Pass Labs Purchase [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Pass Labs Purchase

Jack in Wilmington
11-13-2013, 06:17 PM
Talked to Mark at Reno HiFi today and he has a demo X150.5 that is just coming back to his place. We have come to an agreement on price and it will be shipped out next Monday or Tuesday. Merry Christmas to me.

Feanor
11-13-2013, 07:10 PM
Talked to Mark at Reno HiFi today and he has a demo X150.5 that is just coming back to his place. We have come to an agreement on price and it will be shipped out next Monday or Tuesday. Merry Christmas to me.
Congrats; you'll love it.

But this is getting crazy!

blackraven
11-13-2013, 08:57 PM
Congrats and Welcome to the club, you won't be disappointed. Now we need to start a Pass labs forum.

Jack, what will you be using for a preamp?

Jack in Wilmington
11-14-2013, 03:42 AM
Congrats and Welcome to the club, you won't be disappointed. Now we need to start a Pass labs forum.

Jack, what will you be using for a preamp?

For the time being, I'll use my Anthem 225. A friend of mine has a Parasound P3 preamp that he isn't using, do you think that would be a decent pre to start with. I'd like to try out a Pass Labs X1 or an Audio Research LS17 when the funds become available. Mark and I were discussing cables and I told him that on the amp end of my speakers wires I have locking bananas and he said that Pass Labs puts stoppers in those holes as bananas are no longer UL approved as a connection. He said they easily pop out so you can use them. What do you use at the amp end of your speaker wires?

Hyfi
11-14-2013, 04:02 AM
Congrats Jack. This is all intriguing so I really need to shlep down to Wilmington soon to hear what the craze is all about.

Jack in Wilmington
11-14-2013, 04:55 AM
Congrats Jack. This is all intriguing so I really need to shlep down to Wilmington soon to hear what the craze is all about.

The welcome mat is always out. It has been crazy around here lately. First I got a new SACD player, then a Shunyata Research HDMI cable to connect it. Then a set of Acoustic Zen XLR cables to connect my DAC to my integrated amp and now the X150.5.

Feanor
11-14-2013, 05:03 AM
For the time being, I'll use my Anthem 225. A friend of mine has a Parasound P3 preamp that he isn't using, do you think that would be a decent pre to start with. I'd like to try out a Pass Labs X1 or an Audio Research LS17 when the funds become available. Mark and I were discussing cables and I told him that on the amp end of my speakers wires I have locking bananas and he said that Pass Labs puts stoppers in those holes as bananas are no longer UL approved as a connection. He said they easily pop out so you can use them. What do you use at the amp end of your speaker wires?
Since you as, Jack, I'm using Blue Jeans Cable's balanced cable utilizing Belden 1800F wire and Neutrix XLR connectors to connect my Audio Research LS9 to my X150.5. Check those cables out HERE (http://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/balancedaudio/index.htm).

The seem to work very well indeed but I haven't tired other makes.

Hyfi
11-14-2013, 05:17 AM
Cool, same here so we have to make a plan, maybe around or just after the holidays. My wife and I are looking forward to checking all the toys out.

Jack in Wilmington
11-14-2013, 05:31 AM
Cool, same here so we have to make a plan, maybe around or just after the holidays. My wife and I are looking forward to checking all the toys out.

For a while I thought I might be coming up your way as there is a Pass Labs distributor in Southampton if my memory serves me right. Other than a weekend volleyball tournament, in Hershey, the first weekend, we are free in Dec. Bathroom renovation starts the Monday after Thanksgiving, but that doesn't affect me, just our contractor.

Jack in Wilmington
11-14-2013, 05:33 AM
Since you as, Jack, I'm using Blue Jeans Cable's balanced cable utilizing Belden 1800F wire and Neutrix XLR connectors to connect my Audio Research LS9 to my X150.5. Check those cables out HERE (http://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/balancedaudio/index.htm).

The seem to work very well indeed but I haven't tired other makes.

Thanks, I'll check them out. Is there a ARC preamp between the LS9 and the LS17?

Hyfi
11-14-2013, 05:40 AM
Looks like you are talking about Ultra Systems, but google can't seem to locate them or a good website.

EDIT: I just realized they are the same as The Cable Company and they are in New Hope. I was there when they first opened in the 90s.

<center class="style1"> Ultra Systems
127 Union Square
New Hope, PA 18938
215-862-6570 • 800-724-3305
Fax: 215-862-4871
Website: Welcome to the Ultra Systems Home Page (http://www.ultrasystem.com) • Email: ultra@ultrasystem.com
</center>

blackraven
11-14-2013, 08:15 AM
Jack I use bare wire as the X250 has no provisions for banana's, only bare wire and spades. Currently I am using BJC 10g Belden wire with Banana's at the speaker end and bare wire on the amp side. I was using Monster Z4 with the Parasound but it has double ended banana's. I need to get the spade adaptors as I like the Z4 cable. They sound good and they are as thick as a garden hose.

The P3 preamp is ok, it has had mixed reviews. See how it sounds compared to the anthem.

Today I missed out on a pristine used X1 preamp with the full double chassis. I was vasilating back and forth if I should buy it the last 2 days and it sold. I was going to pull the trigger today.

Feanor
11-14-2013, 09:38 AM
Thanks, I'll check them out. Is there a ARC preamp between the LS9 and the LS17?
There a few ARC linestatges that can be considered between the LS9 and LS17, plus some phono equipped models as well.

But for linestagess, the LS10 and 12 are solid state and the LS15 and 16 are tube or tube hybrid. All have balanced output.

A great place to explore vintage and newer ARC models is the Audio Research Database, ARCDB.ws (http://www.arcdb.ws/index.html).

Jack in Wilmington
11-14-2013, 01:44 PM
Jack I use bare wire as the X250 has no provisions for banana's, only bare wire and spades. Currently I am using BJC 10g Belden wire with Banana's at the speaker end and bare wire on the amp side. I was using Monster Z4 with the Parasound but it has double ended banana's. I need to get the spade adaptors as I like the Z4 cable. They sound good and they are as thick as a garden hose.

The P3 preamp is ok, it has had mixed reviews. See how it sounds compared to the anthem.

Today I missed out on a pristine used X1 preamp with the full double chassis. I was vasilating back and forth if I should buy it the last 2 days and it sold. I was going to pull the trigger today.

I saw that X1 and was wondering if you might jump on it. There is another one, but it probably isn't the double chassis.

blackraven
11-14-2013, 05:05 PM
That was the X1 I was looking at. I may buy the other one. There is also a JC2 preamp for $2700 that I may inquire about. I think that the JC2 is a better preamp from every thing that I have read. I will call Reno HiFi and see what they say about it since they also deal with Parasound gear.

Mr Peabody
11-14-2013, 05:31 PM
When looking at the ARC be sure the description mentions balanced circuits, most ARC preamps offer XLR connections but not all are balanced. Feanor's is balanced.

Do the 150.5 have the knobs on the back for the speaker terminals same as X250? Levinson has the same type.

The Pass gear is really good, especially in transparency, resolution and detail, BJC cables are great even beyond their cost but to get full benefit from the Pass you need better cables, including a nice power cable. If you can't swing Clarus, then I recommend the Triode, I heard one and it's similar to the Clarus Crimson in character but not as good, but we were comparing a smaller gauge Triode so not exactly fair.

blackraven
11-14-2013, 06:15 PM
I just placed a bid on the other Pass preamp. He has a bid on it but I bumped it up. If I lose out I may bid on the Parasound JC2 but it is a little more than I want to spend at $2700. I will see if he will take $2500. If not, there will be other X1's available at some point and maybe even a better BAT.

blackraven
11-14-2013, 06:21 PM
It looks like he accepted the bid. Any one want to buy a Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid tube preamp just a few years old and recently checked over by Frank Van Alstine himself. With the remote, current upgrades and home theater by pass switch it cost $2100. I will let it go for $1100 pending my approval of the X1.

Feanor
11-14-2013, 08:22 PM
When looking at the ARC be sure the description mentions balanced circuits, most ARC preamps offer XLR connections but not all are balanced. Feanor's is balanced.

Do the 150.5 have the knobs on the back for the speaker terminals same as X250? Levinson has the same type.

The Pass gear is really good, especially in transparency, resolution and detail, BJC cables are great even beyond their cost but to get full benefit from the Pass you need better cables, including a nice power cable. If you can't swing Clarus, then I recommend the Triode, I heard one and it's similar to the Clarus Crimson in character but not as good, but we were comparing a smaller gauge Triode so not exactly fair.
The X150.5 has standard 5-way posts. I'm using banana plugs on Nordost Flat Line Gold cables that I've had for a few years. For a power cable I'm using an old, lower-end PS Audio shielded cable, 12 gauge I think.

The X150.5 has remarkable transparency and ability to create almost tangible, (palpable), images of individual instruments & voices. The other remarkable characteristic is its dynamics, ("PRaT"); all percussion instruments including piano sound shockingly present and real (at least compared to other amps I've owned). Bass is very controlled and precise but not overly lean.

Highs seem extended, not rolled off or overly smooth. As for the mid-range, some people like "liquid" but that isn't the right word for the Pass' midrange: it is focused -- sharp with good contrast to use a camera lens analogy. Neither the highs nor the mid-range are exactly warm, but they are free of nasties.

I'm not really experienced with cables. The low and low-medium i/c's I've tried has not sounded significantly different from each other. I might be willing to kick it up to mid-price but I not inclined to part with a lot of cash experimenting. (At an MSRP of $1600 per pair, balanced Claus Crimson aren't going to happen for me.)

blackraven
11-14-2013, 09:52 PM
Bill, I will probably buy a pair of the Silnote Morpheus Reference II XLR's and I will let you know how they sound. I need a pair since I just bought the X1

Feanor
11-15-2013, 05:39 AM
Bill, I will probably buy a pair of the Silnote Morpheus Reference II XLR's and I will let you know how they sound. I need a pair since I just bought the X1
It will be interesting to hear your impressions, Larry, but those Silnote are well beyond my budget.

I'd looking for $200 I/Cs that might make a significant difference. E.g. I was asking the maker about Soundsilver Purity-XLR which would set me back $150 including shipping for a 1.5 meter pair, HERE (http://app.audiogon.com/listings/interconnects-soundsilver-purity-xlr-pure-silver-pure-music-1-meter-incl-shipping-usa-2013-11-03-cables-11795-west-islip-ny). They are solid silver with teflon insulation.

Huh? I see that Silnote Morpheus Reference II XLR's can be had for a good deal less that the MSRP, at least used. That's encouraging but the whole issue of cable pricing in general is really quite discouraging -- MSRPs seem grossly inflated in may cases.

frenchmon
11-15-2013, 07:05 AM
Jack...congrats on your new Pass Labs amp!

Raven...man no tubes in the chain???? Man you gotta have some tubes in there some Place!?!?!? I would go crazy without tubes! Just bought some NOS Valvo ECC91's for the AMP. I've been using some KOBE TEN tubes in both amp and preamp...along with Telefunkens in the pre.

Mr Peabody
11-15-2013, 09:17 AM
Blackraven, I too, will be anxious to see your impressions of the X1.

Feanor I forgot you were using the PSA and Nordust. Will the silver XLR have a return policy? From what I understand the purity and gauge of the silver can make a big difference.

blackraven
11-15-2013, 09:36 AM
Frenchmon, I still have tubes in my DAC. I really wanted a nice BAT, tubed CJ or Atma Sphere MP3 preamp but the models that I want are a little over my budget. From every thing that I have read the X1 is very tube like. If I don't like it I will be able to sell it for what I paid for it. There is a guy on the Audiocircles forum that has an X1 with Van Alstine gear that I have been talking with and that are his impressions. Last night I called the seller of my X1 and talked with him about 30 minutes. He feels the same way about the X1. He bought an ARC LS26 (which was on my short list too) and he states the 2 preamps sound very similar.

harley .guy07
11-15-2013, 10:15 AM
Wow Raven like Mr P you are going all in with a preamp as well. I have a little more time left in school and that is why I have to pick and choose when I upgrade gear and I can only do one major upgrade or so a year so it does not bust my budget and also I have to answer to the boss(Wife) since we are on on income with me using my rental house and school money saved to supplement so one major or a few minor upgrades a year is all I can do right now. But speakers and preamp are on my lists as soon as the funds are available but really right now I am rather happy with the Nuforce as it to does have a lot of tube qualities to it without the drawbacks of tubes in the low end and highs. I you read the reviews of the P8 they all say that it has a very "tube like" midrange. I have really looked at the X1 though as I have seen several for sale in the last 6 months. Most likely by the time i decide to upgrade(and have the funds to do so) the X10 will probably be the one to look at since it will probably be in my price class used.

Mr Peabody
11-15-2013, 02:24 PM
If the X1 is like the XP10 the unit will need at least 24 hours of being plugged in to settle into the way it's supposed to sound. One draw back to the pass preamp you can't just unplug them and do direct comparisons to other preamps. If unplugged you are back to the beginning of that warm up period again.

Just curious if I am the only Pass owner who notices any change in sound once the power amp warms up a bit. Try playing an album and once it's over go back to the first track to see if you notice any difference. I hear the sound stage open up more and a bit more warmth.

The Pass has a lot of resolution and transparency, in addition to excellent micro/macro dynamics which puts it ahead of a lot of solid state but that euphoric feel of tubes isn't going to be there. It's hard to describe the difference but I am satisfied with the Pass presentation, it puts me some where between my CJ and Krell systems, I'd think of it as a sweet spot :)

blackraven
11-15-2013, 06:42 PM
I hope the X1 brings the tremendous improvement in sound as the X250 did. It was mailed out today. If it does, I can't really see buying any other gear except for an upgrade in my DAC or a used high end SACD player.

Here is a nice review on the X1-

http://www.masteringmansion.com/common/reviews_d/reviewd_247.pdf

Feanor
11-15-2013, 07:48 PM
If the X1 is like the XP10 the unit will need at least 24 hours of being plugged in to settle into the way it's supposed to sound. One draw back to the pass preamp you can't just unplug them and do direct comparisons to other preamps. If unplugged you are back to the beginning of that warm up period again.

Just curious if I am the only Pass owner who notices any change in sound once the power amp warms up a bit. Try playing an album and once it's over go back to the first track to see if you notice any difference. I hear the sound stage open up more and a bit more warmth.

The Pass has a lot of resolution and transparency, in addition to excellent micro/macro dynamics which puts it ahead of a lot of solid state but that euphoric feel of tubes isn't going to be there. It's hard to describe the difference but I am satisfied with the Pass presentation, it puts me some where between my CJ and Krell systems, I'd think of it as a sweet spot :)
No, you aren't the only one who notices a warm up period with the Pass. My X150.5 takes 30-40 minutes to reach maximum airiness and sweetness. According to the manual, best performance takes an hour of warm up and I won't argue with that. I think most s/s amps take some time to warm up; even my Class D Audio SDS258 took about 10 minutes or so; my Monarchy SM-70 Pro's about 20 minutes.

I think we are agreed on the sound characteristics of the Pass Lab amps, (though I've only heard the X150.5). Versus the range of mostly modest amps I've owned, the Pass provides a higher level of realism both in transparency and dynamics. At the same time it doesn't try to "improve" the sound or compensate for less than excellent recordings.

frenchmon
11-16-2013, 04:54 AM
Frenchmon, I still have tubes in my DAC. I really wanted a nice BAT, tubed CJ or Atma Sphere MP3 preamp but the models that I want are a little over my budget. From every thing that I have read the X1 is very tube like. If I don't like it I will be able to sell it for what I paid for it. There is a guy on the Audiocircles forum that has an X1 with Van Alstine gear that I have been talking with and that are his impressions. Last night I called the seller of my X1 and talked with him about 30 minutes. He feels the same way about the X1. He bought an ARC LS26 (which was on my short list too) and he states the 2 preamps sound very similar.

Well in all actuality, truth be told, in my opinion.... IF you got the X1 that possibly is the best thing for you because you would have an all Pass Labs unit. It would be designed by the same person and you would then get your music as Pass Labs designed it thus that synergy that you would not get with another brand. Peabody has a certain synergy due to an all Pass amp/preamp.

frenchmon
11-16-2013, 05:47 AM

Peabody.....Its nothing new for SS to sound its best after being warmed up. Even my Rotel amp sounded best after playing about 40 minutes.

Those CJ Power amps you had.....man those where the stuff. Those babies had some drive like I've never heard before or even till now....too bad you don't still have those...those where one of a kind. I mean, no body has mono blocks like that.

frenchmon
11-16-2013, 05:50 AM
I hope the X1 brings the tremendous improvement in sound as the X250 did. It was mailed out today. If it does, I can't really see buying any other gear except for an upgrade in my DAC or a used high end SACD player.

Here is a nice review on the X1-

http://www.masteringmansion.com/common/reviews_d/reviewd_247.pdf

I think you are going to be surprised at what you hear! That synergy thing working together! Thats a very nice two box preamp!

Jack in Wilmington
11-16-2013, 03:33 PM
Well in all actuality, truth be told, in my opinion.... IF you got the X1 that possibly is the best thing for you because you would have an all Pass Labs unit. It would be designed by the same person and you would then get your music as Pass Labs designed it thus that synergy that you would not get with another brand. Peabody has a certain synergy due to an all Pass amp/preamp.

Are you sure that the Amp and Preamp are designed by the same person? I don't think I ever heard that. I could see two design teams working together or something like that.

Jack in Wilmington
11-16-2013, 03:36 PM
Peabody.....Its nothing new for SS to sound its best after being warmed up. Even my Rotel amp sounded best after playing about 40 minutes.

Those CJ Power amps you had.....man those where the stuff. Those babies had some drive like I've never heard before or even till now....too bad you don't still have those...those where one of a kind. I mean, no body has mono blocks like that.

Why did Mr. P get rid of his CJ gear? He was doing a lot of changing of gear and I can't remember what made him change.

frenchmon
11-16-2013, 03:52 PM
Are you sure that the Amp and Preamp are designed by the same person? I don't think I ever heard that. I could see two design teams working together or something like that.

I assumed Nelson Pass or who ever, Had a hugh part in the designs of every amp/preamp with his name on the front....unlike Levinson amps, that really has nothing to do with Mark Levinson any more. But Pass....I think they have their own gear in mind when they design different components....the same with all audio companies I assume.

frenchmon
11-16-2013, 03:54 PM
Why did Mr. P get rid of his CJ gear? He was doing a lot of changing of gear and I can't remember what made him change.

I really can't speak for Peabody, but I think he wanted a more neutral open sound.

How long before your new amp?

blackraven
11-16-2013, 04:23 PM

Jack, you are right. Nelson Pass did not design the X1. I believe it was the Vice President of the company and head of engineering that did. It still uses Super Symmetry design and Class A power as the X250. I should have the X1 Friday afternoon. I have been buying a lot of reference CD's and Hybrid SACD's in anticipation of the X1.

I already have 2 guys interested in buying my Van Alstine pre.

Mr Peabody
11-16-2013, 04:44 PM
The real reason for the power amp switch was buying the F52's, I noticed from hearing my friend's Revels that although the CJ amps were good the F52's liked some current. It was one of those things where you change a component and end up with a ripple effect through the system. After deciding to switch it was an expensive and some what frustrating time to finally get back to a point of satisfaction.

Whether all components are designed by one man or by teams if they are working on one brand it would seem logical to make the same brand components work best with one another and have good synergy. I looked at some reviews and such but didn't find any mention of actual designer. Here's a review just for fun.
Pass Labs XP-10 Stereo Preamplifier - Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity (http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/preamplifiers/preamplifiers-reviews/pass-labs-xp-10-stereo-preamplifier/all-pages.html)

Feanor
11-16-2013, 04:57 PM

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere, my be even on the Pass Labs website, Nelson Pass saying that he had not designed their preamps; he named a designer whose name I don't recall.

In any case I've no doubt that the preamps are up to standard defined by Pass himself.

Jack in Wilmington
11-16-2013, 05:28 PM
I really can't speak for Peabody, but I think he wanted a more neutral open sound.

How long before your new amp?

Maybe the CJ was a little too warm and syrupy with the Revels. I just can't remember for sure. He had gone from the Dynaudio, to the Zu's and then the Revel's if I remember right.

Mark at Reno HiFi emailed me today and said the X150.5 is back from the demo. It is packed up and sitting on the loading dock waiting for the UPS truck to pick it up on Monday. Then I'll have to wait for the email from UPS with the scheduled delivery date.
I'll have to track this shipment as it requires a signature.

Jack in Wilmington
11-16-2013, 05:32 PM
Jack, you are right. Nelson Pass did not design the X1. I believe it was the Vice President of the company and head of engineering that did. It still uses Super Symmetry design and Class A power as the X250. I should have the X1 Friday afternoon. I have been buying a lot of reference CD's and Hybrid SACD's in anticipation of the X1.

I already have 2 guys interested in buying my Van Alstine pre.

I will be watching for your impressions of the X1 as it will be on my short list.

harley .guy07
11-16-2013, 08:27 PM
From what I understand it is true that Pass himself does not design the preamps as he is so concentrated on power amp designs so there is another designer that does design their preamps but you know that they are designed to complement their amps so I would say that it will be a very good match.

frenchmon
11-16-2013, 09:00 PM
Raven....whatever happen to your Turntable idea? Did you decide not to go into vinyl?

blackraven
11-16-2013, 10:22 PM
Raven....whatever happen to your Turntable idea? Did you decide not to go into vinyl?

Frenchmon, it is on the back burner. To do it the way that I want to, it will cost about $3500 for TT, cartridge and phono preamp. Right now I have lots of high quality CD's, XRCD's and Hybrid SACD's. All my LP's are from my college days and not in the best of shape I am sure. So I would have to build a new LP collection. I think that my next upgrade will be a new DAC with XLR or one of the Reference Marantz SACD players if I can get a good deal on a used one. Besides, I am going to all this trouble to get my digital collection to sound its best and I am slowly getting there.

Marantz US | SA-11S3 (http://us.marantz.com/us/Products/Pages/ProductDetails.aspx?CatId=ReferenceSeries&SubCatId=0&ProductId=SA11S3)

Marantz US | SA-15S2B Limited (http://us.marantz.com/us/Products/Pages/ProductDetails.aspx?CatId=ReferenceSeries&SubCatId=0&ProductId=SA15S2BLimited)

Eventually, I may just go for a reasonable budget TT system. Maybe in the $1500 range. I have a good friend that wants to sell me this TT for about $600.

Google Image Result for http://www.acrylteller.com/WebRoot/Store2/Shops/es122814_acrylteller/4D1D/E1E8/8260/2190/297B/50ED/8960/42E5/4793540_plattenspieler_pro-ject_xperience_acryl_superpack_classic_turntable_a crylteller_acrylupgrade_deltadevice_acry (http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.acrylteller.com/WebRoot/Store2/Shops/es122814_acrylteller/4D1D/E1E8/8260/2190/297B/50ED/8960/42E5/4793540_plattenspieler_pro-ject_xperience_acryl_superpack_classic_turntable_a crylteller_acrylupgrade_deltadevice_acrylicupgrade platter_tizoacryl_005.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.acrylteller.com/PRO-JECT-Xperience-Acryl-SuperPack-DELTA-DEVICE-ACRYLIC-PLATTER-Puck&h=533&w=800&sz=91&tbnid=t_Z8Lr2XKxFcXM:&tbnh=93&tbnw=139&zoom=1&usg=__Xa4F48Q4LCRjLUBBWVcDGMr4ssY=&docid=8fCtbOUWisIySM&sa=X&ei=bmKIUumFDaO62AWdkoAw&ved=0CFYQ9QEwAw)

It's spring suspension system is a design disaster for pro-ject and it was phased out rather quickly. It is a great buy as it sold for more than double that. It has very good carbon tone arm and it sounds good. It is just touchy when you walk by it.

Also a new pair of Maggies may be in the future. The 3.7's look pretty good. I should have bought the 3.6's when my wife told me to get them over the 1.6's. I will just have to see how things sound with the preamp.

harley .guy07
11-17-2013, 09:19 AM
Also a new pair of Maggies may be in the future. The 3.7's look pretty good. I should have bought the 3.6's when my wife told me to get them over the 1.6's. I will just have to see how things sound with the preamp.

Wow Raven it sounds like you have a very cool and understanding wife when it comes to audio. To tell you to get the better and more importantly more expensive speakers is cool. It sounds like my wife when she told me to go ahead and jump on the Pass amp and quit playing around thinking of a mild upgrade just to want to upgrade again within a year. My wife said she would rather me spend more and get what I want rather than spend less several times to get to the level I want to get. I love when a spouse understands your passions and agrees with you following them to the fullest(within reason of course)

blackraven
11-17-2013, 03:10 PM
Harley, I do have an understanding wife. She told me to go ahead and buy the matching Pass X1 preamp now instead of waiting. She enjoys listening to music with me. I am a lucky man as my 22 year old son will sit and listen to music with me as well.

frenchmon
11-17-2013, 04:05 PM
Man...I wish I was so lucky to have family members listen to music with me.

That TT may just need a good isolation base and you're set!

blackraven
11-17-2013, 04:16 PM
Man...I wish I was so lucky to have family members listen to music with me.

That TT may just need a good isolation base and you're set!

My son will sit down and listen for 2 hours at a time with me. He is a budding audiophile. I gave him the PSB B6's, Maverick Tube Magic Pre/DAC and my CDA 254 digital amp which he swapped out with my A21 amp which I guess I am going to keep for now since my wife suggested I give it to my son. He knows that the Pass gear will all be his some day.

harley .guy07
11-17-2013, 08:22 PM
Man I wished when I was 22 my dad would have let me use his high end gear that was not used in his system in mine. But I had to pretty much start from scratch when I was young to build a system. I have always likes audio even from childhood but i could not break into the higher end stuff until I got older and could afford it.

Hyfi
11-18-2013, 06:06 AM
Jack,

Nelson Pass is a member of another forum I belong to and will answer questions if you have any from what I see.

Mr Peabody
11-18-2013, 06:53 AM
Which site is Pass on that could be a valuable source for us Pass owners?

Hyfi
11-18-2013, 06:55 AM

Audioshark.org is the forum

It is a no nonsense place with no arguments, trolling or otherwise. Just fully respectable people and posting. Lots of other Owners and dealers there also.

Mr Peabody
11-18-2013, 08:15 AM
First I've heard of that one, I'll have to check it out.

Hyfi
11-18-2013, 08:19 AM
Some folks that were dismissed or left AudioAficionado started that up a few months ago. Pretty sure Jack and yourself would fit in over there. I know Jack is a member of Aficionado but has not joined AS as of yet.

blackraven
11-18-2013, 09:37 AM

He is or was on this forum too. I have been to it several times in the past.-

Adcom 555II - Nelson Pass ? - diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/solid-state/5280-adcom-555ii-nelson-pass.html)

Jack in Wilmington
11-18-2013, 09:43 AM
Thanks, I'll join this afternoon. Mark at Reno HiFi has been very helpful with my questions so far.

frenchmon
11-18-2013, 11:25 AM
Some folks that were dismissed or left AudioAficionado started that up a few months ago. Pretty sure Jack and yourself would fit in over there. I know Jack is a member of Aficionado but has not joined AS as of yet.

Your right...Amando who was also at Audioficiondo and also Audiokarma is now over at Audioshark. He is the one that took the recent pictures of an audio gathering up in New York. I also joined both audioshark and AudioAficionado but never posted at audioshark.