Amplifier Output Question [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Amplifier Output Question

menschenstimme
11-11-2013, 10:24 AM
I have a 2- channel (stereo) amplifier with both RCA and XLR (balanced) outputs. I use only the RCA outputs. The XLR outputs have litte plugs in them with a resistor(?) that are there to prevent any noise from the XLR outputs being "open" so to speak. What is the official/professional name of these plugs? Thank you!

Feanor
11-11-2013, 12:44 PM
I have a 2- channel (stereo) amplifier with both RCA and XLR (balanced) outputs. I use only the RCA outputs. The XLR outputs have litte plugs in them with a resistor(?) that are there to prevent any noise from the XLR outputs being "open" so to speak. What is the official/professional name of these plugs? Thank you!
These plugs a "jumpers". You see this pretty often: they jump XLR connectors 1 (ground) and 3 (negative). They need to be in place to get best performance when using the single-ended, RCA connectors.

bfalls
11-13-2013, 08:21 AM
They seem to by some type of termination plug similar to the 25ohm termination plugs used in with thick-wire Ethernet networks.

menschenstimme
11-15-2013, 11:05 AM
Would this work for what I am trying to do?

Martin Professional 91613017 3-Pin XLR Male Termination Plug (120 Ohms) | Full Compass (http://www.fullcompass.com/product/260156.html)

Glen B
11-15-2013, 11:15 AM
What ARE you trying to do? You asked for the name of the plugs, which was answered.

menschenstimme
11-15-2013, 11:38 AM
Good question, Glen!

Now that I see how complicated things can get, I should have mentioned that from the start.

The reason I am asking is because we have an XLR INPUT on the church audio system that has some random noise on the line and wonder if something like this might cancel it out since this input is rarely used. We do not want to disconnect it. But one would pull out the little plug to access the XLR INPUT. We do NOT want to MUTE this input - but it is a long story why not.