Is markw ban permanent or temp? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Is markw ban permanent or temp?

Smokey
11-03-2013, 10:33 PM
We definitely need more members participation, not less :)

ForeverAutumn
11-04-2013, 09:54 AM
I didn't even realize that he'd been banned (again). But it looks like it's permanent.

Mr Peabody
11-04-2013, 05:44 PM
How does some one know they are banndd? Do you receive notification, site just don't work etc.?

ForeverAutumn
11-04-2013, 06:44 PM
I have no idea. Want me to ban you so you can find out? ;)

I kid, I kid.

I suspect that you just try to log on and can't. But usually there are warnings by the mods, via PM, before the ban occurs. I would rather give a member the opportunity to toe the line before banning him (or her). Unless it's spam. Spammers just get an automatic and permanent ban without warning.

Mr Peabody
11-04-2013, 08:32 PM
No, that's quite alright, I'm good :). Boy, that is true what they say about curiosity and the AR member...... or, was that cat.

We do seem to get a few new members, I think it's important to keep a look out on the Community Welcome, to respond when folks visit. Things also seem to go smoother when we stick to music and audio, keeping away from the personal issues.

I did wonder though at one point the site didn't work well for me, it got better after the AR redesign but it's still a bit quirky. I suspect the site may not play well with older versions of Windows. I have a new computer with Windows 8 that works pretty well on AR but still there's occasions when pages don't load properly when clicking a link, mostly "quick reply".

TheHills44060
11-05-2013, 07:15 AM
You can tell right away because you can log on to the forum and read threads like normal but you cannot reply to any posts. Your profile also becomes disabled so you cannot make any changes to it. In my experience the moderators and admin on audioreview are fair so you'll receive a private message or even an email discussing the reason and terms of the ban.

Things may or may not be different after the recent site redesign though.

Worf101
11-09-2013, 07:41 PM
Wowser..... this place is pretty tolerant... must've been one helluva dust-up to warrant a crash landing! This place can get kinda "heated" but it's usually just between folks who believe they've the only "true" knowledge on a particular subject... It goes downhill from there... Still this place looks like "Romper Room" compared to some places I've been. Game forums are notorious!

Worf

Hyfi
11-10-2013, 11:52 AM
My wife and I will be driving up to Newark next Saturday to spend the day with Mark and his wife.

I will let him know his friends were concerned.

blackraven
11-10-2013, 06:31 PM
My wife and I will be driving up to Newark next Saturday to spend the day with Mark and his wife.

Give him my best. I never had a beef with him. He stated his mind, could be crass and was certainly opinionated as most eastcoasters are, me included as I grew up in Brooklyn NY and left to go to college in Oklahoma.

Feanor
11-11-2013, 05:14 AM
Give him my best. I never had a beef with him. He stated his mind, could be crass and was certainly opinionated as most eastcoasters are, me included as I grew up in Brooklyn NY and left to go to college in Oklahoma.
My best too. He dissed me pretty severely on a two or three occasions but, hey, I'm tough skinned. Apart from Off Topic stuff he is fairly tolerable.

Hyfi
11-11-2013, 05:28 AM
Feanor - Raven,

I will let him know. One thing to remember, pretty much none of us are who we appear to be when we meet in real life. No matter what it looks like here, Mark and his wife spent a day at my home a few months ago and they were one of the nicest and generous couples we have met in a long time.

I would 'almost' bet that Yech (Bryan) was a totally different person in real life than he led us all to believe.

Worf- I missed the whole thing myself due to being away at Oracle training that week. From what I heard, it was really not as big a deal as some of the other breakdowns.

ForeverAutumn
11-11-2013, 09:27 AM
I would 'almost' bet that Yech (Bryan) was a totally different person in real life than he led us all to believe.

Anyone who would "pretend" to be Yech and get enjoyment from the things he said and did, couldn't be totally mentally stable in the first place.

While I agree that there is nothing like meeting someone face-to-face to see who they really are, I also believe that the people we appear to be on-line aren't too far removed from reality. We may say things under the guise of anonymity here that we might not say to a person's face, but in order to say it here you have to think it first.

Feanor
11-11-2013, 09:39 AM
While I agree that there is nothing like meeting someone face-to-face to see who they really are, I also believe that the people we appear to be on-line aren't too far removed from reality. We may say things under the guise of anonymity here that we might not say to a person's face, but in order to say it here you have to think it first.
Very well put.

Hyfi
11-11-2013, 09:39 AM
Anyone who would "pretend" to be Yech and get enjoyment from the things he said and did, couldn't be totally mentally stable in the first place.
Well I did quote the word "Almost"

While I agree that there is nothing like meeting someone face-to-face to see who they really are, I also believe that the people we appear to be on-line aren't too far removed from reality.

Yes and no. I can be very sarcastic and mean spirited online, but if you met me or anyone who knows me, you may think differently.

We may say things under the guise of anonymity here that we might not say to a person's face, but in order to say it here you have to think it first.

And that would make just about everyone who posted in any off topic, and sometimes on topic, a big ahole, including myself.

ForeverAutumn
11-11-2013, 10:59 AM
And that would make just about everyone who posted in any off topic, and sometimes on topic, a big ahole, including myself.

No. Not at all. My point is more that in order to make a disparaging comment about a person, you first have to think that way. Someone who doesn't care about another person's race or colour, for example, would never think to make a racist comment. In order to make a racist comment, you must first think like a racist.

This is just an example to make my point and not intended to reflect upon any one person or situation.

Hyfi
11-11-2013, 11:42 AM
Well I vote that Mark's ban gets lifted and people start growing a thicker skin.
There were plenty of racist comments from many people of different races back in the Zimmerman thread that got everybody's pencil bent.
And some of those people are seemingly reverse-racists.

ForeverAutumn
11-11-2013, 11:58 AM
OMG! It was an example to make my point. I'm not pointing any fingers at anyone. I'm just saying that before your mouth can speak, or your fingers can type, first your brain must think. Brains rule!

dean_martin
11-11-2013, 08:18 PM

Please send my humble regards to Mark, the king of shock-and-awe outbursts. Hail, King Mark!

Smokey
11-11-2013, 09:08 PM
While I agree that there is nothing like meeting someone face-to-face to see who they really are, I also believe that the people we appear to be on-line aren't too far removed from reality.I definitely agree with your statement. You can tell pretty much a person's personality by their writings and their interaction with other members. If one have short fuse and tend to blow up and get luod in real life, rest assure that it will also seep thru their online personality.

Worf101
11-14-2013, 11:48 AM
I definitely agree with your statement. You can tell pretty much a person's personality by their writings and their interaction with other members. If one have short fuse and tend to blow up and get luod in real life, rest assure that it will also seep thru their online personality.

See Smokey is a perfect Gentleman online but offline.... hasn't washed in years!

LOL sorry Smoke I couldn't resisst.

Worf

Smokey
11-14-2013, 09:01 PM
See Smokey is a perfect Gentleman online but offline.... hasn't washed in years!Festus never washed and he was always a perfect gentleman. So I'm in the clear :D

3LB
12-11-2013, 05:42 PM
I don't know why people don't just use the ignore function.

I've read the thread in question and while I don't see the world the same way markw does, I didn't think he said anything that would get him banned. If it was supposedly a behavior issue, there's far more agressively disrespectful posters here at AR than markw that never get banned or even suspended.

and besides, isn't he just suspended anyways?

Hyfi
12-12-2013, 05:34 AM
I don't know why people don't just use the ignore function.

I've read the thread in question and while I don't see the world the same way markw does, I didn't think he said anything that would get him banned. If it was supposedly a behavior issue, there's far more agressively disrespectful posters here at AR than markw that never get banned or even suspended.

and besides, isn't he just suspended anyways?

I missed the whole thing too but apparently there were several replies deleted just prior to his banning. Mark is doing just fine and I agree he should not have been banned without banning the rest of us who participate in off topic threads that get heated. As I said before, some people need to grow a thicker skin and like you said, just ignore whoever they don't like unless they want to have the uncivil discourse.

Hey, just think, if they ban about 4 more people, the only message we will see is the one that says There are now New Posts, which I get 3/4 of every day anyway when I check in.

TheHills44060
12-12-2013, 02:29 PM
...As I said before, some people need to grow a thicker skin and like you said, just ignore whoever they don't like unless they want to have the uncivil discourse.
Couldn't agree more hyfi

Sir Terrence the Terrible
12-18-2013, 06:12 PM
I definitely agree with your statement. You can tell pretty much a person's personality by their writings and their interaction with other members. If one have short fuse and tend to blow up and get luod in real life, rest assure that it will also seep thru their online personality.

Smokester,
This is a really bad generalization if I have ever seen one. You cannot tell anything about a person online, because you may think they are a hot head, and they may be as calm as a gentle rain on the other side of the keyboard. We don't know a hot head from a very passionate, informed and educated person. We cannot tell nuance or subtlety, and since we don't actually know the person, we don't know their state of mind when they are posting.

I am going to admit it..I didn't like Mark at all. It has nothing to do with his off topic postings(which I think are narrow minded racist dogma). It had to do with his posturing on topics he knew nothing about. He would argue just for the sake of doing so, and I found that pretty tedious.

Smokey
12-18-2013, 09:59 PM
We cannot tell nuance or subtlety, and since we don't actually know the person, we don't know their state of mind when they are posting.I would say that is a fair statement. God knows I have deleted many posts thinking "what the hell I was thinking about". But after many years we all have been here on AR, we get good feel of each other's personality :)