I'm gonna be on the Today show tomorrow [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : I'm gonna be on the Today show tomorrow

Troy
04-22-2004, 01:38 PM
Talking about GarageBand (of all things). On a GB related message board was a post asking "Why are you obsessed with GB? Call me and tell me why. I'm doing a story for NBC news". So I called the guy and I guess he liked what he heard and sent a camera crew to my house the next day. Truly, a bizarre experience.

I have this desperate fear that I will sound like a pompous ass or a massive geek.

8:09 ET. Does that mean 5:09 out here on the left coast? I don't have a VCR anymore, can someone record this for me?

Jim Clark
04-22-2004, 02:41 PM
Talking about GarageBand (of all things). On a GB related message board was a post asking "Why are you obsessed with GB? Call me and tell me why. I'm doing a story for NBC news". So I called the guy and I guess he liked what he heard and sent a camera crew to my house the next day. Truly, a bizarre experience.

I have this desperate fear that I will sound like a pompous ass or a massive geek.

8:09 ET. Does that mean 5:09 out here on the left coast? I don't have a VCR anymore, can someone record this for me?

While it might be nice to have a back up for me, I'd be happy to record the show. I think that would make it 7:09 Friday morn. here. Sounds pretty darn funny you big geek.

jc

ForeverAutumn
04-22-2004, 02:46 PM
Did you manage to get a book plug in there somewhere?

I live in ET. I'll try to remember to set up a tape. And not just for you, but because I can add it to my collection of pompous ass tapes. :p

Swish
04-22-2004, 02:51 PM

Way cool Troy. One of my friends just made it on the Food Network (Roker on the Road was the show) for her skill of painting with chocolate of all things. She was commissioned by Sharon Osborne to paint Ozzie and his dog, and she displayed it on her show a few weeks back along with lots of free pub. Now she gets her mug on the Food Channel (is that what it's called), and lots more free pub.

I can't help you with the taping but I will try to remember to watch it.

Swish

mad rhetorik
04-22-2004, 02:59 PM

I'm happy for you Troy. I'll try to be up early and watch it. Don't worry about looking like a geek, you'll do fine.

Troy
04-22-2004, 03:49 PM
Did you manage to get a book plug in there somewhere?

Oh, sure! Who knows if they will actually use it though?

I have his uneasy feeling that they only part of the 10 minute interview is the part where I shrug and say "GarageBand is made for geeks like me!" Yes . . . I actually said it . . .

Thanks for taping it Jim.

DarrenH
04-22-2004, 05:07 PM
I'm gonna late for work tomorrow purposely just to watch this. I only live 10 minutes away anyhow so it's no biggie. I look forward to it.

Congrats Troy.

JDaniel
04-22-2004, 05:14 PM

I'll be watching in the a.m. But first a question. Excuse my stupidity. What the he!! is a garage band (or is it the obvious start up band practicing in the garage like we've all done at one time or another)? And why are you "obsessed" with it?

JD

Troy
04-22-2004, 06:34 PM
What the he!! is a garage band. And why are you "obsessed" with it?

JD

It's that music creation software I've been using nonstop since January. It's the most fun I've ever had with a computer.

I made this:

http://www.designshed.com/toonage/Bellybutton.mp3

Used a loop for the main part of the drums and wrote the rest of it and told the computer to play it with those instruments.

This is a collaboration I did with another obsessed GB geek. He built the basic rhythm track guitars, bass, atmosphere and vocals and I threw the insane drums, surf guitar and heavily distorted guitars with Porcupine Tree synths layered over the top:

http://www.designshed.com/toonage/BorateOxide.mp3
It was just an experiment to see if collaboration could work. It does.

This one is in 7/8 and I wrote every note:

http://www.designshed.com/toonage/KlaxonDance.mp3

I constantly have a handful of songs that I'm working on. I can't stop.

Dave_G
04-22-2004, 06:47 PM
Wotta frikking geek.

Hell yes I will watch it and tape it bigger than Dallas.

You now owe me 50,000 beers.

Dave

PPG
04-22-2004, 07:04 PM
Congrats on your TV appearance, dude. I won't be watching (I'll be at work) but I will be recording it on my DVR (digital video recorder) which I can then easily transfer to video if anyone wants a copy. The software sounds interesting, I'll be checking it out. (Edit): I looked it up - Mac only, huh? No PC version? Crap.

Dusty Chalk
04-22-2004, 09:07 PM
I wish I watched TV...I'd watch this. But alas, I'm not set up to tape...

If, for no other reason, just to see what you look like without a fish-eye lens...and all the cool toys in the background...

newtrix1
04-23-2004, 05:09 AM
Congrats on your TV appearance, dude. I won't be watching (I'll be at work) but I will be recording it on my DVR (digital video recorder) which I can then easily transfer to video if anyone wants a copy. The software sounds interesting, I'll be checking it out. (Edit): I looked it up - Mac only, huh? No PC version? Crap.

I have off today (Friday), so I could easily have watched (or taped) this. But now it's 9 AM (EST), and I'm guessing I missed it. The Today Show is still on right now, so maybe it's yet to come on.

PPG, I'd sure love to see this if you're making copies! You know it's me right? The other Rick.

PPG
04-23-2004, 05:36 AM
I have off today (Friday), so I could easily have watched (or taped) this. But now it's 9 AM (EST), and I'm guessing I missed it. The Today Show is still on right now, so maybe it's yet to come on.

PPG, I'd sure love to see this if you're making copies! You know it's me right? The other Rick.

newtrix1, what other Rick? The only other Rick I know is some guy who used to hang out here on the old forums who also went by some initials. :-) Silly rabbit, trix are for kids.

Rick, yeah, I'll run you off a copy, no prob.

newtrix1
04-23-2004, 09:18 AM
newtrix1, what other Rick? The only other Rick I know is some guy who used to hang out here on the old forums who also went by some initials. :-) Silly rabbit, trix are for kids.

Rick, yeah, I'll run you off a copy, no prob.

I watched the show from 9-10AM, but no Troy. Looking forward to seeing his 2nd 15 minutes of fame (or is it his 3rd?). ;)

guy who went by initials...hmmm...I think that loser was rail-roaded outta here :p