home theater avr and music avr with 2 speakers--good tech question [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : home theater avr and music avr with 2 speakers--good tech question

bipper
11-04-2013, 06:22 AM
here is a good question for audiophiles...

SETUP
Right now I have a Marantz receiver and the front channel pre-outs from the receiver are going to a two channel amplifier which are running the front two speakers.

I also have a seperate dedicated pre-amp for my music (cd, tape) which is also running to the SAME 2 channel amplifer.

I am using a Y connector ( double female to single male RCA) to connect the RCA from the dedicated music preamp and also from the Marantz receiver to the 2 channel amplifier

PROBLEM
when I play a movie the front speakers are not very loud even if i increase the volume in the Marantz setup screen.

If I disconnect the rca's that come from the the dedicated music preamp the volume is perfect

So basically I am using my 2 channel amplifier to power my front speakers for music and home theater

Option
If I only use my 2 channel amplifier to power the speakers for the music and use the receiver to power my front speakers, the marantz is going into safe mode.

Appreciate your input, what do I do??
thank you for reading...

blackraven
11-04-2013, 09:42 AM
You need an amp or preamp switcher like this-

Niles Audio AXP-1 Auxiliary Input Selector - Smarthome (http://www.smarthome.com/6720/Niles-Audio-AXP-1-Auxiliary-Input-Selector/p.aspx)

The Decware Zen Switchbox model ZSB (http://www.decware.com/newsite/ZSB.html)

Kramer 4X4A 4x1 Audio Switcher and 1 4 Distribution Amplifier Xcaseproaudio | eBay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kramer-4X4A-4x1-Audio-Switcher-and-1-4-Distribution-Amplifier-XCaseProAudio-/370917613352?pt=US_Other_Pro_Audio&hash=item565c699f28)

I had the same problem until I had a Home theater bypass switch installed in my main preamp.

Mr Peabody
11-04-2013, 06:05 PM
As you are finding out, you cannot connect two preamps to one amp, nor can you connect two amps to one set of speakers, this could have blown your amp and receiver, thankfully the protection worked.

If your preamp doesn't have a home theater bypass you can use the tape monitor loop, push the tape loop on when watching movies and connect the receiver pre outs into the tape input, you'll have to keep the volume level on the stereo preamp the same each time after calibrating the receiver. Actually, thinking about it you shouldn't have to worry about the volume of the preamp using the tape loop. If you use some other input you would.

Or, what I do is have two systems but connect/disconnect at the back of the speaker depending on which system I'm using. Easy with banana plugs.

Mr Peabody
11-04-2013, 06:08 PM
To clarify once you have the receiver connected to the tape loop you can leave it that way and use the tape monitor switch to choose which system is used. When on it will pass the receiver signal, when off the stereo will operate as normal.

bipper
11-06-2013, 06:11 AM
9527Mr Peabody
appreciate the help/advice in short you are recommending:
connect the front channel pre- outs from my receiver to the pre amp tape input? ( which is the "play" input on the top of the picture)

connect my cd player to the cd input on the back of my pre amp?

On my Pre-amp press tape to listen/watch movies press cd to listen to music?

here is a picture of my pre-amp

equipment
marantz 5008 receiver
adcom gfa 555 amplifier
myriad 100 pre-amp
B&W CM9 speakers
PSB surround
Cambridge Audio CD player
Nakamichi 680zx tape
Rotel tuner

Hyfi
11-06-2013, 06:19 AM
I do something similar.

I have a dedicated 2Ch setup with Pre and Amp driving mains
I have an HT receiver driving Rears, Center, and Sub
I run the Front L/R Pre outs to an Input on my Pre
I set the Volume on 2CH pre to about 1pm to match volume of HT
I also run my Sub thru an old Realistic AV switchbox so I can flip it one way for HT and the other way if I want it in my 2CH setup

My pre does not have HT Bypass and I use a regular input without issues (although my Integra 30.3 is in the repair center now because it lost all sound output...hopefully not from the way I was using the Pre Outs)

bipper
11-06-2013, 06:34 AM
Hi Hyfi
thanks for the input.. have you ever run it the way mr peabody recommended? your way definitely works but then every time you decrease the volume on your receiver you also have to adjust it on the pre-amp also. I think Mr. Peabody way, there is no need to adjust the volume on the preamp and receiver

Hyfi
11-06-2013, 07:04 AM
Hi Hyfi
thanks for the input.. have you ever run it the way mr peabody recommended? your way definitely works but then every time you decrease the volume on your receiver you also have to adjust it on the pre-amp also. I think Mr. Peabody way, there is no need to adjust the volume on the preamp and receiver

No, once I set the volume on the main pre to about 1pm, the volume from the HT handles it perfectly. When I get the unit back I will play with the Tape Loop input to see if there is a difference. My pre has dual volume knobs with click positions so I have it marked.

blackraven
11-06-2013, 09:32 AM
Just get the Niles switcher and you won't have to worry about matching volumes. Run both preamp outs into the box and the output to the amp. I used one of these and did not notice any degradation of sound.

You can buy it here at a discount for $64

Niles AXP1 Auxiliary Input Selector (http://www.cudakitchen.com/niles-axp1-auxiliary-input-selector-AXP1)

Mr Peabody
11-06-2013, 05:50 PM
You got it.
Pretty nice set up.

9527Mr Peabody
appreciate the help/advice in short you are recommending:
connect the front channel pre- outs from my receiver to the pre amp tape input? ( which is the "play" input on the top of the picture)

connect my cd player to the cd input on the back of my pre amp?

On my Pre-amp press tape to listen/watch movies press cd to listen to music?

here is a picture of my pre-amp

equipment
marantz 5008 receiver
adcom gfa 555 amplifier
myriad 100 pre-amp
B&W CM9 speakers
PSB surround
Cambridge Audio CD player
Nakamichi 680zx tape
Rotel tuner