Rockin' the Roku! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Rockin' the Roku!

Worf101
11-14-2013, 11:19 AM
As some of you may know I recently updated my AVR from the venerable Onkyo 905 to the 5010, but while it offers me a lot of new features (and some old ones) what I was really interested in getting was some over the net streaming capabilities and I was sorely disappointed that the 5010 only offers music streaming. So after doing my usual amount of research I bought a Roku 3 streamer off the bay for $88.00 delivered.

It took less than 5 minutes to hook-up physically but all the hoops you have to jump through while using the remote to register the device made the entire process almost an hour long. Once I finally remembered the password to my home wifi things went a lot smoother. Nice menus, easy to navigate... lots of bait and switch "free" streaming sites. Free for 30 days and if you don't cancel they automatically charge you CC which they require you to put in! That was the only nasty part.

I routed the Roku directly to my receiver through the Set top DVR HDMI slot so she runs fine without the extra step of having to return sound from the TV to the AVR. And the sound is DD marvelous while the picture is stunning... I'm really satisfied.

Worf

3db
12-04-2013, 09:53 AM
I have both a Western Digital TV Live SMP which is setup in my home theater and a ROKU3 to be setup tonight (hopefully) on the bedroom TV. My wife likes her TV shows so I went with the ROKU to get HULU. I bought the WD because its far better than ROKU for streaming music and flicks from one's networked computer. I don't need as many apps as I prefer to watch my Bluray/DVD collection or listen to music.

JoeE SP9
12-04-2013, 01:39 PM
I've been using a Roku since January. There are enough program and channel choices that I don't miss cable or satellite. It was IMO worth every penny.

I haven't tried using it to stream music as I have a dedicated music server.

Worf101
12-05-2013, 06:03 AM
I use the Roku strictly for Netflix and Amazon Prime. My AV receiver, Onkyo 5010 streams music via DNLA quite well from my desktop.

Worf

bfalls
12-05-2013, 09:19 AM
Didn't the ROKU have a limitation of 720p before. Does the new version display 1080p?

TheHills44060
12-05-2013, 09:29 AM
I have both a Western Digital TV Live SMP which is setup in my home theater and a ROKU3 to be setup tonight (hopefully) on the bedroom TV. My wife likes her TV shows so I went with the ROKU to get HULU. I bought the WD because its far better than ROKU for streaming music and flicks from one's networked computer. I don't need as many apps as I prefer to watch my Bluray/DVD collection or listen to music.
I have the Western Digital Hub and am really satisfied but I haven't tired the HULU app on it yet. I like how easy it is to incorporate it into the network as you pointed out. The only apps missing from the Hub or SMP I wouldn't mind having is HBOGO and the Amazon thingie. I've never used a ROKU before.

Didn't the ROKU have a limitation of 720p before. Does the new version display 1080p?
Think i remember seeing that the 3 is the HD version. Not sure on that though.

JoeE SP9
12-05-2013, 03:24 PM

It depends on which Roku model you purchase. In addition you should take into account the speed of your internet connection. Some connections are not fast enough to support 1080P. The Roku I have does 720P. I have no problem with the picture quality on a 50" LCD.

Worf101
12-05-2013, 10:09 PM
The Roku 3 does 1080. Streamed movies in HD look great. Older TV shows like STDS9 don't look so hot.

Worf

JoeE SP9
12-06-2013, 06:28 PM
Think i remember seeing that the 3 is the HD version. Not sure on that though.

Both 720P/I and 1080P/I are considered HD. Very few if any broadcasts are 1080P. The highest most of them go is 1080I. Blu-Ray is 1080P and many Blu-Ray players automatically up sample DVDs to 1080P. Regular TV over an HD set shows up as 480I

The Roku LT does 720P.
The Roku 1, 2 and 3 do 1080P.

If your internet connection isn't fast enough 720P may be the best you can expect.