Pioneer Elite BDP 95FD [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Pioneer Elite BDP 95FD

recoveryone
11-11-2013, 11:35 AM
This is not a new model, came out around 2007-8 but was the flagship BDP for pioneer at that time. It does not have the streaming of newer models but the PQ of this unit still top notch. The technology is moving so fast and blending together that its hard to impossible to keep up with the latest gear. This unit support all of the recent codes, only as a pass through to a equip AVR that does the decoding( my 81Tx still puts out a 7.1 signal via PCM just not from the new codecs). But if you are more into PQ and have a recent AVR this unit which can be had for under $150 now days (I got mine for $85) its a steal. Built like a tank compared to the units on the market today. Still has the analog outputs for 5.1 for those that don't have HDMI. The remote is better than the thin long ones that came out later with Pioneer units, still not backlit :( . I used the Hobbit and Pacific Rim as my test disk and the PQ was nothing short of jaw dropping. Hobbit was so smooth looking and Pacific rim had the look of 3D. The BDP 320 I had went upstairs and was no slouch in its own right and is a good fit with my VSX 520K that supports all the new codecs. I learned over the years that I may not be able to be first in line for all the new gagets that come out, but in time I can get one in my budget

Feanor
11-11-2013, 12:49 PM
Nice score!

recoveryone
11-12-2013, 02:02 PM
As a Vet myself I always spend most of the day watching war movies. Well I was out with the wife doing some early christmas shopping and stopped in apples bees for my free meal :). So it was around late afternoon when we return home. It was not until 7:30 I was able to gain control of the familyroom system. I popped in Redtails, as I did not have enough time to watch Band of Brothers or Pacific (my usual marathon viewing). This 95FD showed its prestine PQ and surprised me as it powered through some stuck parts (due to finger prints on disk). In the pass the 320 or 120 would have locked up and I would have had to restart the movie. It happen twice before I pulled the disk and gave it a good wipe down. I will have to try it on a old DVD and see how good the upscaling is. If its as good as the results I seen so far on Blu ray I am in for some good DVD replays. I have to admit the upgrade bug has bitten hard as I have been eyeing another AVR (Pioneer Elite SC 37) and give my 81Tx to one of my sons. :0

Worf101
11-14-2013, 11:07 AM
As a Vet myself I always spend most of the day watching war movies. Well I was out with the wife doing some early christmas shopping and stopped in apples bees for my free meal :). So it was around late afternoon when we return home. It was not until 7:30 I was able to gain control of the familyroom system. I popped in Redtails, as I did not have enough time to watch Band of Brothers or Pacific (my usual marathon viewing). This 95FD showed its prestine PQ and surprised me as it powered through some stuck parts (due to finger prints on disk). In the pass the 320 or 120 would have locked up and I would have had to restart the movie. It happen twice before I pulled the disk and gave it a good wipe down. I will have to try it on a old DVD and see how good the upscaling is. If its as good as the results I seen so far on Blu ray I am in for some good DVD replays. I have to admit the upgrade bug has bitten hard as I have been eyeing another AVR (Pioneer Elite SC 37) and give my 81Tx to one of my sons. :0
As a fellow Vet... (thanks for your service as well by the by)... the idea that we have to "gain control" of the space and gear WE PAY FOR is sad... extremely sad. If I EVER find the cat that said "a man's home is his castle" I'm gonna slap the taste out of his mouth! On your score... sounds like you got a good one. If you don't need streaming from that unit and it gives you good picture and the current sound codecs... you're golden! I've an old Oppo BDP 83. I didn't want to spend $500 large on a new one so I kept the 83 and bought an $88.00 Roku streamer as well!. Lagging edge is the new smart!

Worf

recoveryone
11-14-2013, 03:22 PM
Now I have a question for the hardware gurus in here. I played Ghost Protocol last night DD TrueHD and my 81TXv played it in PCM all 7.1 discrete. Now when I put in a DTS HD MA coded movie I get PCM+PLIIs+MV in 5.1 even though I get Virtural SB sound. So why do I get all 7.1 discrete from DD TrueHD via PCM and not the same from DTS HD MA. I have the BDP setup to send sound via PCM but these are the results? Sending up the Sir TT bat signal :) Don't get wrapped around the pole on this as I just scored a Pioneer Elite VSX 32 (sister unit to the SC 27) so I will be able to send the signal bitstream via HDMI 1.3a, the 81 only supports HDMI 1.2 and does not decode DD TrueHD & DTS HD MA.

recoveryone
11-15-2013, 01:48 PM
I finally put in a DVD to see how it would look. I used Saving Private Ryan (DTS), At first I was not impressed (many artifacts and grainy), then I remember I can change the resolution on the fly while viewing. I checked the display mode and saw that I was viewing in 480i, I went through varies modes 1080p/60, 1080p/24, 480p and so on and settled on 1080i. 1080i looked the best and look more natural than 1080p. Being able to adjust on the fly without stopping the movie is a big bonus as it lets you see the difference right away. The DVD look on par with HDTV showing of the film, so once again points scored for this unit in the convenience department.

recoveryone
11-21-2013, 06:30 PM
If you see my sig you notice I picked up the Elite VSX 32 and added it to the Family room lineup. Its nice to get all the latest bells and whistles, but Pioneer just kills me with their lack of forward thinking on remotes. They vastly improve the GUI for your TV to make the general tuning adjustments, but the other detail items are hidden in button combination that would make you think you are training for the next Mortal Combat game.

The remote layout is very poor, if they could have just invested a bit more into the remote that would make the Elite brand over the top of anything else out there. They should look back at the remotes that came with the old VSX 39TX and 49TXi those were both beast of a unit and the remotes were something out of the next century.

This VSX 32 can be setup as a 9.1 adding the High front or wide front speakers, definitely would need a room just for HT only with that many speakers or more. As for power, it was a direct change over from the VSX 81Txi w/110 per ch. I feel I satisfied the upgrade bug for a few years, unless they bring that Hologram TV system out, really puts you in the action.....LOL

Sade in Concert 2011 Blu Ray