concentrating on Jesus.

This film had me laughing as young Jess tries to assimilate when the gov't mandates that she should be in school. It had me frustrated and angry with the church. Through it all, Jess carries herself with dignity and breaks away in the end. The relationships she established with members and former members of her church confirmed that there are good, free-thinking people in the least-likely places.

This is a film adaptation of a novel of the same name from the mid 80s by Jeanette Winterson. It might be worth a read.

If you've ever seen and liked Celluloid Closet or early gay-themed films, you should find Oranges to your liking. Charlotte Coleman does an excellent job with the main character Jess. The pastor is an excellent example of a fire and brimstone preacher who believes he and his flock are on the right end-of-days path. The mother and her old church-lady friends are on the mark. Although this takes place in North West England, it could easily take place in a hard-line, deep south red state.

ForeverAutumn
11-20-2013, 12:28 PM
That sounds like a really interesting series. I'd be interested in seeing that.

On another topic....rising water? You okay Deano?

dean_martin
11-20-2013, 01:05 PM
That sounds like a really interesting series. I'd be interested in seeing that.

On another topic....rising water? You okay Deano?
Thanks, FA. I'm fine. A pipe burst and we didn't discover it til several hours later. By that time, water was standing in 3 rooms and creeping toward the rest of the house. We had at least a dozen blowers on the wet side of the house over the weekend. Everything is dry now and we're working with the insurance company and its recommended contractor on replacing floors.

ForeverAutumn
11-20-2013, 01:27 PM
I'm sorry to hear that. But glad to hear that it's nothing worse. I was afraid that you might have been in tornado territory over the weekend. Still, I'm sure it sucks. I hope that nothing irreplacable was lost.

Imran520
11-20-2013, 11:28 PM
It is a nice series of Oranges.